Groupie
Australia
Joined 4999 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 137 of 213
03 September 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
I flicked through this thread and i'm amazed that people can learn 200+ words per day! I've never tried to be
honest, but i never thought that was possible...

If i was wanted to learn up to 50 latin words per day, how would i go about doing this, and retaining the words?
I read Anki was good, and also using a SRS, any suggestions which is best? I want to just learn how to translate from
Latin to English, but i don't really need to learn how to write in Latin, but i still need to know the different forms of
the words so i can tell whats happening to it.
So would it then be better to learn 15-20? What methods? As i want to learn 1500 very well in about 3 months.
Possible?
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 138 of 213
03 September 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
There is huge difference between learning 200 words that resemble words you know in your or other languages, or that use familiar stems, and learning 200 words that look like nothing you know.

There are only so many shouchou, jouhou, kyouchou, kyouhou and koujyou one can learn in a day.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 139 of 213
03 September 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Since my primary goal is to actually speak and write the language, when I learn vocabulary, I'm interested in how to use the words, and especially in idioms. For me learning a word means learning a range of examples that illustrate the varied usages. Just today I spent 30 minutes on the verb "quedar" in Spanish that took up an entire page in my big Oxford dictionary. As a matter of fact, I find that as my knowledge progresses I am revisiting words that I thought I knew well but that I am now seeing in a new light. I find that at my level I can only work on 4 or 5 words a day but with emphasis on idiomatic usage.
3 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 140 of 213
03 September 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
vexx wrote:
If i was wanted to learn up to 50 latin words per day, how would i go about doing this, and retaining the words?
So would it then be better to learn 15-20?

Find the number that works for you. An interesting bit of advice I've seen is to start with 20 words per day, go like that for a week, then ramp up to 30 words/day the following week, and so on, until you find your natural limit (the person whose site this was at said he got up to 100/day, but found it a bit painful, so he eventually dropped down to 80/day which was more comfortable for him). Of course, it takes time to look up and record so many words, and then to review them, so the number you can manage may be limited by the amount of time you have, and not just by what your mind can handle in principle.

Flashcards, paper or electronic, are one way to memorize words. Another is lists of some sort, especially if you find that the very process of writing down the words and their translations helps you memorize them. I used to like ordinary notebooks for vocabulary for that reason.

Edited by frenkeld on 03 September 2010 at 10:52pm

vexx
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4999 days ago

81 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 141 of 213
04 September 2010 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
^ Thanks.
I already have my list for Latin with the meanings, so i can just copy+paste them into a flashcard program and then
learn then this way. Ok i'll start around that many words and see how i go.

So i saw Anki was a good SRS to use, but i found it a bit annoying as i just want something simpler.
Is there a program like Anki with how the flashcards are, but instead being able to have buttons like 'put back in
deck' and 'remove from pile'?
So you can basically just keep going through the cards until you have none left, getting them all right?
And then add to it easily, and have none of that timing/confusion.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5000 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 142 of 213
04 September 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
In summary: between 10 and 150 per day depending on any memory hooks. I feel that the rate is increasing.   

Over a period of three weeks of concentrating on Spanish I have acquired 30 phrases per day with an average of six words per phrase. For each phrase I have identified the verbs and the nouns and looked up related words:

eg:
Sir, could you tell me the way to the church of Santo Domingo ?

would generate a number of other possible destinations: police station, dentist, etc
and a few other verbs: draw, write, describe etc so I have 2400 unique lexemes. So that is just over a hundred per day. I aim to learn one new irregular verb per day as well.

In polish I am still learning to read as the pronuniciation is so different to anything I have studied before including Russian but I have learned translations of 30 new words per day which are mainly nouns but with a few simple sentences. When I can read like a six year old which should happen this month I will then move on to my preferred method of learning phrases and longer sentences.

In Japanese I am revising 10 kanji per day; I can read the hirigana/katakana and I ensure there are ten uses of each kanji, ideally with all possible readings of the kanji and with the ones I already know.

I have also picked up twenty odd phrases in Danish too but I didnt make any particular effort I don't remember where they came from but I am definitely blaming this site!

When I followed the government long language course the daily task was ten lexemes per day five days a week over 63 weeks.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6724 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 143 of 213
04 September 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
vexx wrote:
So i saw Anki was a good SRS to use, but i found it a bit annoying as i just want something simpler.

Try Mnemosyne and see if you like it better.

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5586 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 144 of 213
04 September 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
vexx wrote:
So i saw Anki was a good SRS to use, but i found it a bit
annoying as i just want something simpler.

Try Mnemosyne and see if you like it better.

I see they have an android version. I just ordered my first smartphone. I may try it
then.

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version