United States
Joined 5562 days ago

65 posts - 111 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 25 of 57
12 March 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
CIA (specifically the Directorate of Operations) by a mile

Despite their negative reputation, it's still an awesome job. It's not as exciting as the movies but you DO get to travel the world (good places and bad), directly or indirectly stop terrorists and nuclear proliferation, and you'll learn at least 2 or 3 languages to fluency before you retire. And all on Uncle Sams dime.

What could possibly be a better job?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6399 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 26 of 57
12 March 2010 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
JasonBourne wrote:
CIA (specifically the Directorate of Operations) by a mile [...] What could possibly be a better job?

I can think of a number of reasons why it would not be a great job. To name just a couple:

1. One has to share in the ideas held by the powers that be and inherited by the office of the CIA director of ops about what the proverbial greater good is. It'll be extremely difficult and, in fact, most likely impossible to perform this job (think of all the polygraph testing one has to undergo before getting the position), if your ideas of the greater good were clashing with what you had to do for work on the regular basis.

2. If one holds any citizenship in addition to the U.S. citizenship, one would be forced to renounce it along with allegiance to any other nation or state in order to qualify for the job. The thought that in doing so one is preparing for a situation where one will act with an intent to harm their other homeland can easily be morally unacceptable to a person, no matter how many languages one can learn on the job.

1 person has voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5232 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 57
13 March 2010 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
JasonBourne wrote:
CIA (specifically the Directorate of Operations) by a mile

Despite their negative reputation, it's still an awesome job. It's not as exciting as the movies but you DO get to travel the world (good places and bad), directly or indirectly stop terrorists and nuclear proliferation, and you'll learn at least 2 or 3 languages to fluency before you retire. And all on Uncle Sams dime.

What could possibly be a better job?
I'd love to do that except for the fact that I'd have to lie to family. I wouldn't mind telling others that I'm a something other than what I really was, but it would feel odd doing that to someone really close to me.

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5551 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 28 of 57
13 March 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Foreign language skills all by themselves will get you nothing except maybe non-technical translation work.

Realistically?

1. Get a skill or profession, like engineer, medical, technical
2. Focus your job applications on companies with international business (although it's no small matter to get a job anywhere these days).
3. Take a low level job if necessary to get your foot in the door.
4. And then wait, work hard, and position yourself to move. If you have any influence on your career path, try to pick projects to work on with international connections.

It takes hard work and motivation, like anything else. I don't know about anybody else, but after 5 years of Spanish the CIA wasn't exactly beating down my door to get me to apply. :)

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5850 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 29 of 57
17 March 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Sales manager or team quite a few in my company speak German or French and tend to travel to other countries alot to meet customers.

starst
Triglot
China
Joined 5324 days ago

113 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchC1, German, Norwegian

Message 30 of 57
18 March 2010 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Hobbema wrote:
Foreign language skills all by themselves will get you nothing except maybe non-technical translation work.

Realistically?

1. Get a skill or profession, like engineer, medical, technical
2. Focus your job applications on companies with international business (although it's no small matter to get a job anywhere these days).
3. Take a low level job if necessary to get your foot in the door.
4. And then wait, work hard, and position yourself to move. If you have any influence on your career path, try to pick projects to work on with international connections.

It takes hard work and motivation, like anything else. I don't know about anybody else, but after 5 years of Spanish the CIA wasn't exactly beating down my door to get me to apply. :)

As someone who has a strong technical background and currently works in a big international company, my personal experience is that positions such as marketing, sales, consulting etc, can lead you to so-called "international" environment more easily than pure technical positions such as engineer. After recent economy crisis, our company prefers that engineers do the communications via video conference. There is almost no chance for below-manager level technical engineers to go abroad on business.

Edited by starst on 23 March 2010 at 6:01am

crackpot
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6111 days ago

144 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 31 of 57
19 March 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Canadian ambassador to the EU.

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5551 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 32 of 57
20 March 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
starst wrote:

As someone who has a strong technical background and currently work in a big international company, my personal experience is that positions such as marketing, sales, consulting etc, can lead you to so-called "international" environment more easily than pure technical positions such as engineer. After recent economy crisis, our company prefers that engineers do the communications via video conference. There is almost no chance for below-manager level technical engineers to go abroad on business.

That's a good point. I think what you describe is probably more frequently the case. What's sometimes frustrating (I say this as a technical person) is that the sales and manager types who are able to take international trips are sometimes incapable of providing the technical details and expertise that maybe a lower level person would be.

I say this having been the victim of more than one "talking suit" who made promises his engineers couldn't keep....

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version