140 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 18 Next >>
Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5332 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 129 of 140
04 December 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
In the same vein there is at least one woman, a self-important union leader, named Wanja, which is the short form of Ivan and hence a male name.

We had a (Finland-Swedish) client named Axel Roos. I thought that was hilarious, but my colleagues didn't seem to get it.
1 person has voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5666 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 130 of 140
03 January 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
There is a Singaporean of Javanese origin with the name of : Batman Bin Suparman

You can google that name and most of them return the image of his IC!

mr_chinnery
England
Joined 5568 days ago

202 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 131 of 140
03 January 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
I read a while ago there was a craze in the far east for naming children after
electronics manufacturers...

"Come on Toshiba, your dinner's ready..."

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 132 of 140
04 January 2011 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
Stupid Americans like to pronounce my name "Sean" as the past participle verb "seen", which
they think is hilarious... and then when I explain to them that "Sean" is more correct than "Shawn" because "Sean"
is the Irish version of the name "John", and "Shawn" is just a phonetic spelling of it, they are dumbfounded. Idiots.

My name should be spelt "Seán", but my parents I don't think you can have diacritics in your name on American
birth certificates, and if you can, my parents were too dumb too spell it right.

Actually it's standard American pronunciation to pronounce it "Shawn". Any American you have met (and I'm
assuming you yourself are American due to your living in the United States, your native language being English,
and having an American birth certificate), who pronounces it that way is just them being stupid...or you're lying
about this situation because I've never, ever, ever heard anyone pronounce Sean as "seen". Saying "stupid
Americans" is insulting in that it generalizes that we are all stupid. I assure you, I am not stupid. Most people
named Sean here spell it Sean...and they pronounce it right. And spelling it with diacritics on an American birth
certificate would actually be quite stupid, as some documents (yes, legal documents), would not show such
accents. Do you wonder why most Hispanic immigrants don't usually keep the accents in their names?

Please...if you're American (which, again, I assume you are because you have an American birth certificate), don't
call your own people idiots. You're, in essence, calling yourself an idiot, and it doesn't make you sound any less
American. I'm not completely happy with living in America myself, but it's where I was born. I hold an American
passport, and I'm sure you do too, and regardless of what you do, you will always be an American.

Edit: Also, this isn't a "hilarious or funny name". Completely unassociated with the topic.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 04 January 2011 at 2:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5495 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 133 of 140
04 January 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
By "stupid Americans" I meant Americans that are stupid, not saying that all are. The ones that pronounce it wrong are when they're making fun of me usually. And no, I'm not stupid, that's why I said it's most likely that diacritics aren't allowed officially in ones name (although on school assignments or whatever it won't matter, since I'm sure your teacher wouldn't mind). I do live in America, I was born here, raised by parents that were born here, who were raised by parents here, and so on for centuries, but I hate most people here and I hate living here, and hate to call myself an American. And no, I do not have a passport, I'm only 17. And hopefully eventually I can move out of this hellhole. :) But yes, in my experience, most Americans are stupid, but you are not.

Quote:
Edit: Also, this isn't a "hilarious or funny name". Completely unassociated with the topic.

It's funny to the people that say it incorrectly to try to insult me, so for them it is. I have Asperger's syndrome, so it's much easier for me to make enemies then it is to make friends, whether I like it or not (and I don't like it).

Edited by sjheiss on 04 January 2011 at 3:00am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 134 of 140
04 January 2011 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
I have Asperger's syndrome, so it's much easier for me to make enemies then it is to make friends, whether I like it or not (and I don't like it).

This may be an explanation, but it isn't an excuse.

One thing is that such language may get you kicked out of HTLAL, but even outside our little garden here it might be practical for you to express your disgust in less derogatory terms. Look at it as a language to be learnt.

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5495 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 135 of 140
04 January 2011 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
What, you don't think I try? I hate being alone all the time, I want to have friends, but it's not that easy for me.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 136 of 140
04 January 2011 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
By "stupid Americans" I meant Americans that are stupid, not saying that all are. The ones that
pronounce it wrong are when they're making fun of me usually. And no, I'm not stupid, that's why I said it's most
likely that diacritics aren't allowed officially in ones name (although on school assignments or whatever it won't
matter, since I'm sure your teacher wouldn't mind). I do live in America, I was born here, raised by parents that
were born here, who were raised by parents here, and so on for centuries, but I hate most people here and I hate
living here, and hate to call myself an American. And no, I do not have a passport, I'm only 17. And hopefully
eventually I can move out of this hellhole. :) But yes, in my experience, most Americans are stupid, but you are
not.

Quote:

It's funny to the people that say it incorrectly to try to insult me, so for them it is. I have Asperger's syndrome, so
it's much easier for me to make enemies then it is to make friends, whether I like it or not (and I don't like it).

Unfortunately expressing your distaste for any country on here isn't allowed as per forum rules. It's unfair to
those who either come from that country or enjoy its existence.

Perhaps not using insulting language would help with avoiding the making of enemies. This forum is actually
quite helpful and nice, however you can't be offensive, or (as Iversen said), you will be banned, and unfortunately
that means you can't use this really useful tool that we know and love as HTLAL.

A leaner of any language (and especially Basque) is warmly welcomed on this forum. But being offensive is not
okay.

sjheiss wrote:
What, you don't think I try? I hate being alone all the time, I want to have friends, but it's not
that easy for me.

I of all people would appreciate your effort to interact here on this forum. I know people who have Asperger's, so
I completely understand where you are coming from. Just being mindful of people's feeling's goes a long way.

Learning languages is about communication and intellectual stimulation, so instead of baring your opinions
about a country, you should discuss instead your experiences, efforts, and knowledge on LANGUAGE.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 04 January 2011 at 4:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 140 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version