95 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 Next >>
annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 81 of 95
09 August 2010 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Oh, and one more thing - I started listening to the Deutsche Welle podcast on Friday!!!
Yes, guys, for ONCE I am living up to my third lonely tag! Have any of you guys heard
this thing? Maybe I'm just sleep-deprived, but the first two episodes are COMEDY. I
cracked up so hard when they put the clip of the German baby crying, and then the
presenter was like, "This is a baby crying," or whatever. I'm so glad I now know what a
German baby sounds like as opposed to an American baby. That's totally gonna help with
my language acquisition right there.

Anyway, the first two episodes didn't teach much at all, but apparently the third
episode is where the lessons (what little substance they might have) begin in earnest.
I listened to the third episode in Arabic, so I understood very little indeed and can't
say I learned anything there. I will listen again in a language I actually comprehend
soon.

I listened to the first two episodes in Chinese and I have to say that I learned much
more Chinese than German from those. It strikes me that this would probably be a great
resource for intermediate learners. The content is pretty simple, but they still use
some more advanced vocabulary at times as it is ultimately a resource for native
Chinese speakers. There was definitely a time or two when I understood the meaning of
the Chinese sentence but might not have been able to reproduce certain of the terms
myself off the tip of my tongue... that's a pretty good recommendation for intermediate
students, because I would say that although, after this past year of essentially total-
immersion-at-home, I sound fluent when speaking and no longer need to think before
spewing out rapid Chinese (thanks, mom!), the actual level of my vocabulary/sentence
structure is generally pretty basic! For all the frills, I'm definitely an intermediate
student here!

(I would consider myself an upper intermediate student right now in listening
comprehension and lower intermediate in amount of characters learned/recognized.)

Edited by annette on 09 August 2010 at 4:41am

1 person has voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 82 of 95
11 August 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
So lately people have been suggesting that I learn French and German to reading
proficiency for my academic studies as part of my long-term plan. This sounds really
reasonable to me, but what with actual academic commitments and all, I don't know if
I'll have enough time to do the type of study that I prefer to do (heck, I haven't even
truly started German yet and it's been on my list at least since January). So my plan
right now is that I can slowly, slowly, slowly begin work on one and simultaneously
keep up with all the other things I have to do for school (Arabic, Chinese, Middle
Egyptian, possibly Hebrew, OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MYSELF).

(I anticipate at least one argument with my advisor before he signs off on my course
schedule. "Why the hell are you taking three languages courses??" The sticking point is
going to be Chinese as that language, however much I love it, ultimately will probably
have a sum total of nothing to do with my major, unlike the rest. I'm going to argue it
from the point of embracing my own cultural heritage and "just for fun.")

Anyway. The next decision to make is: if I wanted to start either French or German and
study at a very slow and relaxed pace with the sole goal of reading proficiency (thus
cutting out a LOT of time and effort, because listening/speaking proficiency always
requires more exposure), which one should I start with? I'm leaning towards German
because I've always been more curious about German and hey, even my TAC log says German
on it already. On the other hand, French is one of those things that everyone knows and
that I therefore should probably have some familiarity with. And at this point, I don't
know which ultimately will have more bearing on my major, which I technically haven't
even committed to yet.

On another note, I'm starting to think that my TAC really should be Chinese
and English... all this language study is starting to addle my brains and weaken my
formerly firm grasp on my native language!

Edited by annette on 12 August 2010 at 12:20am

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 83 of 95
13 August 2010 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Finally got ahold of my new text that I have to cram the vocabulary for! After a week
of feeling pretty great about my Chinese abilities, now comes a week of, I foresee,
feeling kinda behind. This textbook is technically a second-year textbook (for the
heritage speaker class, so it's more advanced than the regular course), but there are a
surprising number of vocabulary that I wasn't really that familiar with! There were
quite a lot that I need to study how to write and even a few that I honestly hadn't
heard before. Yay review?

Luckily for my ego, the majority of the vocabulary terms were ones I knew or could
guess (=knew the single character components of). So I am not totally beyond hope.

If I manage to learn this stuff really, really well, I should be set. I'm going to
guess that my speaking/listening proficiency + 2nd year heritage track writing/reading
proficiency should be at least equivalent to the proficiency of a student who has just
completed the 3rd year regular track, possibly better (speaking/listening is hard to
develop). And that will bring me to right where I hope to place this fall. All the
courses I want to take have that as the prerequisite!

I have about a week left for cramming, basically, and then scattered time for review
here and there. I have 16 pages' worth of vocabulary glossary, with approximately 40
vocab words per page to review (if my current rate is anything to go by). Wish me luck!

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 84 of 95
14 August 2010 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Sometime I'm going to have go on a rant here about a surprisingly common phenomenon: people who have never
reached any proficiency in Chinese or often have never even studied Chinese saying that Chinese is the easiest
language ever.

I don't have time now to really give this topic the undeserved vitriol I wish I could spit at it, but basically it's like
this.

