United States
Joined 5379 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 41 of 71
06 April 2010 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
Yes! The older TY books are AMAZING. I recently bought a few just to make sure I have them. Plus they're usually difficult to find at a decent price. I got Malay, Irish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Modern Greek, Romanian, and Turkish, each for only about $5-6 shipped. I've only glanced over them because I'm not studying any of these languages right now (except for Indonesian which is close to Malay), and they seem to be miles ahead of their modern counterparts.

I checked out some of the TY books at a B&N a few days ago. The Czech one did look pretty good. And I've read that their Modern Persian course is good. I might look into it soon.

Did you get the older ones off of Amazon?
1 person has voted this message useful

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6162 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 71
06 April 2010 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Nope. Ebay. But Amazon has a lot too, and it's easier to search there. You can restrict the searches by publication date on Amazon but not on eBay. The books can be found for $0.01-2 plus $3.99 shipping.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5523 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 43 of 71
06 April 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
I bought some of the old ones yesterday on amazon. The cheapest was an old version of German for 99 cents. I think the most expensive one was an $5-8 Spanish edition, and I also bought a Portuguese edition that I think was $4. I should have bought the Russian instead of the German, but oh well.

The only thing to remember with the older editions is they might have outdated words, as some of the reviewers said. That is kind of a tradeoff for the method. I'm also borrowing the modern (early 2000s editon) versions for comparison. I've never studied German or Portuguese, so I guess I'll see for myself how the older editions compare to the new ones.

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6162 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 71
07 April 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
vudan, can you post the links with a space somewhere in the URL so we can see them?

Kounotori
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5138 days ago

136 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 45 of 71
09 April 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
I wish they'd publish one of those vocabulary books for Russian. That would be awesome~

The Blaz
Canada
theblazblog.blogspotRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5394 days ago

120 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Swahili, French, Sign Language, Esperanto

Message 46 of 71
10 April 2010 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
TY Swahili was the first Swahili resource I bought (found it in the Kisumu Nakumatt...
shout outz!), and in fact I could probably say it is the first autodidactic language
resource I've ever bought. I was quite pleased with it, and have recommended it to
others. I see the new edition is by the same author (Joan Russell), so I will certainly
continue to.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5626 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 47 of 71
11 April 2010 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I had a look at the new edition of TY Arabic recently. In fact apart from the cover it is exactly the same as the previous edition. I suspect this will be the case for many of the lesser leant languages.

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5238 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Studies: French

Message 48 of 71
11 April 2010 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
I have used many Teach Yourself books from Cantonese to French, but I didn't stay on these too long as I have to
focus on my German and Irish also. I enjoyed them, but living in small town Ireland haven't encountered Cantonese
guides other than from Teach Yourself. The only new edition (2010) Teach Yourself guide I've gotten so far was on
Freud.

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version