Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
95 messages over 12 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 11 12 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 9 of 95
29 December 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
Go team H! Shall we pick a team name?
1 person has voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 95
29 December 2009 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Oh yes! I think Dragonfly is around somewhere too. Her log from last year is here and
has a recent post:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=13311&PN=3

I haven't posted in it yet because I wasn't sure if she wanted to start a new log or
continue using that one. (Just didn't want to mess up any organization going on; I know
some people like keeping their threads separate.)

Any ideas for names? And what do you think about a team log (clubhouse)? I have mixed
feelings about that idea. I guess in the end it comes down to how much we think we'd
use it. I know that someone in the Team TAC thread suggested team challenges, and a
team log would certainly come in handy then, but I don't think that idea went through.

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6290 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 11 of 95
29 December 2009 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I'm really here. Glad to have you as my teammates.
I think it's a good idea to have a separate thread for the TeamTAC. There we can discuss the methods and materials we use, mark our milestones and encourage each other. And also choose a team name. The only one that come to my mind is "a fruit team" as mandarin in Russian is a fruit that in English I believe is also called tangerin.
You are welcome to write in my log as I haven't decided yet if I'll start a new one or not.

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 12 of 95
30 December 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
That sounds good! Let's make a team thread and continue our discussion of the name in
there, then. My internet is very shaky today so I am not making the team thread right now
- if anyone wants to get the ball rolling, feel free to go ahead. I'll probably be back
for a short while after another 12 hours, depending on whether I've managed to track down
my Chinese textbook!

Also, mandarin oranges are delicious.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 13 of 95
02 January 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, since there's another team doing Mandarin, just calling us "the mandarin team" would be bad.

I have another idea: how'bout 三人行 (san1 ren2 xing2)? It's
1. a reference to a quote by Confucius (三人行必有我师), roughly "among three people walking with me one of them must be my teacher", so you can learn from anybody.
2. the title of a Mandarin easy reader for Germans, which tells the story of a German girl going to Beijing.
3. referring to us being a team of three

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 14 of 95
02 January 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I was talking to someone about the introductory Classical Chinese course at my
university that I want to start auditing in a week or so (if I can only get my crap
together! ugh, we'll see, as I haven't started any cramming/review for basic classical
Chinese yet), and apparently they had that quote on an exam and none of the students
recognized it. That was okay, because it was a translation exercise anyway, but
unfortunately almost every single person in the class visualized an egotistic Confucius
and rendered it as something along the lines of "For every three people, I am the
teacher of one of them..."

I'm okay with just about any team name. We can always change our team name later if we
decide that we don't like it after all.

I haven't created a team thread yet because I have no idea what I'd put on it (I've
also been really distracted these last couple of days due to holiday stuff so haven't
done anything related to language at all). If one of you guys wants to create it, go
ahead!

and have a Happy New Year! (late)

dragonfly
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6290 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 15 of 95
03 January 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Annette and all, Happy New Year!

Great name, Sprachprofi!

I think it would be appropriate to make links to our private journals in the team log, but I can't make tags (shame on me). Can't any of you start the log and do it, girls?

Edited by dragonfly on 03 January 2010 at 9:47pm

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 16 of 95
04 January 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
All right! Sorry for waffling back and forth on the log - I don't know what I was
doing; I must have been too tired to think straight or something. Luckily, Sprachprofi
has gone ahead and made the log for us:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=18629&PN=1

Thank you Sprachprofi!

I'll be cramming HEAVILY starting tomorrow - I only have a week before my class starts!
Oh dear.

ETA: And yes, xin1nian2kuai4le4 to all! Although we all know the REAL New Year isn't
until Feb 14th or so... ;)

Edited by annette on 04 January 2010 at 9:17am

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version