Chinese is an extraordinarily difficult language.

However, the grammar seems "easy" in comparison to languages with cases, more complex tenses, etc, such as
English and Arabic, just to name two.

Therefore, you have all these inflated blowhards who have had this perfectly reasonable statement go in one ear
and come out the other strutting around claiming that Chinese as a whole is "the easiest language ever" and
other such grotesque misinterpretations.

This sentence is most often used to scorn and denigrate those who actually, genuinely work at Chinese. "This
language is so easy, why is it taking you that long? Har de har, you must be dumb." Or alternately, "I'm an asshat
in need of an ego boost... look at how dumb and silly your simple language is compared to this awesome
language I am studying, and therefore how dumb and silly you are to be spending so much effort with so few
dividends while I can already read Le Monde because I am smarter than you." (paraphrased actual conversations
that happen with unsurprising frequency)

This sentence is also often used by misguided idiots who have not yet made any meaningful efforts in Chinese
and assume that because they can now say "ni hao" with an incomprehensible accent and near-absence of basic
tones (and let's not even get onto the complexities of intonation, which I have yet to see more than a handful of
Americans, at least, reproduce with any accuracy), that because they have learned a phrase from a tourist
handbook somewhere or once had an "Asian friend" who taught them a word of Chinese that likely was actually
Korean, therefore they now are able to make sweeping statements on the great and complex thing that is the
Chinese language and call it "easy."

(I may not be the foremost authority on the Chinese language but I hope you'll bear with me when I tell you that I
have more experience and thus a better position from which to speculate on the difficulty of Chinese than these
numbnuts.)

I'll admit to having said this sentence once or twice while trying to convince friendly acquaintances that Chinese
is a worthwhile course of study. "Look at how cool this language is! Look at what you'll be able to do! And it's not
even that intimidating, despite all the scratchy characters... how perfect, right?"

But it still drives me absolutely off the wall when people use this statement to dismiss the efforts of those
attempting to learn what, ultimately, is quite a difficult language.

Here are some things that make Chinese difficult (note use of descriptive adjective, not the comparative):

- the characters. Enough said.
- The huge rift in register between literary Chinese and spoken Chinese, media Chinese and conversational
Chinese. I am not a language teacher; I don't know how best these should be taught. But I do know that I know
multiple ambitious language learners who happily begin their studies in newspaper Chinese while still at a very
basic level and fck up their spoken Chinese in hilarious ways, among other things. Color me unimpressed. That
said, I know many more language learners who have managed to balance this divide quite well, sometimes better
than me (my media Chinese sucks!).
- The intonation... and no, I'm not just talking about first tone, second tone, third tone, fourth tone, qing tone.
I'm talking about the greater structures of intonation in every sentence. I meet many students who can
approximate the five tones with quite some accuracy when pronouncing each tone by itself, but I have met
maybe only one or two foreigners (not counting all the professors I know) who can at all replicate the deeper
patterns. This requires a lot of exposure and maybe some attention. I could speak forever about the various
things I've noticed here, but here's a very basic and obvious example: students very frequently pitch their first
tone too high and subsequently do not know how to pronounce their following tones in a sentence (as each tone
is defined in a sentence by its proximity pitch-wise to its brethren). As a result, they sound ridiculous. Of course
I understand that not every learner wants a native accent or even just "coherent, educated, lightly accented
speech that nonetheless nobody will mock you for" (my goal), but it has to be said: there needs to be more
attention paid to intonation.
- Here's another one about register that's tricky. Some phrases you need two-character words for from such and
such a register. Some words or structures you need to follow with four-character phrases for from such and such
a register. And so on. Any substitution will sound unnatural. This is another one that needs exposure because
textbooks never tell you useful things like this, you just have to read and listen a lot and think, "Hey, this phrase
always seems to be followed by a two-word abstract verb..."
- The use of compound words. These really trip students up a lot.
- Unlike many other languages, Chinese is very difficult to translate literally into English. I am currently studying
Arabic and I'm far from proficient, but I'm able to read newspapers with relative ease (something I definitely can't
say for Chinese yet!). Anyway, often in Arabic you will find that if you know the meaning of every word in the
sentence, you will know the meaning of the sentence. If you know how to translate every word in the sentence
into English, you will know how to translate the sentence into English. There's a little bit of shuffling when it
comes to sentence order, true, that basic Chinese doesn't have, but - from my meager experience - often that's
about it. (Well, literature is another beast, but let's keep on topic.) Meanwhile, in Chinese, knowing every
character in a sentence does not guarantee that you understand the sentence. Knowing every word (phrase) in
the sentence doesn't necessarily guarantee that you understand the sentence. Understanding the sentence
doesn't guarantee that you'll be able to translate it with the degree of literality (typical caveats included) that you
could translate Arabic... or better yet, that you could translate a Romance language, from what I hear. Often
enough, with Chinese I find that [word A] + [word B] =/= word A + word B.

