Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6290 days ago

204 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, Mandarin

Message 41 of 95
18 March 2010 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
Hi, Annette! Cheer up! Your Chinese is quite decent, as I can see, so you've already put a great deal of effort into it, and I'm sure, you'll be able to conquer all your deseases and bad moods! Haven't you found a way of learning that brings you pleasure and satisfaction yet? For me it's good to establish some everyday learning routine that helps me to get distracted from problems and chores.
By the way, how long habe you been learning Chinese?
1 person has voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 42 of 95
18 March 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I think that the everyday routine thing is probably the key - just to do something
every day at the same time, so that you don't forget about it :).

In general I like studying, I just don't like doing repetitious flashcard/memorization
type stuff. Maybe I should make it into a kind of a game? I do most of my studying by
just reading. This works pretty well, but it means that there are a lot of characters
and words that I can recognize in context but not by themselves, and I can't reproduce
them either.

I've been studying Mandarin for four or five years now, on and off, but I had exposure
to the language as a young child - my mother is a native speaker and used to speak
Mandarin to me when I was a little kid, but when I got older my family decided to go
monolingual and we stopped using Chinese. So in a way I have both sides of the coin - I
had to learn most things from scratch and from a foreign standpoint, but I also had the
advantage of never having to worry about tones and I have a native speaker on hand
whenever I want to call home. Although to be honest, I don't practice Mandarin with my
mother that often because she's used to speaking English to me, so after a while we end
up slipping into Chinglish, and that really messes with my Chinese grammar, haha.

Thank you for your encouragement. :) I think I was a little exhausted yesterday and all
my frustration came out. I feel much better now though!

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 43 of 95
20 March 2010 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
This is day one of my new plan to read more news in Chinese and Arabic, and holy crap!
Part of my plan to keep myself motivated is to read about the same issue in English,
Chinese, and Arabic and see how the various major news networks differ in their
portrayal of the issue. So the first step in this process is to locate articles about
the same specific topic. Now, I am reaaaaaaally lazy, not to mention that it takes me a
while to warm up before I start reading at a non-glacial pace in my L2, so I decided to
do myself a favor and Google Translate all the headlines, then switch back to the L2
once I get to the actual text of the article.

Well, I just did that, and wow, MIND BLOWN. I have to admit that I wasn't very
impressed with Google Translate before. I usually only use online translation engine
for single words, and my experience with Google Translate there is that it never gives
me the right word. So this is the first time in literally years that I've used Google
Translate on a larger chunk of text. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was
really surprised at how accurate Google Translate was:

Quote:
"Left Beijing on Friday a delegation of the National People's Congress, China's
parliament, for an official goodwill visit to Tunisia, Egypt and Malaysia.

Delegation was headed by Wang Zhao Guo, a member of the Political Bureau of the Central
Committee of the Communist Party of China and Vice-Chairman of the Standing Committee
of the National People's Congress." (Google Translate, Arabic to English)

Now, obviously the translation is not perfect. But you can easily understand the
general idea of the text. And this took Google about half a second, whereas it would
take me, I don't know, definitely at least a minute or two. And just think, in another
couple of years the translations will be even better!

Of course, part of this is because Arabic is pretty close to English in some key ways.
Translating from Chinese to English with this engine yields much spottier results. So
keep on studying Chinese, guys! The machines haven't won yet.

As an aside, it's a platitude, but things are what we make them. Sometimes I wonder if
Arabic is only this difficult for the Westerner because of all the cultural debris
we've built up around that language.

Edited by annette on 25 March 2010 at 12:53am

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 44 of 95
20 March 2010 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Just some scattered thoughts.

1. On the last page I posted a link to what Pyx described as a Japanese site
with videos for Beijinghua as well as Putonghua and commented on my confusion as to
what, exactly, the differences are. Snowflake was very helpful but I was still a little
confused, so I ended up asking a Chinese teacher today. She made a very interesting
point, which essentially that we need to make a distinction between the Beijing accent
and the Beijing dialect, both of which are often (erroneously) referred to simply as
Beijinghua." Beijing-accented Putonghua is what most of us are accustomed to hearing;
it's easily comprehensible, once you get used to the tone shifts and the 儿s and maybe
a little dialect-slang, and because many of the people living in Beijing aren't native
to that city or otherwise haven't grown up in that local culture, it's what you hear
most frequently as you walk around Beijing. The Beijing dialect meanwhile is apparently
much harder to understand; my teacher cited a Beijing friend saying, "We're both
Chinese, but if I were with my old friends and we were speaking in Beijinghua, you
wouldn't understand a word." So basically, Beijinghua - the dialect, with all its
unique vocabulary - is super local and comparable to something like Shanghainese,
whereas Beijing Putonghua is what you're probably exposed to.

