Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 51
28 January 2010 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
T.A.C. 2010 Team G : Russian Language

Hi, this will be my language log for this year.

I want to learn the Russian language and be able to speak with few mistakes, or at least better than I speak Spanish by the end of 2010.

The reason I want to learn Russian is because I have always been fascinated by Russia, the history, the language and for me there is some kind of mystique about Russia as a whole. I´ve always loved the language.
One of my life goals is to master 6 languages (Dutch, English, French, Spanish, German, Russian). I always thought I would do Russian last, however here where I don´t really know very many German people, and from speaking Dutch I think German will be a lot easier to learn. So I am going with Russian first mostly because my best friends and my girlfriend all speak it and are native speakers mostly from Kazakhstan. I also think that having knowledge of Russian is very beneficial for the future.

So for resources
-The 3 Pimsleur courses I, II, III
-Michel Thomas cds 1 to 8
-Living Language Russian Complete Course - The Basics
-Small French grammar exercise book "Je Parle Russe! niveau : 1 я говорю по-русский"
-7 or 8 close friends to practice with
-Lingq for some revision I suppose
-I still have to download Anki
-The New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners
-Lots of internet resources and forums

I think the best resource is my friends who can help me through whatever being native speakers and hanging out almost everyday will be lots of practice.

I have a fairly tight schedule because I am at university right now taking 5 classes (and in engineering faculty) so classes aren't the easiest. So in that regard my time management might be a bit of a factor at times (studying for mid terms, finals, and what have you). However, in my free time I plan on trying my best to study Russian and improve myself. So I´ll try to update the log as much as I can but I won´t be able to everyday because of studies. I´ll try to keep it once or twice a week at least.

By the end of 2010 I would like to have a basic fluency in this language. The writing aspect is not as important to me as speaking. I want to be able to have conversations with my friends without any confusion. It´s ok if I don´t know certain words but I want to be able to get my point across clearly without any problems and have conversations with them. I would love to be able to do this by August since I´m planning a trip to Kazakhstan and would love to be able to use my Russian there.

I´m not sure what else to add. With studies and what not whenever I have free time I will practice so there´s not really a set schedule per say. Everyday I listen to and review Pimsleur lessons on the bus to class and back. I guess thats at least 1-2 hours per day there. Lately I´ve been practicing too from my Living Language course book at nights before I go to sleep, so roughly 30 mins-90 mins there. I´ll try to keep track of how much time I´m putting in to post this for you guys.

I guess progress so far, well.. I´m on lesson 4/5/6 of Pimsleur II Russian (past few days I´ve been going through these 3 at random reviewing them). Also in Living Language course book I´m on Unit 4 : Everyday life, lesson 12 (out of 40 of book).
I first started Pimsleur lessons last year around October but never kept steady with them and from November to December I listened to maybe 2 or 3 lessons max.

That´s it for now I guess, good luck to everyone. До свидания

Oh, as far as Spanish is concerned.. well I don´t review that much I am at a comfortable level with it that I can speak with my friends without any problems and only at times have to ask how to say a certain word. So maybe in the near future I might review some grammar or Pimsleur III Spanish but I´m not sure. If anyone wants to practice Spanish with me give me a shout. I don´t really plan to update this log with any Spanish though.

Edited by bramsterdam on 28 January 2010 at 7:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachjunge
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6963 days ago

368 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 2 of 51
29 January 2010 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Bonne chance! What do you think of the Pimsleur course? I'm using it too, occasionally. Also, don't worry about Spanish or anything. I'm learning German (actually, as my primary target) and no one else on the team is, so it's really fine. Welcome to Team Gordo and the TAC.

PS If you find any good Russian music, let us know!

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 3 of 51
29 January 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
It's really nice to see your post, Bramsterdam. Man, you seem to be living in the most cosmopolitan environment, like, ever! Do you already know some Russian or are you just starting? You said you were using Pimsleur 2 but "Je parle Russe" 1, so I'm all confused. Anyway, congratulations for already speaking four languages and going for a fifth! (we're definitely not kicking your butt with that)

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 4 of 51
30 January 2010 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
I´ve already gone through Pimsleur 1 but there's not much in there to converse with your friends I find it´s mostly if you just want to get around in a country. Asking directions, where this is, where you are, which street is this, etc. Pimsleur 2 is starting to introduce a lot more everyday stuff.
I already know some basic Russian, maybe quite a bit of basic stuff, but that´s all it is, VERY basic stuff. It´s hard for me right now to hold a convo with a friend unless it´s just really simple stuff. "U tebya yest?", "shto ti siberayesh delat sevodnya", "shto ti dilil chera ve4erom" etc.. So yeah.

Well I guess I might as well update here while I´m at it.

Today I listened/reviewed to roughly 1 hour of Pimsleur 2 lessons 8 and 9. I also started to mark down how much time spent on studying so I can keep a tally or rough tally of how many hours it has been.

Pis ouais avec Je parle Russe 1 ben.. c´ plus ou moins juste pour supplémenter les études et pour augmenter le vocabulaire je trouve c bon pour cela. Mais vraiment la je n´ai pas regarder beaucoup jusqu'à date, j´suis peut-être sur page 18 haha. J´suis plus occupé avec l´autre texte. Ah pis vous habitez en quel région de la France?

Edited by bramsterdam on 30 January 2010 at 8:34am

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 5 of 51
30 January 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
J'habite à St Etienne, ce n'est pas loin de Lyon. Et toi alors, tu as appris le français grâce à ta famille? D'après ce que j'ai compris, ils viennent du Québec?
I think we must be around the same level at Russian. Like you, I like to study on two courses at the same time, having two different explanations helps things stick better. I'm using "Je parle Russe, Niveau 2" and the first semester of the Princeton Russian course which helps me review and go further with the Niveau 1 grammar. It's really good, with a lot of explanations and practice, plus it's mostly audio and completely free! You can find it by googling "Princeton Russian course". I'm telling you because I found it nice being able to add audio and oral practice to the grammar and vocab studies. Sprachjunge told me about it so I guess I'm trying to continue the good team work. Anyway, bonne continuation!

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 6 of 51
31 January 2010 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Ouais la famille de ma mère vient du Québec, le Français c´ effectivement ma langue maternelle.

I already have Princeton Russian course all downloaded on my computer but have only gone through maybe the first few lessons. They´re not really as effective as Pimsleur or my other resources right now so I will keep for later.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 7 of 51
31 January 2010 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, Princeton is pretty slow but extremely thorough, that's why I'm using it for a second run through basics.

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 

Message 8 of 51
06 February 2010 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
I ordered two books off Amazon, The New Penguin Russian Course and a small Essential Russian Grammar book.

I would recommend the New Penguin Russian Course book to everyone learning Russian, so far it has been a great resource.

This week I´ve been listening/reviewing Lessons 8-14 of Pimsleur II. Went a bit through my Living Languages course book and started browsing the new penguin one. Last night practiced a bit with my Kazakh/Russian friends.

I notice when I´m drinking I always get more courage to practice than when if I´m sober I´m usually worried about making mistakes even though that´s part of the process haha. After 2 or 3 beers though I just start thinking of how to say things in Russian and go for it. I´m not sure why it´s like this with Russian because when I was learning Spanish I didn´t care how many mistakes I made I just kept going haha. With Russian I´m more hesitant. Funny how that is.

Anyways though this week it´s been not bad, next week now that I have that Russian book I think it will go better but I might not have as much time with 2 mid terms so we´ll see.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version