Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 49 of 51
23 November 2010 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
Yeah, that's really the only propblem with classes. Studyingwith the Princeton course made me want so bad to be there because there they don't seem to have that problem: you study at home and all of the class time is allotted to checking your knowledge and conversation.
They might actually be a bit too fast . For me, I don't know about you

Edited by joanthemaid on 23 November 2010 at 9:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5268 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 50 of 51
30 December 2010 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Hey, we got tied 2nd place in last year's TAC! Congrats!

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5225 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 51 of 51
04 January 2011 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Hey,

I feel pretty bad about lack of updates, however month of December I was busy everyday with exams. Thankfully I passed all my classes though, German was also my highest mark with 94%.

So to conclude the log well.. My Russian is way better than a year ago that´s for sure. I can have fluent conversations with my friends now, sometimes I need to ask for certain words or I may make a small vocab or grammar mistake with the case systems but they can understand me no problem and I can understand almost evreything they say as well so I´m happy with that.
Traveling to Kazakhstan and having to speak it for 3 weeks straight for sure helped me and boosted me as well.
Last week in Ottawa I was able to go to a Russian store and have conversations with the employees no problem and they understood everything I was asking etc..
I don´t think I´m quite fluent and there´s a lot that I still have to learn, but being able to hold a conversation with my friends is great. This year I´ll try to improve my vocabulary a bit more, or learn more complex words I guess. Plus a bit more grammar as well, Russian is for sure the hardest language I´ve ever studied though.

German from September to December at the university went very well for me and last weekend I saw a friend of mine who is German and was able to have a chat with him in German which was great. This semester I´m going to be taking German again so it will improve even more. Hopefully by 2012 I´ll be speaking it almost fluently because it´s more immersed studying it at school than by myself like with Russian. I don´t know when the last time I opened up one of my Russian books even was, maybe 2 months ago or so I just practice myself speaking with my friends and ask them when I don´t know a word, or how to properly phrase something and it works good.

I guess the only thing was that I wasn´t able to study as much or as hard with Russian because school is my top priority and it´s a bit hard sometimes to get free time, or even sometimes when I have free time I want(ed) to relax rather than occupy myself with Russian stuff. However this semester I should have a bit more free time so I´ll hopefully use that for Russian and German. MAYBE if I´m feeling adventurous I´ll go into Portuguese.

Sooooo... Yeah I guess I´m happy with my progress in Russian, and German was sort of a bonus because I decided to take it last minute at the start of the semester.
I´d say that my Russian is about as good as my Spanish, except my Spanish grammar skill is better than my Russian. As long as it´s not too complex and out of the ordinary then I can understand like with TV shows. But I´m not sure, sometimes I´ll understand 80-100% of a conversation on TV, but other times like only 25-50% it all depends on what the conversation is about (which determines what kind of vocabulary and words are going to be used)..

2012 goals.... improve my German to a higher level so that next summer if I travel there I´ll have no problems. Also to improve my Russian a lot more as well, just make myself clearer I guess with grammar or cases, that comes with practice speaking I guess.

Congrats to everyone who stuck in there and with your improvements.

Edited by bramsterdam on 04 January 2011 at 7:57am

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version