Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6227 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 25 of 92
08 April 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I tried the Assimil way getting upto lesson 57. Then I decided, after having such poor results, to drill the entire course using an SRS.

I actually feel bad now for saying the course is a load of rubbish, I think I'm just frustrated. Maybe it is my method that is to blame. My argument is that if after having drilled the course to the point where I can seriously get nearly all of the individual sentences correct, how can people that put less effort than this say it has made them next to fluent?

Regards
1 person has voted this message useful

Jimmymac
United Kingdom
strange-lands.com/le
Joined 5962 days ago

276 posts - 362 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 26 of 92
08 April 2009 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:
Yes, I tried the Assimil way getting upto lesson 57. Then I decided, after having such poor results, to drill the entire course using an SRS.

I actually feel bad now for saying the course is a load of rubbish, I think I'm just frustrated. Maybe it is my method that is to blame. My argument is that if after having drilled the course to the point where I can seriously get nearly all of the individual sentences correct, how can people that put less effort than this say it has made them next to fluent?

Regards

Maybe it is the way in which you use the information. I believe that some people may memorize sentence after sentence without thinking a great deal about the language and how it can be manipulated; they end up being able to repeat exactly what they have learnt rote but are not as intuitive or flexible with the language as someone who has thought a great deal about it or is an experienced learning.

Edited by Jimmymac on 08 April 2009 at 4:40pm

fredmf
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6272 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 27 of 92
08 April 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

You need to actually use the language creatively to get anywhere.

I agree -- well, I'd temper it by saying that I found this to be true for me. I came to this conclusion after using both of Assimil's French courses quite a bit. In my experience, it fostered a certain amount of passive learning that didn't seem to translate directly to activation (I feel that the "active phase" is the weakest part of the course). Furthermore, I didn't find "shadowing" very useful as a means of activating the language, either. It wasn't until I started to use active techniques that forced me to come up with language on my own that I (a) discovered what words I needed, (b) what constructions, tenses, etc., were giving me trouble, and (c) how to really make the language sink into my subconscious, and thereby helped my comprehension of spoken/written French.

So while I wouldn't toss off the course as rubbish, I would say that for me, it had both its uses and its limitations.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5708 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 28 of 92
08 April 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I feel the need to reply to this, because almost everything in it is wrong.

One cannot really be "wrong" about these things, as there is more than a single approach to learning languages. Besides, that one needs to work through several distinct resources, manuals and methods, to at some point take a careful look at grammar, and finally to immerse yourself in the target language's letters and sounds is perfectly sensible and profitable advice, and one is bound to do better by following it than by doing the opposite.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5708 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 29 of 92
08 April 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
The fact is that Assimil is a comprehensive language course. And yes, as Volte says, it has brought me and others to fluency by itself.

I don't mean to become enmeshed in this polemic, but I find the above statement to be untenable. No doubt you may have mastered the basic forms and elementary vocabulary of a language from an Assimil course, but any meaningful interpretation of the word 'fluency' would lie hopelessly beyond the reach of any 500 page manual.

Assimil is just a good first step. Much, much more work will be required before one can claim to be 'fluent' in a language.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6484 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 30 of 92
08 April 2009 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:

Regards

Maybe they are gifted people or maybe they are lying.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6484 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 31 of 92
08 April 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:
fanatic wrote:
The fact is that Assimil is a comprehensive language course. And yes, as Volte says, it has brought me and others to fluency by itself.

I don't mean to become enmeshed in this polemic, but I find the above statement to be untenable. No doubt you may have mastered the basic forms and elementary vocabulary of a language from an Assimil course, but any meaningful interpretation of the word 'fluency' would lie hopelessly beyond the reach of any 500 page manual.

I have used the two Assimil courses to learn English (Inglés sin esfuerzo e Inglés sin perfeccionamiento). I listened both courses around 100 times and I introduced almost 1,000 Assimil sentences into my SRS. I know what I am talking about.

Assimil is just a good first step. Much, much more work will be required before one can claim to be 'fluent' in a language.

I agree. Assimil is only other method. We need much more than Assimil to get "fluency".
We need lot of real, native audio and a lot of production is unavoidable as well.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 92
08 April 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:

Well, if you use Assimil as your only/primary method whilst being immersed in the country for a while (as I believe fanatic did/was) it may be difficult to say which of the two factors played the main part. From my own experience, Assimil has proven to provide the best content: entertaining, stimulating, interesting and what not.

Use it as a phrase book and you will get nowhere. Use it in every way you can, and you will learn a lot.

Everybody have their own definitions of the word "fluency", and while mine (and others) is something like about being able to "get by in everyday situations without too much difficulty", yours obviously isn't.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 08 April 2009 at 8:21pm

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version