I didn't get a chance to show my teacher the videos and ask if there was any Beijing
slang in them, but if we accept the distinction she made, then maybe (probably not, but
MAYBE) these videos are in fact in Putonghua, considering that I can actually
understand 99% of what's going on. This agrees with something else my teacher
mentioned, which was that in certain other Asian countries, namely Japan, Mandarin is
often marketed as "Beijinghua" because of how most learning materials teach a watered
down version of the Beijing accent. Maybe even your learning materials? I certainly
remember having a bit of a shock when I first switched from Taiwan-published materials
and Taiwanese teachers to self-studying with "standard"/common textbooks... I wasn't
used to all the 儿s!

2. Completely unrelated, but here are two terms I came across today that gave me
some trouble.

First off, we have 宿命/宿命的, which apparently is not often used and generally refers
to the attitude of things being destined or inevitable (sorry, I know what this means
in the context of a sentence, but I don't know how to define it clearly and because
I've just learned it, I only have passive understanding of the word, so I'm scared to
try and define it because I might lead you astray). The 宿 bit actually comes from the
word for 'constellation' or something like that, so we could even parallel this with
the English expression, "It's in the stars," as echoed in the phrase "star-crossed
lovers"... so that makes sense, right? It's not hard to understand in context, I swear.
The main trouble I had here was with pronunciation, and honestly I probably would have
never noticed if I hadn't mentioned it to my Chinese teacher:

Me: "Hey, I just came across this really cool word, xiu3ming4. Isn't that cute?"
Her: "You mean su4ming4, right?"
Me: "No, I looked it up and it's xiu3ming4. I mean, that's the right character - it's
the su4 of su4she4, but apparently you can read it as xiu3 too. Which makes sense,
because that's, like, constellation, or whatever."
Her: "No, you mean su4ming4, nobody says xiu3ming4."
Me: "But... I looked it up..."
Her: "Whoever wrote that dictionary was too erudite. If you look at the history of the
word, you could read it as xiu3, but somewhere along the way people started to misread
it as su4ming4, and now that's all you hear. If you say xiu3ming4, you will sound
ridiculous."

So there you go. This conversation was in Mandarin, so my apologies if I managed to
completely misunderstand her point. In any event, su4ming4 it is!

The second term I wanted to immortalize here in this lovely forum is X 被 Y 当猴耍, or
alternately X 被当猴耍, or even 把 X 当猴耍... basically I just really like the 猴耍
hou2shua3 thing! Anyway, the hou2shua3 bit refers to the monkey circuses that are/were
apparently pretty common in China (no clue here, any input?). So to 把 X 当猴耍 is
literally to treat X as a performing monkey. It kind of means to treat someone like
they're so stupid that you can trick them easily, and it kind of means to treat someone
like they'd blindly obey you and do whatever you say and believe whatever you tell them
- basically treat this as a metaphor, not a word with a static definition... I just
thought it was a nice turn of phrase. I love little sayings like this :). I think
they're my favorite part of learning a new language.

3. I've finally started using a spreadsheet to track my time. This has been
suggested to me numerous times before, but I simply never got around to it. Then,
earlier today, I was browsing through some old threads when I found a 2009 post by
doviende in which he links to his spreadsheets for German, which are organized by
month, day, week, trimonthly period... Now, I am a complete sucker for any sort of
activity that will allow my inner organizational freak to show through, especially if
it will waste time AND make me feel like I'm being productive, so one look at his
color-coded stats and I was off to Google Docs to make my own beautiful spreadsheet.
I've already decided what colors I want to use and how many hair-splitting categories I
will include. One for # of new flashcards, one for # of flashcards reviewed, one for #
of minutes spent on flashcards, one for % of flashcards I got right... on and on... I
can just see it already, my own little piece of crosshatched heaven... ;)

Edited by annette on 25 March 2010 at 1:41am

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 45 of 95
22 March 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Today has mostly been an Arabic day, I read about 1000 words (intensive reading).
Usually I just skim and guesstimate, and that works pretty well except that I'm really
not learning the vocab I need to know, so... yeah, intensive reading is on the menu for
now.

