orion
United States
Joined 6832 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 33 of 140
29 December 2006 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
There was a Chinese guy in the building where I used to work whose name was Longlong Wang.It used to cause some raised eyebrows amongst visitors who saw it on the building directory in the lobby!
1 person has voted this message useful

cameroncrc
Diglot
United States
Joined 6328 days ago

195 posts - 185 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 34 of 140
29 March 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
We did a play in 6th grade that was about Germany. We gave the people silly names like "Longshnoz" and "Olga Fettshweinefleish"

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6265 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 35 of 140
29 March 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
In Italy there's some poor guy named Massimo Piacere (translates as Maximus Pleasure..) :D I wonder what women think of him... ;)

There are also:

James Bondi
Felice Mastronzo (felice ma stronzo = happy but an a**hole..)
Felice Finocchio ('happy faggot')
Adolf Reich
Massimo della Pena ('Maximus Punishment', and the guy is a lawyer! :p)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 140
12 April 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
.. or what about the German politician who has to live with the name "Teufel" (Devil)?

echoes
Triglot
Puerto Rico
Joined 6509 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Spanish, German, English*

Message 37 of 140
27 April 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
The news channel CNN en español has an Israel correspondent named José Levy. The name isn't anything weird or anything, but you take a very very common Spanish first name and a very very common Jewish surname and for some reason the combination cracks me up.

Vinchy
Triglot
Norway
Joined 6182 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Hindi

Message 38 of 140
24 June 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
In Norway we have the male first name Odd which is quite common, and female names such as Gunn and Randi.
Some names look quite funny on paper, but are pronounced differently, f.ex. the male name Roar, pronounced Rou-ar.

My fathers name is Per, which is pronounced just about the same way as the French word for father (pére). I found this amusing when I was living i France because I could say that my fathers name was 'father' ("mon pére s'appelle pére")

agimcomas
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 6270 days ago

69 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Portuguese, German
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 39 of 140
24 June 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
In Spain, where people have double sirnames formed by the father's sirname and the mother's, sometimes people are called Rodríguez-Rodríguez, or González-González. It is quite funny.

The italian sirname "Saputo" sounds very funny in Spanish. I also knew a real-state agency called "Peduto" (which is a sirname). My mother was born in a town called LanĂşs, which in french would be read the sames as "l'anus" (the anus).

I had a maths teacher in primary school who would give funny names to the characters he invented while dictating a problem for us to resolve. He would say things like "Pedro Gado" (drogado= drugged/high) or ""Matias Queroso" (asqueroso=disgusting) has 3 apples and 2 oranges.... In the class was also a boy whose sirname is Tyrakis ("little cheese" in greek).

Edited by agimcomas on 24 June 2007 at 4:55pm

HTale
Bilingual Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6189 days ago

164 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)*
Studies: French

Message 40 of 140
25 June 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Our mathematics supervisor at university went by the name of "My Long Tham" (actual spelling, I kid you not). You can guess the jokes that followed...

This discussion contains 140 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version