United States
Joined 5493 days ago

169 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 71
12 December 2009 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
I like the Catalan and Greek TY sets as cheap introductions. I hope that making them more "user-friendly" doesn't mean even less of the target language on the recordings--it's unpleasant to work on a dialog in Greek and then have the announcer break in and say, in Estuary, "Did you understand the foreign person? Now I will tell you what the foreign person said."

1 person has voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6496 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 10 of 71
13 December 2009 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
Just in case you didn't know, the entire Teach Yourself series is is due for a relaunch in the first half of 2010. This includes all the language titles, obviously. So if you are thinking of learning with TY, then I recommend that you wait for the new editions, as long as you're not in a hurry. More material has been added, and they have been made even more user-friendly, with the addition of self-check tests and extra notes and insights. If you have any questions, as one of their language authors, I can probably answer them.

Chris

Could you go into any detail by what you mean by "more user-friendly"? What will be different about these new editions? Will there be more audio material, or is it just an expansion of the text? And most importantly, will anything be taken out?

And out of curiosity, what titles have you worked on? I wonder if I've used one.

Thanks!

delta910 wrote:
I wish they would fix the audio. There is way too much English on them. Actually, it would be nice if there wasn't any English on them. I would just want the dialogues recorded on them.

That's what Audacity is for.

Edited by Raincrowlee on 13 December 2009 at 1:06am

2 persons have voted this message useful

maritimeguy
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5435 days ago

18 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: French, English*, German

Message 11 of 71
14 December 2009 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Actually all the new editions of the beginner and the standard teach yourself are already out in canada both with the cd's and without.The only that that was changed were the cover pictures.Their is a nwe series called complete french, Spanish ,german ect.I think it is just a packaged version of the beginner series and "improve" books.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6940 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 12 of 71
14 December 2009 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
I have both Teach Yourself Indonesian and Teach Yourself Malay, both of which were written (joint written) by Chris. I have a feeling he has written some others.

pookiebear79
Groupie
United States
Joined 5824 days ago

76 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Swedish, Italian

Message 13 of 71
14 December 2009 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
I did notice on Amazon that a new title has just been released in the "TY Beginner's..." series (Polish,) and at least one additional, new language/course is being released later this month. (Yiddish.) Unfortunately, the price (at least on the US amazon) is between two and three times higher than the average price of a TY book/audio set.

While I appreciate that resources in the language are so scarce that maybe they feel it's ok to charge double or triple price for the course, that is far too much for me since at this point my interest is basically a 'flirtation'/curiosity on the side for when I want to step out on my other languages. ;)

Come to think of it, even if I were to fall in love with the language and decide to study it "properly"/seriously, 66 dollars (the 'pre order' cost last time I checked) is way more than I would spend on ANY Teach Yourself title, ever.

In fact, the main draw of TY, for me, is availability and affordability, since I am usually able to find used courses on Ebay quite inexpensively. But otherwise, the quality of the series is rather hit and miss, and I can't see shelling out such an obscene price for a course that may not even be very good for one of my 'hit list' languages that I may not even decide to pursue beyond basic familiarization.

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5934 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 14 of 71
14 December 2009 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
I have both Teach Yourself Indonesian and Teach Yourself Malay, both of
which were written (joint written) by Chris. I have a feeling he has written some
others.

@Fanatic or Chris
What's the difference between the two "Bahasa" courses? Is the Malay one just a
translation of the Indonesian one or do they contain radically different material? I
quite like TY Malay and I've been debating whether to get the Indonesian version.
Thanks,
Fat-tony

Edited by Fat-tony on 14 December 2009 at 7:52pm

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6058 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 15 of 71
14 December 2009 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Can any explain the difference between the older black cover editions and the more recent white cover editions? Are the exactly the same content just reprinted? or is there different content?

Thanks,

Jon

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6940 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 16 of 71
15 December 2009 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Fat-tony wrote:
fanatic wrote:
I have both Teach Yourself Indonesian and Teach Yourself Malay, both of
which were written (joint written) by Chris. I have a feeling he has written some
others.

@Fanatic or Chris
What's the difference between the two "Bahasa" courses? Is the Malay one just a
translation of the Indonesian one or do they contain radically different material? I
quite like TY Malay and I've been debating whether to get the Indonesian version.
Thanks,
Fat-tony

One is not a translation of the other but the two courses are very similar with similar chapter topics. Because the two languages are so similar it is inevitable that there will be similarities.

I am not sorry I have them both.

The same goes for Colloquial Indonesian and Malay. They are practically the same book--even closer than Teach Yourself.

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version