louisjanus
United States
NorwegianLanguage.inRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5407 days ago

11 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 60
08 July 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I have several French vocabulary books BY topic, for example SPORTS.Have a look at the following AMAZON sample page:
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-French-English-Thesaurus-Mar ie-Noklle-Lamy/dp/0521425816/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid =1247082082&sr=1-27#reader

from The Cambridge French-English Thesaurus (Paperback)

There are several others that I have in my library at home.

Louis Janus
1 person has voted this message useful

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5532 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 50 of 60
09 July 2009 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much Louis :)
I thought of chewing a reputedly good vocabulary book called, Robert and Nathan Vocabulaire .I have the first part of the serie for grammar and found it awesome, I hope this one is that good .
Also, I a not scaning the dictionary right now, but just lifting words that looks important based on my intuition, because I have found out that I am learn better from a context, however I am glad that I tried to learn the hole dictionary. It was a wonderful experience and I'll definatly continue with it untile there is no more words to learn, well, at least in a basic dictionary .
Toufik

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 51 of 60
10 July 2009 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
I use the Bantam New College Dictionary. It's small enough so you can go through the whole book if you're devoted enough, and it's concise enough to give you enough words to be comfortable with knowing the language. It probably won't have all the idioms and slang so you'll have to look elsewhere for those.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 52 of 60
19 July 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone tried learning the words consecutively from a dictionary, like beginning with A and so on? I have given it a shot but it is quite maddening and hard to keep doing.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 60
19 July 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Has anyone tried learning the words consecutively from a dictionary, like beginning with A and so on? I have given it a shot but it is quite maddening and hard to keep doing.

No - I deliberately pluck from different parts of the dictionaries I use.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 54 of 60
19 July 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
William Camden wrote:

No - I deliberately pluck from different parts of the dictionaries I use.

In practice, that is also how I do it. My pocket or smaller-format dictionaries are Highlighter City, although I also use colour pencils. I have felt that trying to memorise a dictionary consecutively is thorough, but actually it is more like a route to madness.

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5711 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 55 of 60
20 July 2009 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:

I'm actually doing this with a smallish German dictionary at the moment. I've just finished the Aa words. I memorised only the most useful words (about 150) in a week or so. I don't do it for more than an hour a day otherwise, as you say, it will drive you up the wall. I'm kind of experimenting to see whether this will maximise my listening comprehension time.

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5532 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 56 of 60
24 July 2009 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
I tried it before and it's rater hard but doable if you're devoted and patient enough .
But I now opt to learning from a context, in the languages I already speak, I pick up words from advanced materials like novels or something similar, but in the languages I am poor at, I choose a good vocabulary book and digest it well enough to build a good foundation .

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version