Earlier today, I posted a lengthy description of my reading process for short excerpts
in Mandarin. I go through slightly different steps for most of the reading I do, but
sometimes I come across short passages (a few paragraphs) or easy passages (a page or
two) that I want to practice reading out loud with. Anyway, I typed that up on
Sprachprofi's thread, and then I got to thinking, "Why don't I do that with Arabic?"
For some reason, I have lots of tricks that I do to streamline my Mandarin study, but I
really haven't applied most of them to my Arabic study. So I am copying and pasting
that earlier post into this thread of mine now for future reference.

Quote:
Grouping words. I have a method that I go through for all the short excerpts
that I want to read intensively. I don't know if this will work for other people, but
I've typed out my general method anyway and maybe you can pick and choose to see if any
of it looks useful to you.

The first time I read through, I skim as quickly as I can without spending too much
time thinking about any one word. The goal is to read (in your mind) much faster than
you are able to read out loud. The difference between what I'm describing and
traditional speed-reading is that with speed-reading you usually try to comprehend the
point of the text, whereas here your main goal is just to comprehend scattered words
and everything else is bonus points. Anyway, I find that this helps me start to
recognize entire sections of text instead of individual characters, so instead of
reading 幼 and then 儿 and then 园, I get to a stage where I automatically see 幼儿园 as
an entire unit. I've done this for a while so that it actually takes me longer to read
the characters individually - 幼儿园 takes me a fraction of a second, but if you wanted
me to read 园儿幼 I'd probably falter. I think most people do this at a subconscious
level when they study Chinese, but my point here is that by skimming, I'm consciously
forcing myself to practice this skill. Anyway, that should take only a minute or two as
the point is to 'read' as quickly as possible and to understand isolated phrases/words
at a glance, not to understand how to pronounce things or what the whole
sentence/excerpt means.

The second time I read through, I am a little bit more thorough and look up any unknown
words, and this is when I like to do my blocking. I just draw boxes around all the
words and phrases and anything I think should go together grammatically. So your first
sentence might look something like:

我[第一次][说谎][可能]是在[幼儿园]的[时候].

Then I draw larger boxes or insert slashes to represent the parts of the sentence that
I think could be said in one breath:

我[第一次][说谎]
[可能]是在
[幼儿园]的[时候].

(Obviously I'm not actually going to pause for a huge breath at the end of every chunk
- this is just where I might pause or slow down naturally in the sentence. So I'm not
going to REALLY separate 在 from 幼儿园, but I might slow down a little. I prefer to
reference audio/native speakers for this part because the goal is to learn what rhythm
native speakers use in these sentences, but if I don't have appropriate resources then
I just trust my intuition and try to sound kind of normal.)

The third time through, I just read it out loud, trying to pay close attention to
natural intonation. Usually by then I am ready to move on. The whole process doesn't
take me that much time. The most useful step is obviously the blocking. Because you
tell yourself that you're not "really" reading the text (after all, that can wait for
step 3), you go fairly quickly, but at the same time in order to draw those boxes you
have to be conscious of the grammar and vocabulary. Then when you get to step 3, you
find that you've already done all the hard work and you can just work on pronunciation
and intonation.

On another note, I think all this language study is destroying my English, haha. I just
make less and less sense every time I try to type. It doesn't help that I take notes in
a sort of an ungrammatical multilingual shorthand.

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 46 of 95
25 March 2010 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
So... vocabulary. I need to find a way to learn it that works for me. That's all.

I'm afraid that I'm a lazy learner in that I am more interested in using a language
than I am in learning it. In practice, this means that I will decide to read, say, a
newspaper article in Arabic, but I won't necessarily learn the vocabulary contained in
it. If I read a sentence and understand the meaning but not the grammar or even the
individual words, something that happens to me quite often, I simply don't always look
up the unknown or contemplate the sentence structures, because hey, I understand the
thing, right?

