GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6741 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 25 of 232
04 December 2009 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I`d be in.

My goals: Japanese (JLPT 1 level), Korean (intermediate), French (advanced)

I`m already at an intermediate level in Japanese and I had French for a few years in schools, which would make Korean the only new language that I`m approaching.

Native German speaker btw.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6247 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 232
04 December 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Just an update on my status.

Yes, I am a Korean native, and yes I am learning German. But in 2010, I also want to start learning Spanish from 5th January 2010. I'm not sure whether I'll stick to it, but I want to cover at least the basics of Spanish next year.

So I would be learning both German and Spanish in 2010.

I also don't want to call my log a TAC log. I just have this thing against the word TAC.

About the number of people, I think maybe 3 people per team would be the best number. Having two is too little, but more than three will be quite difficult to manage. One of the reasons why we are doing a TAC is to keep us motivated. And frankly, it's really difficult to follow more than 3 or 4 language logs closely and give some useful feedback. It will be even harder if we implement random grouping and your team members are learning languages that you are not currently interested in.

Lastly, if being in a team TAC means that I would have to keep track of number of hours I study or the number of pages I read, I want to keep myself out of it. I simply cannot document everything I do language related. I also don't want to have to modify the way I log my language progress.

Shadow1984
Groupie
United States
Joined 5300 days ago

53 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 27 of 232
04 December 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys here are the languages that I am currently learning

GERMAN - Beginner
SPANISH - Beginner
ITALIAN - Beginner
I will also start to study JAPANESEon January first - Have not started.
Thanks!

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 28 of 232
05 December 2009 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Anya wrote:
One of possible secondary goals: by the end of 2010 each team write some posts in target
languages.

Good idea Anya. Perhaps every 2-3 months or so native speakers of a particular language or people who have
studied the language thoroughly could ask people who are doing the TAC challenge questions in their target
languages. Sort of like a fun little test to see where people are at. (now they are some words you don't normally
associate together..) Good way to get some more people involved also.

Jiwon wrote:

I also don't want to call my log a TAC log. I just have this thing against the word TAC.

Lastly, if being in a team TAC means that I would have to keep track of number of hours I study or the number
of pages I read, I want to keep myself out of it. I simply cannot document everything I do language related. I also
don't want to have to modify the way I log my language progress.

In regards to this, i also just want to state that if i were in a Team, then i could only guarantee 1 entry a month
in my Teams TAC thread. And this will simply be a condensed and summarised version of what i intend to put in
my individual language learning (tac) thread. Would everyone who is doing the Team challenge be ok with that?
I'm assuming a few people would be doing this also.

And to clarify what languages i'll be studying:
Dutch. At the moment i'm upper beginner i guess, wanting hopefully to be at upper intermediate or lower
advanced by the end of next year.

Spanish. Basically at the very beginner stages and would like to be at intermediate by the end of next year.

Edited by Vos on 05 December 2009 at 12:27am

NichtGut
Groupie
United States
the-daily-treasure.bRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6143 days ago

65 posts - 74 votes 
Studies: French

Message 29 of 232
05 December 2009 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Like Jiwon said we should keep things flexible, not logging every hour and every page. If someone wants to do that then its fine, but not mandatory. Also we should keep in mind that this can be a very rewarding and fun experience that each member has with their group. If you are studying Dutch and in your group you have a native Dutch speaker that could really boost interests, confidence, and motivation. Or two French beginners keeping each other motivated.

I suppose we should collectively attempt to get native speakers of various languages who cruise the message boards in on this. We could send some type of private message invitation of some sort :) Maybe some people are not aware of this whole TAC project?!

Everyone has shared some great ideas and it looks like we are moving in the right direction.

Edited by NichtGut on 05 December 2009 at 1:51am

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6247 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 232
05 December 2009 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
Looking at the team arrangements that Buttons has drawn up, I see there are MANY Spanish learners on this forum. XD

It's a pity I'm not in the same group as most Korean learners, but I follow their logs anyway. So it might be a good idea to get to know people learning different languages. :)

Eumaeus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5415 days ago

75 posts - 134 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 31 of 232
05 December 2009 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
Put me down as first emergency if you need an extra to fill in, in the event that you have uneven numbers.

I'm at a beginner level in Italian, starting french on 01 01 2010 and looking to add mandarin and\or indonesian.

Edited by Eumaeus on 05 December 2009 at 8:16am

Shadow1984
Groupie
United States
Joined 5300 days ago

53 posts - 57 votes 
Studies: German

Message 32 of 232
05 December 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
I don't see what the problem would be to adding people in till the end of the year and its supposed to be for 2010.   We have just started the process of making the team challenge for only a few days. You could probably private message Buttons and Buttons can add you on to a team.

Edited by Shadow1984 on 05 December 2009 at 10:39am

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version