Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
232 messages over 29 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 28 29 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 33 of 232
05 December 2009 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Only just noticed the team list.

You got the wrong languages for me. For the TAC, I'm doing Chinese (Mandarin), French, Italian, Swahili, Greek and Arabic, in decreasing order of importance. My detailed list of state and goals with each language can be found at http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=18107&PN=1.

I will not study Spanish, Dutch or Maori unless the language bug bites me and I can't avoid it. This means I also don't share the team's common language. If Levi is in, we can form a Mandarin group.
1 person has voted this message useful

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6168 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 35 of 232
05 December 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Well count me in! This year shall be insane.

Native language: Swedish

High priority goal:
Taking my intermediate russian to a level of basic fluency or beyond.

Low priority goals:
Activate my intermediate french knowledge and raise its standard.
Getting to intermediate level in either japanese or German.

Edited by M. Medialis on 05 December 2009 at 1:59pm

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 36 of 232
05 December 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
What do you guys think about making the teams larger? For instance, I am in a team of two and I feel that having a
team of four members or at minimum, three would be more beneficial.   It is also not as important for me to be in a
team with members who are studying the same language, although I will also follow the other Hebrew log.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 37 of 232
05 December 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
What do you guys think about making the teams larger? For instance, I am in a team of two and I feel that having a
team of four members or at minimum, three would be more beneficial.   It is also not as important for me to be in a
team with members who are studying the same language, although I will also follow the other Hebrew log.

I believe 3 should be the very minimum team size if the goal for teams is to help their members stay in the TAC. With two people, one person drops out and the other is left without support.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6247 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 232
05 December 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:

I believe the only reason why your team has 2 people is because there aren't many people studying Hebrew, and Buttons tried to give some kind of connection among the team members according to their target languges.. :(

I only suggested 3, because I feel that's the number of language logs you can comfortably follow and make constructive contributions. More than that, and you tend to lose track of things, or you spend too much time on reading the logs instead of learning your languges.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Jiwon on 05 December 2009 at 6:48pm

-Kupo-
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5878 days ago

84 posts - 84 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Russian

Message 39 of 232
05 December 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
I think 3 should be the number also. I feel the same as Jiwon, if the groups are too big we could lose track of things and not be able to follow everyone elses blogs intently.

Obviously a group with 2 people is a serious problem.

anni_online
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5422 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 40 of 232
05 December 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, this all sounds like a great idea, so I would really join, too, although I'm not yet sure what is going to be expected of me!?

My target languages are Norwegian (want to achieve advanced fluency), Finnish and Spanish (basic fluency).

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version