United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 1 of 177
10 September 2009 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I thought it would be nice to start a thread in which everyone says what books they're reading in the foreign languages they're studying, whether fiction or non-fiction. Actually, I'm sure the term is "restart", as I'm fairly sure someone must have started one before me at some point. Hopefully a few of you will be interested :]

At the moment I'm reading "Der Biß zum Morgengrauen", which is the German translation of the original book in the Twilight series. As I already know the series quite well, it's not proving to be too much of a challenge. In terms of non-fiction, I am about to start reading "Schriften über Träume und Traumdeutungen" by Sigmund Freud. I expect to find it very interesting, and hope that it will help me think of Freud for something other than his famous Oedipus complex theory. Also, I am about fifty pages away from finishing Lermontov's Герой нашего времени - A Hero of Our Time - in Russian. I found that to be more of a challenge than I expected, as my Russian isn't all that great.

I'm looking forward to hearing what others are reading :) - maybe we could use this as a way of directly or indirectly recommending books in other languages for other learners to read.

Jack
6 persons have voted this message useful

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5663 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 2 of 177
10 September 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
I am reading "Introducción A La Lingüística Española" by Milton M. Azevedo. Of course, it is a Spanish book.
1 person has voted this message useful

Houseboatdream
United Kingdom
Joined 5363 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: French

Message 3 of 177
10 September 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum, currently only learning french and at an advanced beginner/ intermediate level.

Have just finished a bi-lingue Sherlock Holmes book which was great.

Now reading Marcel Pagnol Le Chateau de ma mere. (sorry can't do the accents on this laptop). I'm finding this very good to read, only have to look up about 4 words a page at most! There are four books in this Marcel Pagnol series of memories of childhood ( Souvenirs d'enfance)and I have got the other three also to read in the future.

A useful thing with Marcel Pagnol is that there are also two films of these books, La Glorie de mon pere and Le Chateau de ma mere. This are french films but they have English sub titles. Also they are available in UK. I have watched the films obviously and found it very helpful when reading the book to actually know the story.

I will probably move on to Pagnol's Jean de Florette and Manon de Source next as I've got these films as well and the book in English.

Yukamina
Canada
Joined 6052 days ago

281 posts - 332 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, French

Message 4 of 177
10 September 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm reading Harry Potter 1 along with the audio book in Japanese. I've already read books 2 and 3 without an audio book. No good reason why I'm reading them out of order.

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6976 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 5 of 177
10 September 2009 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm presently reading a parallel language book consisting of twelve classic short stories in Russian and English. Right now I'm on my third story, Спать хочется by Chekhov, and next will be В плену by Sologub. The translation is used only to save me from having to look up bothersome words in the dictionary, making my reading more fluid. By minimizing my use of the translation, I hope that by the time I'm done all twelve stories I'll be able to read a modern Russian novel without having to look up too many words. My biggest enemy is a lack of vocabulary, and since gaining a large active vocabulary isn't too much of an immediate concern, this seems like it will work.

pohaku
Diglot
United States
Joined 5439 days ago

192 posts - 367 votes 
Speaks: English*, Persian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 177
10 September 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
German: Morganlandfahrt, Hermann Hesse (early 20th century)

Persian: Vis o Ramin, Gorgani (11th century); Bustan, Sa'adi (13th century)

Arabic: Alf Leyla wa Leyla (1001 Nights)

Edited by pohaku on 10 September 2009 at 8:39pm

elindberg
Triglot
United States
Joined 5342 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 177
10 September 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
Roy Andrew Miller's "A Japanese Reader" in order to become more proficient in Kanji. Short stories by Bunin to get back up to speed in Russian.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6391 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 177
10 September 2009 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm between books in German at the moment, but I have Bastian Sick's Der Dativ ist Dem Genitiv Sein Tod waiting in the wings. I've been doing more listening instead, having downloaded all of Annik Rubens' "Slow German" and "Schlaflos in München" episodes to my new iPod (why didn't I buy one of these sooner?).

In Russian, I've been working on Kató Lomb's "Как я изучаю языки" (How I Learn Languages), which I recommend highly to learners. It's freely available online.

The only Turkish I've been reading has been unsystematic browsing of semi-random websites, blogs, and forums. Lately I've only been spending about fifteen minutes every day or every other day doing this. Nevertheless, it's been profitable and enjoyable.

This summer, until about two weeks ago, I devoted a considerable amount of time in Latin to reading selections from Ovid's Metamorphoses, some letters of Pliny, and a few of Cicero's speeches.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 177 messages over 23 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version