1 person has voted this message useful

maaku
United States
Joined 5368 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 26 of 41
23 November 2009 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
New York or Jersey accent. Man I love it! That should be official American English, taught in schools.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6028 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 27 of 41
23 November 2009 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
maaku wrote:
New York or Jersey accent. Man I love it! That should be official American English, taught in schools.

Is there a wide gap between both NY and Texas or the middle west of the country accents?

mick33
United States
Joined 5718 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 28 of 41
23 November 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Alvinho wrote:
maaku wrote:

Is there a wide gap between both NY and Texas or the middle west of the country accents?
Yes, there can be a wide gap but it depends on the individual whom you are actually talking to and how long they have lived in Texas or NY.

In response to the original question, my favorite dialects are:

English: I don't actually have one favorite dialect or accent, but I like some US Southern dialects, Estuary English and Jamaican English.

Afrikaans: Western Cape dialect, in particular the variety that is spoken in the Cape Flats.

Spanish: Mexican Spanish.

Finnish: I do not understand Savo dialect well, but it sounds hypnotic to me, so I like it more than other Finnish dialects I have heard.

Swedish: Stockholm and Skånske dialects right now; though I my preferences may change as I continue to learn Swedish.

Edited by mick33 on 10 May 2010 at 11:39pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 41
23 November 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
I can of course understand the Danish dialects plus the moderate forms of Quebec French, Scots and a number of other dialects (at least if spoken by people who still have teeth and who don't deliberately try to confuse me). I have however only bought complete books and dictionaries for one 'dialect': Low German (aka Plattdüütsch)*, so I suppose that is my preferred dialect.

*which based on historical linguistic principles should be seen as a language in its own right

EDIT: Since writing this I have added Scots to the dialects or languages which I take seriously.

Edited by Iversen on 04 December 2011 at 9:19pm

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5197 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 30 of 41
29 November 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
English: I like most British dialects and accents, don't exactly know how they are called
or where they are spoken in Britain, except Scottish and Irish, although there are more
of them as well I suppose. I also like Southern USA accents, especially Carolina and
Georgia ones.

Slovak: I like my own dialect, which is a mixture of Central Slovak dialects and a bit of
Serbian.

Serbian: I like the Vojvodinian or Lala (tulip) dialect as it is called.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4566 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 31 of 41
29 November 2011 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Russian: Odessa dialect, hands down - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBAYwWRwaPQ&feature=related This dialect was heavily influenced by Yiddish and Ukrainian, with some input from other languages spoken in this formerly cosmopolitan city (Greek, Bulgarian, Armenian, Romanian, French and others). In the former USSR it is mostly associated with humour, since Odessa is the hometown of many famous comedians. I think it's the perfect dialect for being snarky and sarcastic. But apart from that, I really like hearing all authentic regional dialects of Russian, since they are so hard to come by these days.

English: RP (the more stuck-up and old-fashioned, the better), Scouse, Scottish, Dixie and Kiwi.

German: The southern dialects, especially Swabian and Viennese - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me2GNLi3Kq0

Japanese: Kyoto - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrz3wnXn0T4 , and Kansai in general.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 29 November 2011 at 11:57pm

rivere123
United States
Joined 4624 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: French

Message 32 of 41
30 November 2011 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
In English, I am a fan of New York and British (classics!), although I like all dialects a lot.

In French, Canadian is easier to understand, but I have a liking of Parisian, probably having to do with the thought that it is "the" dialect. I would really like to learn Southern French, because that seems like an interesting place. I cannot understand Creole.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version