I'm now bored of writing this tangent. I've lost steam and direction. But seriously guys, I'm not joking when I say
that out of all the languages I have ever studied to whatever degree of proficiency (or non-proficiency) I've
attained in them... at this point, I would say that Chinese is easily the hardest.

Now I'm not saying that Chinese is the most difficult language EVARR. But even for the type of person who does
not aim as high as I do, even for the type of person who only wants to learn how to order dim sum in their
"authentic" Chinese restaurant that caters exclusively to fetishizing yanggui (hmm, maybe a later rant is in order
on rice queens and yellow fever)... I hope you can agree with me when I say that Chinese is certainly not the
easiest.
2 persons have voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 85 of 95
16 August 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Wow, I must have been really tired that other day!

Just some orders of business.

- Posted in my old log for probably the last time. It's awfully strange to see your old posts. I was so incredibly
frustrated with Arabic at that time! Obviously I still have my moments of frustration, but honestly I'm starting to
consider Arabic my haven! Chinese causes me more stress because there is pressure on me to "be good at it" and
I don't even know half the media phrases in Chinese that I know in Arabic.

for my own
reference

- Had some more Mandarin conversations with strangers today. I will never get used to the fact that people
simply do not think I'm Chinese. Which, you know, is true in a way (I'm only half), but I really identify as Asian
most of the time. I guess I just look like a big fat laowai. It's funny to see people start when I open my mouth and
start speaking though.

- As much as I would like to learn some German, it's looking like French is more necessary for me at this point. I
really need reading proficiency in French for my major and areas of academic interest. I also apparently already
have some French textbooks around my mother's house, although I have no idea what or where. I know I can't
afford to spend a course slot on French and I really don't want to spend a summer either, so my options are a
free class (but where?) or self-study (more likely). I figure if I start now, I can take it slowly and still gain reading
proficiency before graduate school applications, etc. (Though preferably sooner yet.)

- That said, with my favored method of intense procrastination followed by intense study, I don't know if I can
afford to fit French into my schedule. I may already be cramming another language into the mess in the fall -
we'll see if my advisor signs off on my course schedule!

- Arabic... today I watched a lot of children's cartoons. This is rapidly becoming my favorite thing to do and claim
is studying. Now I am working on a translation of a short story that I started in the spring but probably am much
better-equipped to handle now. I'm both amused and scandalized at my old mistakes. Sign of improvement? To
keep motivation up, you gotta look out for those.

Edited by annette on 10 September 2010 at 7:37pm

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 86 of 95
21 August 2010 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
No time lately.

I've made flashcards for about 1/4th of the glossary but am now abandoning that project to cram as many
basic/high frequency characters as possible before my placement test, which is in a little over a week but I won't
have any time for study.

Tired.

Need to create alternate course schedule in pursuit of ADVENTURE.

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 87 of 95
22 August 2010 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
I did the first part of my placement test online. Was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't do as badly as I thought
I would but also didn't do perfectly (which is great - I don't want to place in an upper level class, I want to place in
an intermediate class where I will learn useful things but also get good grades).

I have a "writing" section that I need to print out again and bring with me to the in-person placement, then I have
an interview at which I have a variety of things I need to remember to bring up in conversation (note to self:
PREPARE LIST), then I have to do some reading out loud which I should probably practice for and I'll be fine.

I'm going MIA from studies again for a week at least, but I hope to assemble or secure a beginner level character list
to do some quick review with before my placement test on next Monday or so.

I also need to do some quick review for Arabic but I'm more worried about Chinese right now.

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 88 of 95
10 September 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Exhausted.

I took my placement tests for Mandarin and Arabic and did all right. The Mandarin class I'm in is actually a little
bit below my level, which is actually perfect and what I was aiming for. I just hope they don't bump me up a level
because I am quite obviously more orally fluent than my classmates, although our writing/reading is probably
about the same. I've been so tired in this particular class lately that I haven't really participated much (and when I
do I've been stumbling more than usual), so if I just keep up the sub-par work for another week I should be fine.
I mean, they can't really bounce me to another level that easily once the school year has started in earnest...

Arabic is a mixed bag. Generally speaking, I think I'm about even with most of my classmates, minus heritage
speakers and things like that. But I'm not sure yet how easily I will be able to keep up with the work or how much
I will be able to improve in this course (especially speaking - I also haven't really made any Arabic-speaking
friends yet so I don't know yet how I can improve or practice that). It's very stressful and I think one of my
professors is actually sick of me. As in, a new development in the last week. I mean... rationally I know he
probably isn't. But I just have this strange, intense conviction that he does not want to see me around at office
hours anymore. I'll probably avoid him for a week or two and go to office hours with other people and hope that
after that short break we'll be back to interacting like normal.

So that's placement. In terms of language learning both are going a little slowly, as most classes do. The good
thing about classes however is that it really forces me to work on these languages regularly, something I might
not do as well were I studying purely on my own time.

Edited by annette on 10 September 2010 at 7:38pm

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version