Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5117 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 153 of 213
12 September 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I don't learn a standard amount of words per day but I learn around a hundred a week so around 14 per day. These are just the ones I actually memorise though, I learn another handful passively each week through immersion.
1 person has voted this message useful

Soulglider009
China
beyondbounds.or
Joined 4958 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Mandarin

Message 154 of 213
23 September 2010 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
At the moment I'm learning about 20-30 new words a day (Kanji), incuding pronunciation /
meaning and use. I think that pace is pretty good as long as you keep it up.

I use Anki + Smart.fm though, so it makes things easier. I keep a 90%+ retention rate.

For those that learn more than 50+ a day.. Wow you guys are really dedicated! Do you
learn language for a living? How do you find time for other things?

genini1
United States
Joined 5250 days ago

114 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 155 of 213
23 September 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
50 isn't too far out there to learn if you sneak a few in here and there, or are like me and just learn half of your words for the day in chemistry class.

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5010 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 156 of 213
24 November 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Question for the people memorizing 200+ words a day.

Do you aim to just remember the meaning of the word, or be able to translate from your mother tongue back to that word.

i.e you are learning Russian.

Transmission - передачи

is on your list of 200 words, the next day can you hear "Transmission" and immediately recall the Russian word and write it down with proper spelling?, or are you just aiming to hear the Russian word, and know the meaning?.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 157 of 213
24 November 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
200 words a day? If you can learn over 2500 words in 2 weeks, what's stopping you from become fluent in several new languages every year?

If you could learn every imaginable judo move in a few weeks, you still wouldn't be a judo master. The habits you need to create to speak a language fluently -- or to become a judo master -- take time to form. Whether you learn all the words or all the moves in a short time or over a longer, more natural period of time is, imho, insignificant compared to the time you'll need to form the right habits. This, I think, makes learning words in a hurry a waste of energy.

If I look at my situation, I've been studying Japanese for a little over 2 years. I must have amassed a vocabulary of about 2000 words. I often meet with natives and we can have interesting conversations, so whatever it is I did, it worked ok. If that number is correct, then I've only learned about 3 words a day! I think most people would be happy "speaking" (to whatever degree) a non-European language after 2 years of study, and yet, this implies you'd have only learned 2 or 3 words a day. In my case, I think I learn several words a day, but I learn them imperfectly. I let exposure determine how important words are, and when they are important, they occur often and I learn them. Gradually. Eventually.

And while this acquisition of vocabulary is slowly progressing, I keep learning the grammar, the usage, the habits. You can't become fluent until you have established the proper linguistic habits anyway, and that takes time.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 158 of 213
24 November 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Whether you learn all the words or all the moves in a short time or
over a longer, more natural period of time is, imho, insignificant compared to the time
you'll need to form the right habits. This, I think, makes learning words in a hurry a
waste of energy.

I used to think the same, until I met a person who learned more than 100 words per day
in German, everyday, for three months. So that, after three months his vocabulary was a
whopping 10,000 words, and his abilities in the language were (and still are)
astonishing.

The problem I face, though, is not that remembering words is so hard, but that
forgetting them is so easy. I am always looking for ways to prevent forgetting from
occurring, and have found several techniques that somewhat work for me - but all take
effort and have limited results. Some people seem to be very good at this naturally,
and I envy them.

Edited by Splog on 24 November 2010 at 6:51pm

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5010 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 159 of 213
24 November 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
200 words a day? If you can learn over 2500 words in 2 weeks, what's stopping you from become fluent in several new languages every year?

If you could learn every imaginable judo move in a few weeks, you still wouldn't be a judo master. The habits you need to create to speak a language fluently -- or to become a judo master -- take time to form. Whether you learn all the words or all the moves in a short time or over a longer, more natural period of time is, imho, insignificant compared to the time you'll need to form the right habits. This, I think, makes learning words in a hurry a waste of energy.

If I look at my situation, I've been studying Japanese for a little over 2 years. I must have amassed a vocabulary of about 2000 words. I often meet with natives and we can have interesting conversations, so whatever it is I did, it worked ok. If that number is correct, then I've only learned about 3 words a day! I think most people would be happy "speaking" (to whatever degree) a non-European language after 2 years of study, and yet, this implies you'd have only learned 2 or 3 words a day. In my case, I think I learn several words a day, but I learn them imperfectly. I let exposure determine how important words are, and when they are important, they occur often and I learn them. Gradually. Eventually.

And while this acquisition of vocabulary is slowly progressing, I keep learning the grammar, the usage, the habits. You can't become fluent until you have established the proper linguistic habits anyway, and that takes time.

Many people in this thread are claiming to be able to absorb 300+ new words a day.

I'm going to do an experiment over the next few days. 4 hours studying only word lists in 3 languages I currently study. Mandarin, Russian, and Shanghainese. 4 hours each, one language per day.

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6906 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 160 of 213
25 November 2010 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Over the last month and a half, I've added around 800 words to my Mnemosyne deck. I've
been averaging about 15 or 16 words per day, although I typically save them up until I
have nearly a hundred before adding them. It's not nearly as many as some of you (200
per day! WOW!) but it's a good pace for me.

I'm just now starting to notice that vocabulary memorization is becoming slightly
easier for me. I'm reaching the stage in Turkish where I almost never have to resort to
English mnemonics any longer because the majority of my new words are related to ones
I've previously learned. Basic nouns (like words for animals) are the big exception to
this.

I get probably 99% of my new vocab from reading, although occasionally I'll get the
urge to sit down and learn topical words, like "names for things in nature" or "murder
mystery." It helps when I know words like "police" and "weapon" and "corpse" already,
and can reinforce those while learning new things at the same time (maybe
"interrogation," "fingerprint," "prison sentence," etc).

Words are fun.

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version