Sweden
Joined 6147 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 58 of 115
03 April 2010 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
TAC Log nr 11/52

Back from the Canary Islands, after a refreshing week of lazy days in the sun (which for some reason always results in heavy inspiration and some slight megalomanic feelings).

I had planned to devote the 5 hour flight to non-stop LR, but unfortunately, after 45 minutes I was told that using cell phones is prohibited during the flight (can't even use them in flight mode, which is pretty strange since laptops are allowed....). My inability to deliberately provoke officials made me turn off my cell phone, and devise a grand back-up plan: I simply picked up "Breaking into Japanese literature" and started to do intensive reading. That book is truly a great learning tool, parallel texts together with a zero-omission dictionary on every page. Doing that for most of the remaining hours made me realize how shallow my Japanese LR still is. I discovered many words, constructs and kanji readings that I've previously missed.

-I see this as a good reason to top my LR with some Scriptorium, and I hope it can speed up my learning.

I also spent some passive listening hours while laying down in the sun, and that's about everything I've been doing the last week.

Kanji count: 1312

Wikipedia coverage: 72.37 %

Now, I must admit that I am very proud of myself. When I came back, two days ago, I hadn't done any kanji reps for a whole week, (on top of that, I had left a pile with a fairly big number of forgotten cards).

So the status of my Koohii deck was 469 pending cards! I spent the first day simply going through them (surely takes a while), and this rendered a total of 201 forgotten cards.

That's a whole lot of cards to go through, especially since I want to write my forgotten kanjis down until I get them to look good. But by using the Neo-Khatzumotian Wisdom of AJATT, I decided to sit down and do a few cards every once in a while. And to my great delight, Khatz was right (as always) - I got into a flow where I almost couldn't stop. (lol, makes me think of my two-yeard old nephew who refused to go into the pool for the whole week. But when he got in at last, he was completely exhilarated and was splashing around tirelessly for hours and hours!).

So now I've actually gone through all the cards, carefully treating every individual kanji. I feel very good about myself, and I know for sure that I'd never done it if it wasn't for this Team TAC Log. ;D

By doing this exercise, I've developed a new strategy of handling forgotten cards: When I've written down three or four kanjis, I sit back and simply look at them, trying to "see" the meaning of them. By doing this I get some free sight-reading practice, at the same time as I get a few seconds of relaxation.

Actions during the past weeks

Intensive Reading of The Nose.

Finished LR of Botchan by Natsume Soseki (great book and great voice actor. Recommended!).

Current plan

Make another LR round with Botchan.

Start to do Japanese Scriptorium.

Watch anime.

Look for some Japanese-style tea pots and teacups.

-----------------------------------------------------

Team K - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 03 April 2010 at 3:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5346 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 59 of 115
03 April 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back from the Canaries, Medialis! I bet it must have been great to get away to a lovely warm climate for a little while :) Did you get to see the ancient Dragon Tree whilst you were there by the way (it gets its name from the dark red resin)? Magical caves, ancient trees, and driving up above the clouds in a dilapidated white Fiesta, was what my folks enjoyed doing most when I holidayed there as a little nipper. I remember being more interested in learning how to order chocolate milkshakes and pistachio ice-cream in Spanish all the time, with eyes all a-goggle at the sheer number of lizards cooling down on our apartment wall. I'm very tempted to go back there on holiday now...would have to learn Spanish to fluency first of course though hehe... ;)

Well, that kanji count is coming up quick, you're really surfing those Koohi waves Bondi Beach style...I keep forgetting to check on my paltry few kanji learned so far, but luckily the backlog at this stage is never that much. I think I have much more fun making up the stories really than doing the reviews.

Edited by Teango on 03 April 2010 at 5:12pm

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6642 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 60 of 115
03 April 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
The whole team K is quite a source of motivation for me! Keep it up!

Unfortunately for me the TAC shifted from languages to university work. I had to really rethink some of my study habits, because I was having trouble. It seems to be better now, but I still hesitate to devote more time to languages rather than my school work. Bummer.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6147 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 61 of 115
04 April 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Kubelek: It's good to have you around!

Teango: Well, that fancy dragon tree was nowhere to be seen. We simply picked the wrong island. ;) (we were on Gran Canaria).

Since I went with my whole family, including my very young nephews, this trip was aimed towards relaxation and feeling generally good about ourselves. I usually like to do hardcore cultural trips (and of course make up a heavy title for it, such as "Irland - En Kulturresa" (translates to "Ireland - A Cultural Trip").

But not this time. This trip, was more like the Swedish classical movie Sällskapsresan 1. (a wonderful movie from the 80's. I don't know of any swede who doesn't love it). lol.

Btw. I got my only Spanish practise from saying ¡Gracias! in an overly cool and gracious way to the shop clerks.. but somehow I have the feeling that they didn't detect my awesomeness...

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5346 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 62 of 115
04 April 2010 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
It's a sunny Sunday afternoon...I'm about ready to topple over with delightful gluttony after eating too many chocolate easter eggs and cake...I even worked up an appetite by going to Easter Mass this morning (2 hours of German input ;) )...but what could make it even better still? Yes, that's what's missing...an 80s comedy classic to chill out with and watch on the sofa with a cup of tea (that's my English side coming out now)! "Sällskapsresan" sounds just the ticket here, and if I feel really indulgent, I might even follow this with "Good Bye, Lenin!" later this evening too... :)

Edited by Teango on 04 April 2010 at 2:05pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6147 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 63 of 115
04 April 2010 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
It'll be interesting to see what a non-swede thinks of that movie. There are many subtle jokes that capture some parts of the Swedish soul.

Edited by M. Medialis on 04 April 2010 at 3:37pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5346 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 64 of 115
06 April 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Just finished watching Sällskapsresan - bloody fantastic! I really enjoy films like this, they leave me with a healthy happy glow by the end. If you can think of any other Swedish comedies I'd be much obliged. Up till now, all I've watched are Ingmar Bergman black and white classics, which although very good and thought-provoking, tend to be a little on the serious side.

I think Brits and Swedes have a lot in common when it comes to humour. I've noticed this several times, and find it very easy to relate. We had uncannily similar characters to these back in the good ol' 80s UK. I was laughing out loud through most of the scenes, and I think I understood many of the "in" and "background" jokes too, as I have several Swedish friends and they tell me the score (e.g. Berra's t-shirt).

I really liked the Giraffe, he reminds me of a cool teacher I used to have in junior school (Mr Frebble) who taught us all about the planets and the wonders of the solar system. He was really very very nice, but sadly not well paid back then, so he used to visit peoples' homes and steam-clean carpets and curtains on the side for extra money at the weekend. He would have loved holidaying with Robban and Berra in Gran Canaria.

I must have disturbed my poor German neighbours during all this, especially when I repeated out loud "Jag kan flyga, jag är inte rädd"! The only thing I'm not 100% sure on is where the cheeky drum-roll catch-phrase "Rattarattara!" comes from (it resembles something from a vintage Benny Hill episode or similar)... ;)

Tack så mycket, Medialis! :D

Edited by Teango on 06 April 2010 at 10:16pm

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version