This is especially obvious with Chinese, where I can read a news article about Tibet
without blinking an eye but would struggle to summarize the issue in appropriately
advanced terms. But it is most problematic in Arabic because I am actually on something
of a schedule there. With Chinese, I've had literally years to play around and do
whatever I want and slowslowly (manmande) absorb by osmosis. Meanwhile with Arabic I
don't have time to spend years dabbling here and there and hope that eventually I
develop a solid foundation, because I have to take a placement test in just a couple
months. And part of that placement test will be an oral interview. And honestly, my
speaking skills are lagging behind my reading skills to such a point that I actually
worry that they might land me in a class that will not challenge me.

And somehow this turned from a post about my desire to study vocabulary more
productively - I was going to make a list of steps I could take! - into a post about my
need to improve my listening/speaking skills, just like almost every other recent post
of mine. Clearly this is weighing on my mind. :)

Note to self: ask about the format of the placement test - it's not really
useful information but it will make me feel like I have more of a handle on the
situation!

Note to classmate: hi there! I just want to mention that the department is
supposedly making major changes to the curriculum right now. These aren't just empty
words - our lang coordinator is relatively new and has really been pushing the ball on
this agenda with obvious effect. The good thing is that Arabic will no longer suck at
our uni (let's hope), but the bad thing is that it means that I really don't know what
the various levels of classes are going to look like next year. I don't think this will
mess with your plans at all - you're clearly going to be able to place in a decent
class - which is why I didn't send an urgent memo on Facebook or whatever, but you
know, maybe something to keep in mind. If you read this, tell me how you study
vocabulary that sounds fairly similar. The roots/forms are really helpful in that you
can easily keep track of related words, but I'm having a hard time memorizing words
that are of the same form and share two out of three roots, for instance.

Edited by annette on 25 March 2010 at 2:31am

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 47 of 95
30 March 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Least productive week EVER. Now that I'm tracking my Arabic on a spreadsheet, I can see
that I've done... nothing... since last Thursday.

I think I did like 10 minutes of flashcards at one point over the weekend.

Ugh.

On the bright side, I am doing SO MUCH Chinese!! I haven't had time to read literature,
but I've been doing lots of research on the internet. (Ironically, mostly information
related to Arabic and Islam)

March 31 - pattern is emerging in my study habits: binge and purge.

Edited by annette on 01 April 2010 at 5:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

annette
United States
Joined 5317 days ago

164 posts - 192 votes 

Message 48 of 95
03 April 2010 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
April 2 - off the purge, on the binge, striving for consistency. Oh, and I finally
succumbed and bought an iPod Touch, which I am MADLY in love with. The only problem is
that I have something like seven keyboard lay-outs activated (English, Arabic,
Simplified Chinese pinyin input, Simplified hand-written input, Traditional hand-
written input, Traditional pinyin input, Traditional zhuyin input). I kind of feel like
this is slowing the machine down a little. Good thing I didn't add Japanese support,
right?

For those of you who are like me technologically challenged but have access to a
iPhone/Touch and want to type in your L2: go to settings>general>keyboards. If you want
to change the default language of the entire gadget, do settings>general>international.

I haven't purchased any apps yet, but I'm trying out lots and lots of free ones. I
haven't used any long enough yet to know whether they will truly be useful for me in my
studies, though. Flashcard Touch (which I got for free back when they were doing that
promotion) looks like it'll be most useful for me. I don't study enough flashcards
usually, and that's mostly because I keep my flashcards on the internet but I don't
actually spend that much time online. I'm hoping that this flashcard app will help
alleviate that issue. The best thing is that it's integrated with Quizlet, which is one
of the sites I use and probably the only one I use with any sort of consistency (ugly
design but the program is just simple enough for simple me, although I do wish it could
do SRS stuff). So I'll try that and see how it goes. Of course the best thing about the
iPod Touch is that it can take advantage of free wireless!

If any of you guys know of great apps for the iPod Touch, please let me know! In
particular, I'm looking for good Chinese and Arabic dictionaries.

Edited by annette on 03 April 2010 at 5:08am

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version