Taiwan
tesolzone.com/
Joined 5272 days ago

44 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 41 of 75
12 August 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I love reading in English - my language - but I write a lot, and if I read too much in English, I find myself
unconsciously copying the style of the writer I'm reading. This just doesn't happen if I read in another language.

So, yes, I read what I can in other languages. It's also fun, of course.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fireflies
Joined 4981 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 42 of 75
13 October 2010 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
There are a lot of books in Spanish where I live (not nearly as many as there are in English but it's still a very prevalent language) so I find myself reading in it. It's certainly an extra motivation to learn/use a language when materials in it are easy to find.

I haven't read a book in English in awhile although I have one on hand now I plan to read because it seemed really entertaining.

Edited by fireflies on 13 October 2010 at 3:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

starst
Triglot
China
Joined 5314 days ago

113 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchC1, German, Norwegian

Message 43 of 75
13 October 2010 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
annette wrote:
I'm not some sort of a silly strawman literature
purist - "You have to read Proust in French or it doesn't count!!"

It really doesn't count.

I won't say it doesn't count, but I'll say that it's different.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5356 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 44 of 75
13 October 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Not enough really - I currently only read in English and German before going to sleep. I'd like to manage my time better and read much more foreign literature in the original.

I hope to extend this soon to Spanish and Swedish, if everything goes well with studies, and it would be the icing on the cake to have Russian by the end of the year too. It would be cool to have books in 5 different languages piled up on the bedside table at a time. :)

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5019 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 45 of 75
13 October 2010 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
I re-read some french novels recently - Madame Bovary etc. I need to read more current literature to up my grasp of idiom.

I do my preliminary background research on any new topic in either French or Spanish and then do a cursory mop up in English. Unfortunately a lot of technical material is published in English.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6503 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 75
13 October 2010 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Tiberius wrote:
Iversen wrote:
But I find all my prejudices against literature confirmed by this book.

Hmm, That's interesting. Could you please expand on your prejudices about literature?

Reality is bad enough as it is, and I don't see the point in adding even more disgusting criminals, fanatics, people who cannot get their personal lives in order, natural and manmade catastrophes and dripping sentimental fools.

Unfortunately my local library has few non fiction books in other languages than Danish, English and (to some extent) the other Nordic languages.

OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5235 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 47 of 75
13 October 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Reality is bad enough as it is, and I don't see the point in adding even more disgusting criminals, fanatics, people who cannot get their personal lives in order, natural and manmade catastrophes and dripping sentimental fools.

That is as if you would say you don't listen to music because there is already enough noise on this planet. I would agree if you said that the majority of what is called "literature" is not worth reading, but how does your statement about criminals, fanatics, catastrophies, and fools apply to, for instance, these books:

Ernest Hemingway: "The Old Man and the Sea"
Stanisław Lem: "Solaris"
Ivan Turgenev: "Fathers and Sons"

fireflies
Joined 4981 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 48 of 75
13 October 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I was puzzled by that opinion towards fiction too. I agree that the world has a lot of grim stuff going on in it but not all fiction is bleak. In fact it is often escapism because the writers are free to create their own worlds or write improbable happy endings.

The first book that came to mind for me was 'The Hobbit'. Yes there was a conflict but it was nothing that anyone has to deal with in the real world.

Edited by fireflies on 13 October 2010 at 8:11pm

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version