Groupie
Australia
Joined 5041 days ago

83 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Modern Hebrew

Message 33 of 49
24 October 2010 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Thank you for this book. The link works!
1 person has voted this message useful

cmj
Octoglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5126 days ago

58 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Arabic (classical), Latin, Italian

Message 34 of 49
24 October 2010 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Many thanks : )

daristani
United States
Joined 6932 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 35 of 49
24 October 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Many thanks for making this available, parb33. Given the initial praise given the book, and the near-impossibility of finding either copies available or information about the author to seek copies or permission to duplicate it, this had come, whether deservedly or not, to take on the aura of a sort of Holy Grail for students of Arabic.

So by making it available, you can rest assured that you've attained hero status among many on the board. Shukran!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5481 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 36 of 49
24 October 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much, I am downloading it right now! I really appreciate you making this resource available.

EDIT: Hmm, I downloaded it and the finished file was 43.5 MB, which sounds about right, but for some reason I wasn't able to open it using my (normally very capable) PDF reader application. This may just be the fault of my own computer, though... has anyone else been able to open and read the file yet?

EDIT AGAIN: I've tried downloading it in several different ways now, and every time I get some sort of "size agreement" problem with the file – is anyone else having this issue, or am I the only one?

Edited by Jinx on 25 October 2010 at 3:52am

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6438 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 37 of 49
24 October 2010 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious to see what others think about it. Looking back, it seems like it spends so
much time belaboring what now seem to be simple concepts, but I know that it was really a
lifesaver when those concepts weren't so clear.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 38 of 49
25 October 2010 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
EDIT: Hmm, I downloaded it and the finished file was 43.5 MB, which sounds about right, but for some reason I wasn't able to open it using my (normally very capable) PDF reader application. This may just be the fault of my own computer, though... has anyone else been able to open and read the file yet?

EDIT AGAIN: I've tried downloading it in several different ways now, and every time I get some sort of "size agreement" problem with the file – is anyone else having this issue, or am I the only one?

It opens fine here with both Acrobat 6 Pro and Foxit Reader 3.2. If it helps, the final file size that Windows Explorer reports is 44,368,893 bytes (44,371,968 "size on disk").

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5108 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 39 of 49
25 October 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:

The only unusual thing about this PDF file is that it shows up as two files in a virus scanner, because it has a (harmless) NTFS Additional Data Stream (ADS) file attached to it. This might cause problems with some download managers or operating systems other than Windows. If you have a Mac or Linux system, ask a friend with a Windows PC to download it for you.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6391 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 49
25 October 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to a fellow forum member, this book is now available at uztranslations.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version