Diglot
Norway
Joined 5395 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 49 of 57
20 June 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Getting payed to travel and learn languages. Which I am already doing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tally
Bilingual Diglot
Israel
Joined 5418 days ago

135 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: French

Message 50 of 57
20 June 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
justberta wrote:

How? Tell me now! :0 :P

iamrobertyee
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Philippines
Joined 5104 days ago

48 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog*, Cebuano*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin

Message 51 of 57
26 June 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
I also would want to know..:))

Tally wrote:
justberta wrote:

How? Tell me now! :0 :P

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5229 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 52 of 57
26 June 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Just working in the tourism area, mostly in hotels or hostels...personally I prefer the second ones because I'd practice more and more my target languages with backpackers from many parts of the world.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 53 of 57
27 June 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
All my jobs have demanded language skills, but none of them have been particularly glamorous. When I was a student, I worked as a guide. I loved the job, because even if the pay was moderate, you learned so much by interacting with native speakers several hours every day, and at the end of each tour you get a round of applause, and money directly in your hand as a token of their appreciation.

My next job was as a language teacher, which I also loved, as I had a call for teaching, being third generation teacher. Being able to pass on some of your love for languages to young kids was awsome, and to do things like
- playing Trivial Pursuit in class
- bringing in a drop dead gorgeous Hungarian friend of mine who was fluent in English to a class where 27 of 30 students where girls, so they could practise their English
- bringing a few of my students on a field trip to Spain, where I brought them to stay with my Spanish family
- invite the pupils home and make tortilla de patatas together while they learned the relevant vocabulary in Spanish
felt great.

I now work as head of the International section of a large company, which is not as personally satisfying as my previous jobs, but which gives me the opportunity to speak and write in English daily, and which lets me speak my other languages at regular intervals. It also provides me with the opportunity to go several times every year to Brussels and Paris, and has lead me to England, Poland, Luxembourg, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, The Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Finland, Ireland and will hopefully this autumn bring me to Romania.

They have also payed for tutoring in German, French and Russian, a two weeks German course in Munich, a three months' stay in Brussels at the EU-commission and I am to go on a two weeks' Russian course to Ukraine in August. All in all, not bad perks :)
-
3 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6039 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 54 of 57
27 June 2010 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
mcjon77 wrote:
Here is my polyglot pick for coolest job around.
United States Army Special Forces
Solder (AKA the "green berets").

Every Special Forces soldier MUST speak at least 1 foreign language. Several speak 2 or 3. As part of the training
process, any recruit that does not already speak a foreign language (or perhaps wants to pick up an additional one)
receives several months of full-time intensive language training. To my knowledge, other than the Defense
Language Institute (DLI) in Monterrey and it's satellite campus in DC, the JFK Special Warfare Center (where special
forces soldiers are trained) has the only full-time, permanent foreign language school in the military

To even be considered for Green Beret training one needs to be a male, US citizen between 20 and 30.   Is there an
equivalent for " old guys" ( over 40 ) or women??

johntm93
United States
Joined 5137 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 55 of 57
28 June 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
mcjon77 wrote:
United States Army Special Forces

Every Special Forces soldier MUST speak at least 1 foreign language. Several speak 2 or 3. As part of the training
process, any recruit that does not already speak a foreign language (or perhaps wants to pick up an additional one)
receives several months of full-time intensive language training. To my knowledge, other than the Defense
Language Institute (DLI) in Monterrey and it's satellite campus in DC, the JFK Special Warfare Center (where special
forces soldiers are trained) has the only full-time, permanent foreign language school in the military

To even be considered for Green Beret training one needs to be a male, US citizen between 20 and 30.   Is there an
I doubt it. Why would they create a whole special forces for those groups? It's not like women and middle aged men are breaking down doors to be special forces.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6039 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 56 of 57
28 June 2010 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
liddytime wrote:
mcjon77 wrote:
United States Army Special
Forces

Every Special Forces soldier MUST speak at least 1 foreign language. Several speak 2 or 3. As part of the
training
process, any recruit that does not already speak a foreign language (or perhaps wants to pick up an additional
one)
Language Institute (DLI) in Monterrey and it's satellite campus in DC, the JFK Special Warfare Center (where
special

To even be considered for Green Beret training one needs to be a male, US citizen between 20 and 30.   Is there
an
I doubt it. Why would they create a whole special
forces for those groups? It's not like women and middle aged men are breaking down doors to be special forces.
   HA ha ha ha!!   Point well taken.....

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version