Sweden
Joined 6146 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 42 of 115
02 March 2010 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Kubelek:

Thanks! That was a nice little app. Apparently I can understand 58.397 % of the Japanese wikipedia (given a very strong imagination for understanding compounds   ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6641 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 43 of 115
02 March 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
Mine is 80%, so I think I'm ready to start editing existing articles ;)

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6228 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 45 of 115
02 March 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
The aforementioned program also works perfectly on Linux with wine.

Native linux tools such as mplayer don't work.

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6641 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 46 of 115
02 March 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
If you'd like to work with 'hana' go to

http://thejapanesepage.com/download

then 'ebooks' to find the Japanese text with individual words defined in English in the margin (plus audio, not sure if read by the same person). I think it is a nice tool to have at an early stage. I'm working with a parallel text of the little prince now, and not knowing too much grammar and words, I often have a hard time deciding if some kana are inflections, or a separate word. Stardict pop up dictionary I use doesn't always make it obvious.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6146 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 48 of 115
06 March 2010 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
TAC Log nr 9/52

This has been a pretty tough week. Had to spend alot of time with course work, and on top of that, the electricity system in the caravan where I live nearly collapsed which meant that I had to choose between lowering the temperature or get the whole place filled with smoke of burnt plastics.

(Yep, I actually live in a caravan. It's at an idyllic camp near the sea and the forest. Ususally very nice, and I don't have to pay any rent).

So that limited my Internet access and my kanji progress, and gave me a couple of cold mornings. Waking up in 8 degrees Celsius is somewhat...chilly.

But now everything is fixed, my Internet access is back, and the caravan is warm and cozy again.

Brand new L-R experiences

During these days, I've really had the need for just shutting off everything else and relax. And I've done it by studying Japanese.

I've been immensely enjoying the L-R materials that AniaR gave me (it's truly a big loss for me and many others that all her posts were removed). If you read this, AniaR, I just want to say that you once again have made my language learning progress sky-rocket. Can't thank you enough!

I've realized that LR-ing Japanese with parallel texts requires some real concentration. First, I need to read the translation as fast as possible, at the same time as I actively listen to the audio. Then I need to switch into Japanese reading mode in order to align the text with the audio and match the sounds to the kanjis. On top of all this, I naturally need to follow the plot and enjoy the book.

This truly requires some skills (it took me 6 months of LR before I learnt how to actually listen to a foreign language). But even though I'm a beginner, I've learnt a great deal in just a few days. I think something happens with my language comprehension when I connect the audio with the script. Suddenly, the words become crystal clear in my mind.

This is so exciting!!

In order to help me stay focused and calm, and prevent me from losing interest, I've invented my own personal LR environment. So I now proudly present:

M. Medialis' Tea Ceremony

I prepare a litre of green tea (have not found Japanese tea yet, but will get it in the future). Then I sit down in an upright posture in front of my computer display, having the tea cup warm my hands while I enjoy the taste and the scent of the tea. All this is done at the same time as I let the parallel texts and the audio flow into my mind like water. This is truly a very addictive way of doing L-R. All senses are active and I love it.

Kanji count: 1044

Actions during the past week

LR-ed Botchan by Natsume Soseki. Very interesting book.

Watching a couple of hours of subtitled anime and was able to make some sense of the audio (yay!). Afterwards, I got a fluent sensation where Japanese sounding words, sentences and thoughts popped up in my mind automatically. My vocab is still weak, but the sounds, melody and word order of the language are beginning to become second nature.

Current plan

More L-R. More more more!

-----------------------------------------------------

Team K - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 06 March 2010 at 5:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version