United States
howlearnspanish.com
Joined 5028 days ago

42 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 113 of 213
10 July 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
I think how familiar you are with the language has a great deal to do with how many words per day you can learn.

Meaning that if it's a language you've just started learning, especially if it doesn't use a writing system you're familiar with (e.g. you're a native English speaker and you've just started learning Japanese), you're going to be a lot slower starting out than if you've been at it for a while. Now that I'm intimately familiar with Spanish, and most importantly how verbs are conjugated in that language, it's much, much easier for me to learn new words than it was at the beginning.

You'll also have a much easier time if a language you already speak is related to the one you're learning, such as someone who speaks Spanish already trying to learn Portuguese or Italian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5070 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 114 of 213
10 July 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Akalabeth wrote:
If you study multiple directions it can be helpful from a
motivation stand point to suspend all but one direction and do them each one at a time.
So rather than see yourself with 100 reviews you'd see yourself with 50 L2→L1, and then
50 L1→L2. You see small easily attainable goals rather than one big one, even if the
total work is the same.

It's a good advice to those who do both directions, and I'm a fan of small goals myself. However, I only study
words to one direction (question:Finnish, answer:target language), I've never felt the need to do the other
direction. I recently increased the amount of daily new words (despite the fact that the reviews seemed a lot of
work already), because I'm on a time limit here and I really need to go through a lot of grammar and related
sentences plus learn more vocabulary and I've started to use Anki for more than just the inflections. So if I add
more stuff, I need to learn more words per day.

I'll relax a bit, when I see that I can actually do everything in the time I have.
2 persons have voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5041 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 115 of 213
10 July 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Good plan Chirel! That's exactly why I'd been having so many words per day. I had been adding massive amounts of cards every day, and so I needed to see a fair amount of them every day in order to make sure I'd see them all. Either way though, there will come a point where everything will just even out, and you'll be down to 10 or 20 reviews per day. Still, the only way that will happen is if you stop adding new cards, and it might be a little while before you feel like you can actually do that. Still, very good plan, just do what you have to to make it work!
1 person has voted this message useful

dolly
United States
Joined 5550 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 116 of 213
10 July 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
chirel wrote:
However, I only study words to one direction (question:Finnish, answer:target language), I've never felt the need to do the other direction.

Very good move, in my opinion. When I started my L2 I got into the habit of only studying for passive understanding and I regretted it later.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5112 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 117 of 213
13 July 2010 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Unfortunately I do not manage to study my languages every day, and when I do, often I do not focus on vocabulary. I find this to be the worst part of language learning, as there just doesn't seem to be a great method of memorizing tons of words, and even when one does acquire a useable amount of vocabulary, there are still tons of words that need to be learned. With that said, often I try to just memorize the words as I go, while reading a grammar, book or graded reader of sorts. During these situations, I easily learn 20 - 50 some words, and after seeing them numerous times and looking them up multiple times, I just remember them.

There are instances, however, where I feel that I want to beef out my vocabulary and in these situations, I can learn between 50 - 150 words in a day, comfortably, although it may require a few hours. For instance, I gathered several of my German sources yesterday and decided that it is time for me to learn my musical terms in German, since I am a musician. I glanced over words such as "Viertelnote," "punktierte halbe Note," "Bund," "schwarze Taste" and "Wirbel" once or twice, and for the most part, the terms stuck in my mind. I just wrote them on flashcards and went through the rotation once or twice. For me, thematic approaches work so much better for memorizing vocabulary, as one can see words in relation to one another, and thus it sticks better.

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5104 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 118 of 213
13 July 2010 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
It takes me about 4 days to really memorise about 30 words in German. But about a week or
so for me to really recall it.

What has help me a lot of hearing the pronunciation of the word a couple of times and not
actually trying to memorise words helps me memorise them.

Edited by zekecoma on 13 July 2010 at 9:23am

astein
Pentaglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5028 days ago

80 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, French, Mandarin
Studies: Russian, Dutch

Message 119 of 213
13 July 2010 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
This may seem paradoxical, but I have found that my recall is better when I learn more
words in a day. Also, I don't even mean more words for a particular language. If I
learn 500 Chinese words one day, alongside 250 German words, I will recall the German
words better than if I had only studied those, and I will certainly recall the Chinese
words better. I don't know why this is, but it has seemed to be true for me. Last week
I managed to learn 2500 cards of German and 1600 Chinese, putting in about 1.5 hours
total for learning per day, with another 1-2 hours for review.

My Anki deck is starting to get scary, though. I have around 1,300 reviews a day for
each deck for the next 10 days straight. Yikes!

When you have a bunch of reviews, I have found that a good method is to sort the deck
so that short interval reviews come first. You can get through the new reviews (which
are arguably the most important) while you still have your sanity. Then, it is a bit of
a snowball effect as you near the end, seeing as the answer should be completely
automatic once you have an interval of 4-5 months. By the way, I never, ever rate the
cards at 4 "very easy", as the multiplication effect can take the interval way to high.
I like to keep it so that I can go through at a very nice pace, even if it means more
cards. I know you can change the multipliers, but I am simply to lazy to figure out
where they should be.

Edited by astein on 13 July 2010 at 10:15pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5112 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 120 of 213
13 July 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
astein, those numbers are totally amazing.

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version