Netherlands
Joined 5196 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Italian, Russian

Message 25 of 75
20 February 2010 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Snesgamer wrote:
I'm currently trying to tackle one of the pinnacles of German literature - Goethe's Faust.

I know a good 93-95% of the words required, but that's not good enough for me, as I don't want to have to rely on a dictionary or translation at all to help me. I'm thinking of skimming through the book really quick and looking up all the unknown words in order to prepare me for the reading.

It appears that even native speakers have a hard time comprehending Goethe's vocabulary, given the existence of the following work:

Goethes merkwürdige Wörter
Ein Lexikon von Martin Müller           
Dieses Lexikon ›übersetzt‹ und erklärt dem Goethe-Liebhaber mit Hilfe von Originalzitaten mehr als 1000 Wörter aus Goethes Wortschatz bis hin zu besonders eigentümlichen und unerwarteten Prägungen. Ein unentbehrliches Nachschlagewerk für alle, die Goethes klassische Texte richtig verstehen möchten oder einfach nur Lust auf einen Spaziergang durch ein vielschichtiges und zuweilen kurioses ›Wörter-Museum‹ des 18. Jh. haben.

For the real enthusiast.

As for me, when reading a book in a foreign language, I have the following strategy when encountering unknown words:
1: Try to guess whether the word is essential for understanding the message.
2: Check if the word is going to be used more often in the next paragraph.
3: Try to guess the meaning from multiple occurrences of the word, its occurence in comparisons, examples, etymology.
4: Recall whether this word has occurred more often in the past but was skipped then.
5: Recall whether I used to know the word, but somehow forgot its meaning.

So this comes down to a kind of triage that limits the number of words actually looked up in the dictionary, at the expense of amount of words learned, but with the benefit of maintaining reading speed and pleasure.

Of course, this doesn't work for every book. In non-fiction books on familiar subjects I may end up with about twenty unfamiliar words per page, of which maybe five are eventually looked up.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Aleksey Groz
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5170 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian*, English, Czech, FrenchB2

Message 26 of 75
17 March 2010 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
I have to say that (unfortunately) I haven't been reading any serious literature for a
wail. But, on the other hand, I read in foreign languages a lot on daily basis. Being a
political commentator for Balkans, I read newspapers in all South Slavic languages
(except Bulgarian, thought) everyday. Beside that, I always have some small texts in
French, Czech and English to read. All in all, I daily read in 6 languages.      

Edited by Aleksey Groz on 17 March 2010 at 2:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5567 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 27 of 75
17 March 2010 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
No. Wait, maybe. Which one is 'foreign'?
5 persons have voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5307 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 28 of 75
17 March 2010 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Reading in foreign languages is quite possibly my favorite method of study, but I
really haven't done much of it this year outside of a few short stories. (So reading
this topic was a great reminder to me that I should start again soon!) When I do read
in foreign languages, I generally use a process similar to the one described by Pim at
the head of this page, and I find that it works quite well.

I choose to read foreign language books for two main reasons. One, a lot of the
literature I want to read simply hasn't been translated or translated well into English
yet. Two, no translation is a perfect rendering. To translate inevitably is to
interpret, analyze, rewrite. Now, I'm not some sort of a silly strawman literature
purist - "You have to read Proust in French or it doesn't count!!" - but we have to
acknowledge that a novel and its translation are on some level two different works, and
you may indeed glean one thing from Season of Migration to the North and another from
Mawsim al-Hijra ila ash-Shamal. I'm not going to go out and read every book in its
original language, but there are some books that I'd like to approach the way their
authors intended. As an obvious example, I'm glad that I read Ulysses in English.

(Full disclosure: I tried it in Chinese earlier this year just for craps and giggles,
and I haven't picked up another substantive foreign language text since. Connected?
Coincidence? I don't know...)

Edited by annette on 17 March 2010 at 7:55am

starst
Triglot
China
Joined 5315 days ago

113 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchC1, German, Norwegian

Message 29 of 75
17 March 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Do technical papers count? They are almost all what I read recently...

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 75
17 March 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Technical (and scientific) papers certainly count. Otherwise I would also be in trouble.

I mainly read stuff on the internet, science or travel magazines and non fiction books. However right now I am actually reading a literary text, Satyricon, but only because there s little else preserved from the Antiquity in something faintly ressembling actual spoken Latin. But I find all my prejudices against literature confirmed by this book.

Edited by Iversen on 17 March 2010 at 1:42pm

Tiberius
Diglot
Groupie
Moldova
lawinmoldova.blogspoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6089 days ago

70 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: Romanian, Russian*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 31 of 75
17 March 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
But I find all my prejudices against literature confirmed by this book.

Hmm, That's interesting. Could you please expand on your prejudices about literature?

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version