TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6146 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 25 of 115
21 February 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Teango: Wow! Thanks for the links. I have never even imagined that it would be possible
to get Japanese parallel texts together with audio before..it's almost too good to be
true. And then I realized that I could buy it at a Swedish web shop without any shipping
costs. So I bought Breaking into Japanese Literature and Exploring Japanese Literature
直traightaway.

Now I'm really excited and I look forward to get my books. I don't know how to thank
you...or actually I do: What about a simple "thanks!".    

(I also managed to get past 900 kanjis today. My inertia is finally broken.)

Edited by M. Medialis on 21 February 2010 at 5:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 26 of 115
21 February 2010 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
M. Medialis wrote:
So I bought Breaking into Japanese Literature and Exploring Japanese Literature 直traightaway.

Bansai!!...I know this kanji...I almost forgot about Khatz's code-switching, great stuff. Incidentally, I've pre-ordered a copy of his "First Japanese Storybook" which is due out next 月onth, so I'll let you know how that rolls later...

M. Medialis wrote:
I also managed to get past 900 kanjis today. My inertia is finally broken.

Wow, 900 kanji already, great achievement! I'm simply in awe with my pitiful side-order of 112 so far this year, I so want to learn more kanji now... :)

Edited by Teango on 21 February 2010 at 8:44pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 27 of 115
22 February 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Reviewing the Kanji is a great little website. How are you getting on with it? I've just been using Anki with RTK1 up till now, and substituting my own peculiar stories for the kanji as I remember them much better. This however takes quite a while, no matter how creative or swift-fingered at typing. The facility to review and add other peoples' stories and export this as csv along with the kanji is a real time-saver. I'm even very tempted to switch and use this instead of Anki from now on...

Edited by Teango on 22 February 2010 at 9:47pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6146 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 28 of 115
22 February 2010 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
I think it works really well. The biggest drawback may be that there are only 3 grading
levels, but on the other hand, having restudy sessions on half-forgotten cards help me
to find even stronger stories.

In order to come up with stories as fast as possible, I scroll through the highest
ranked Reviewing the Kanji stories and get ideas. If there are no stories that suit me,
I now go to www.kanjinetworks.com and see if the official etymologies can give me any
ideas.

Having other peoples ideas at hand is great. I often get the feeling "wow! I'd never
come up with that" - and then I often tweak the story to match my mind. But I rarely
write the stories down, -only the ones that are especially beautiful, or the ones that
give me trouble (I prefer using my index finger to draw the character on my palm, while
abstractly visualizing the mnemonic, instead of writing the story down).

By the way. I've noticed that the ideal rhythm for me when learning kanji is to first
make the daily reps, then study about 20-25 new characters in daytime, and make the
very first review of them in the evening. Don't know if this works for anyone else, but
it's definitely the way of studying that gives me the best retention (among the ones
I've tried).

Man, this post just turned into an essay...

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6146 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 29 of 115
25 February 2010 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
TAC Log nr 8/52

Oh yeah! Today I finally reached 1000 kanji. I can't believe I've reached this far, I've failed so many times before. I love this TAC!

I've also found a way to make lectures fun. Every time I hear a word that can be matched to a Heisig keyword, I write out the corresponding kanji.

Kanji count: 1000!

Actions during the past week

I've loaded my cell phone with 1 GB of japanese podcasts and audiobooks, so at last I have something fun to listen to when I can't LR.

Besides reading some parallel texts without audio (don't know if this can be harmful before I'm fluent in hearing, but I hope it will give me a better connection with the kana), I've done my daily lr and my daily kanji and nothing more, so I don't have very much to say. I look forward to when I get my new books. Thx again Teango!

I will have very much course work to do the coming week, so my plan is simply to get through it with a positive japanese net effect.

Current plan

Continue with the kanji.

Find as much time to listen to japanese as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------

Team K - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 25 February 2010 at 11:27pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6146 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 32 of 115
28 February 2010 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Wow!! A million thanks AniaR!

This is almost too good to be true.

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version