Diglot
United States
Joined 5792 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 9 of 41
11 November 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
I can't imagine anything on the face of this earth touching Wenzhou-hua, a Southern Wu
dialect that sounds /absolutely nothing/ like Shanghainese. The first time I heard it was
in a movie called 太阳照常升起 TaiYang ZhaoChange ShengQi. It was -- the most alien and mind
blowing thing I had ever heard -- the short 10 second ancient poem sung by the main
character so moved me I immediately rewound the DVD and played the segment 10 more times
before continuing to watch the movie. If human beings are capable of making such amazing
sounds, why should they wish to speak any other language?

It's blocked here in Japan, but for anyone in China or other not-blocked countries that
wants to hear it: 《太阳照常升起》疯妈用
温州话念黄鹤楼
, (another URL).

Edited by parasitius on 11 November 2009 at 2:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5315 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 10 of 41
11 November 2009 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
I also love certain Chinese languages and dialects, but I would have to vote for the dialect of Swedish that is spoken by Finland-Swedes. In second place, the accent of Church Slavonic used by Poles! Much better than the Russian version, probably because Russians pronounce CS almost as if it were Russian. I haven't heard any Poles use pronounce the nasal sounds of OCS, but that would be the ultimate thing.

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5792 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 11 of 41
11 November 2009 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
By the way (hopefully everyone who posted so far will see this!) if you mention anything
exotic and have a link for us to actually get to hear it -- please provide one! I think
we all should have no problem finding out what Russian or Tagalog sound like by searching
for a radio station online or something, but I wouldn't know where to find a good sample
of "Swedish spoken by Finland-Swedes", although I am deadly curious to hear it.

Edited by parasitius on 11 November 2009 at 2:53pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5289 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 12 of 41
11 November 2009 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
parasitius wrote:
By the way (hopefully everyone who posted so far will see this!) if you mention anything
exotic and have a link for us to actually get to hear it -- please provide one! I think
we all should have no problem finding out what Russian or Tagalog sound like by searching
for a radio station online or something, but I wouldn't know where to find a good sample

Hi Parasitius,

You can watch Finlands swedish TV programs here.
http://arenan.yle.fi/lista//uusimmat/kieli/sv/navi/tv

Edited by Marikki on 11 November 2009 at 7:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Elwing
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5302 days ago

43 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Finnish*, English, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 13 of 41
11 November 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
My favourite English dialects are probably the Scottish one (because it's so incomprehensible :P) and Geordie (don't know why it sounds so appealing to me). I also love the accent Swedish people have when they speak English.
In relation to the Swedish dialects, I particularly love that spoken in Gothenburg and I also quite like the dialects of Northern Sweden.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 41
11 November 2009 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Here is a sample, both written and spoken, of the Gullah dialect, or creole, of coastal South Carolina, USA:

http://www.gullah.sc/content,gullah-language-lesson/

(sorry, but I had no success making a link for this!)

I come from a Southern family on my mother's side, so I have spent a lot of time in South Carolina. There really is a significant cultural difference between the Northern and Southern regions of the country, although it's disappearing as more people relocate into different areas.

I have heard Gullah described as a full creole, but many of the examples given here are still identifiable as some form of English. The man on the audio file does not have a typical South Carolina accent. I must have heard some of this before, because it is very vaguely familiar, but that's probably because some of these expressions have become part of regional speech in the area.

This is a really interesting subject I might have to learn more about. When I looked at the Gullah recipes on this site, most of them are familiar! How about "Frogmore Stew"?! I have never had the courage to try it, even though I know that there are no frogs in it!

Edited by meramarina on 12 November 2009 at 3:19am

Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5615 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 15 of 41
11 November 2009 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
In English, I'd say New Zealand(ish?). Kiwis talk the best :)

New Zealand News Report

With German, I enjoy the Austrian accent for some reason.

Austrian News Report

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5315 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 16 of 41
11 November 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
parasitius wrote:

I don't know if Finland-Swedish sounds beautiful to someone who doesn't speak Swedish, it might be that you have to know the rather boring standard dialect to appreciate it!

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version