SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4311 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 73 of 75
13 September 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I absolutely love reading. It's my major passtime. However, I'm an enthusiast of languages since just two years ago or even less, so I haven't had too much time to spend eagerly reading in foreign languages. Mind you, apart from eating up books writing in Spanish from time to time, I keep an English book on my nightstand I often read everyday. I seldom read in other languages, but sometimes I read in Galician, mainly poetry.

I look forward to being capable of reading in German as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5138 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 74 of 75
23 October 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
I've been reading in Japanese a lot lately. My reading speed has really improved and the
number of 'unknown' words has lessened. I really enjoy reading in English so being able
to do so in Japanese too is just awesome.

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4232 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 75 of 75
01 November 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
The university libraries are grand for multilingual resources.

I read a lot of contemporary English poetry because Canada's literary culture definitely demands more
attention, but I also read novels, poetry, essays, biographies, journals in French (Michel Garneau and le
marquis de Sade are favourites), in Spanish, too (in the middle of María Esther Vázquez's interviews with
Borges), Portuguese contos and poetry, though I study Brazilian for speaking, Italian novels essays
poetry (Cesare Pavese is depressing at times, but his Dialoghi con Leucò is really brilliant, and the book
he had on his person when his body was discovered), German novellas, poetry, essays, biographies, and
with Malay I am starting to get into poetry with ipuisi.com, but I am focussing more on my accent first.
The library here also has no contemporary Malay literature. I have however some Muslim orthodox lyric
poetry in an anthropological book I purchased that is about Malaysia and it was published before the
technological revolution.

I write my diary mostly in French but more recently in German, and I have written it in Spanish before
(and sometimes in Spanish using the Russian alphabet, this has a name but I can no longer remember
what it is or how to uncover the word, but I had a trilingual teacher who insisted on reading our journals
and I didn't want him to read my valuable ideas and thoughts so I hid them in the Cyrillic script before
dropping his course completely).

And my Italian is far from perfect, although I was able to learn in a way similar to Borges, by reading the
Divine Comedy. However, I read aloud, which allowed me to master Italian syllabic emphasis, from the
perfect prosody of Dante's uniting language. This is why I comfortably study Linguistics although I have
a strong passion for literature, that is, the same interest as Roman Jakobson, the tie between linguistics
and literature and the world's other fields of interest. Now whenever I happen upon a word I've never
seen before, I can sound it out and identify a cognate by ear allowing me to skip the dictionary more
frequently, although both Italian and Portuguese literature are rich with vocabulary specific to their
contemporary lexicons, despite the Latin roots of some of these very original Romance words.

Edited by mahasiswa on 01 November 2012 at 2:25am

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version