global_gizzy
United States
maxcollege.blogspot.
Joined 5501 days ago

275 posts - 310 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 97 of 231
17 April 2010 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Quiero mirar los photos de la comida esta tu haces!

Tengo mucho hambre cuando miro a su blog!
1 person has voted this message useful

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5539 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 98 of 231
18 April 2010 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Hi Fasulye,

This is (I am told) based on a traditional Native American recipe from the southwestern United States. Indians from that area lived in a hot, arid climate, and I myself have always been interested in how people eat when they live in conditions that are difficult for them to grow food. Were I a real cultural polyglot, living smack in the middle of the geographic United States, I would try to write this in Hopi or Navaho in order to make it authentic. But I will have to make do in English.   I have made this myself and it is good, especially with some rice on the side.

I welcome corrections from those who may know more about southwest American Indian culture than I do....but here it is:

Black Bean and Corn Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb. (.66 kilo) dried black beans
10 oz. (1/2 kilo) frozen or fresh whole kernel corn
1 chopped onion
4 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
4 cups boiling water
1 lb. (1/2 kilo) can undrained chopped tomatoes, or 2 cups fresh chopped
2 cups salsa (I substitute 3 serrano or jalapeno chiles for this)

1. Rinse beans and place in large saucepan. Add water to cover 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
2. In a 4 quart or larger slow cooker, combine beans, corn, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, corinader and hot pepper sauce. Pour boiling water over all. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours, or on high 4 to 5 hours. to serve, mash beans slightly to thicken. Stir in tomatoes. Serve with salsa on the side, adding to taste.

Edited by Hobbema on 18 April 2010 at 4:44am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5645 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 99 of 231
18 April 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your contribution, Hobbema!

I thinks it's a great task to conserve the languages of the different Native American tribes and their cultures. And a part of theses cultures is their food. So you give me a look into this world.

My own restriction is that I don't like eating hot/spicy food. So I would never eat hot pepper sauce, cumin or chilis. I cannot estimate whether it makes sense cooking the meal without these spicy ingredients. The Administrator's general recommendation for cooking is, that one should not make mayor changes to a recipe. It would be quite a massive cut, if I for example leave out the hot pepper sauce.

You have some interesting cooking experiences, Hobbema. I also like to try out some foreign recipes which are so untypical for Germans. For example my experience with "bulgur" I will certainly not forget so easily.

PS: If you present a recipe, it's important to use the metric measurements here, as I am not familiar with lb. and oz. and the other American measurements.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 April 2010 at 3:21pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5645 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 100 of 231
18 April 2010 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
global_gizzy wrote:
Quiero mirar los photos de la comida esta tu haces!

Tengo mucho hambre cuando miro a su blog!

Gizzy, podria fotografiar mis comidas, pero este no ayudaria, porque no estoy capaz de hacer un upload de las photos. Eso es mi limitación. En mis libros de cocina hay photos de las comidas, pero ellas tienen copyright de los autores.

Espero de inspirar mis lectores y lectoras para saciar el hambre cocinando en ulilizando las lenguas extrangeras.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 April 2010 at 3:07pm

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5539 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 101 of 231
19 April 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Thanks for your contribution, Hobbema!

I thinks it's a great task to conserve the languages of the different Native American tribes and their cultures. And a part of theses cultures is their food. So you give me a look into this world.

My own restriction is that I don't like eating hot/spicy food. So I would never eat hot pepper sauce, cumin or chilis. I cannot estimate whether it makes sense cooking the meal without these spicy ingredients. The Administrator's general recommendation for cooking is, that one should not make mayor changes to a recipe. It would be quite a massive cut, if I for example leave out the hot pepper sauce.

You have some interesting cooking experiences, Hobbema. I also like to try out some foreign recipes which are so untypical for Germans. For example my experience with "bulgur" I will certainly not forget so easily.

PS: If you present a recipe, it's important to use the metric measurements here, as I am not familiar with lb. and oz. and the other American measurements.

Fasulye

I agree that leaving out the hot pepper sauce and the things that make it spicy would probably not make for as good a recipe. But my goal was to present you in your log with a recipe that is something different and multi-cultural, so I am happy to have done that.

And I understand about the metric vs. English measurements. In the future I will convert where I can, but I think even so you still use cups, teaspoons, and tablesppons? In any case there are many interesting recipes here to choose from.

Eet smakelijk!

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5645 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 102 of 231
19 April 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, sure I am fine with teaspoons, tablespoons and cups as measurements. You have been to Europe, Hobbema, and you may have noticed that these kitchen objects have the same size in Europe as in the United States. A cup of milk is a cup of milk and a teaspoon of vegetable stock is a teaspoon of vegetable stock.

Maybe there are other readers of my log who like to cook your spicy Native American meal? I have fun with reading your recipes here, Hobbema, even if I don't cook some of them.

Fasulye

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5645 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 103 of 231
13 May 2010 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Oh, dov'è il mio log della culinaria? - Ah, qui!

Dunque vorrei presentare lo che ho cucinato oggi:

Ho cucinato (un'altra volta) FUSILLI ALLE VERDURE

Ingredienti:

- 400 g di fusili (= pasta)
- un peperone giallo ed un peperone rosso
- 2 zucchine
- una scatola di piselli
- 1 spiccio di aglio
- olio extravergine di oliva
- sale e pepe
- parmeggiano gratteggiato fresco

Questo è facile da cucinare e si fa rapidamente. L'ho mangiato con molto gusto!

Ho fatto una piccola variazione della mia ricetta nella revista della cucina nell'italiano.

Buon appetito e alla prossima volta!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 13 May 2010 at 1:46pm

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6119 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 104 of 231
02 June 2010 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
This is a quite easy receipt from a Danish cooking podcast. I've cooked it last week and it tasted so fine. Perhaps you also might try it out and/or learn some new Danish words. I learned the words "ingefær" (Ingwer), "møre" (gar kochen) and "løfter sløret" (den Schleier lüften).

Koplev (that's the name of the cook) løfter i denne uge sløret for en velsmagende gulerodssuppe med ingefær:

Gulerodssuppe

500 g skrællede gulerødder
15-20 g finthakket ingefær
1 grofthakket løg
½ grøntsagsbouillon
salt, peber
friske mynteblade

4 personer

De skrællede gulerødder koges i grøntsagsbouillonen sammen med løget og ingefæren til alle delene er godt møre. Derefter blendes det hele godt og grundigt, smages til med salt og peber - og serveres med et par friske mynteblade på toppen.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version