Japan
Joined 6887 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 41 of 57
08 April 2010 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
mattvdm wrote:
Maybe not the craziest, but I find it amazing to see those teaching humanities subjects in a second-language.

If that's not the ultimate level of skill, what is?

My dream job and what I'm working towards... give me another 10 years and Seoul National won't seem so far away ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

horshod
Pentaglot
Groupie
India
Joined 5580 days ago

74 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Marathi*, Bengali, Gujarati, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Turkish

Message 42 of 57
06 June 2010 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
Lab rat for scientists testing language learning abilities and methods.
Meaning, some psycholinguists would take a bunch of people who want to learn languages, pay them to learn them and then analyse the results.
(could get boring in the long run but if all you want is to learn as many languages as possible, then wouldn't that be a dream job? And it could of course include conversation with native speakers and travelling, provided the method tested at any given time included that)

That would be awesome!!

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5638 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 43 of 57
06 June 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
nescafe wrote:
CIA, or US military agent.

My grandma is fluent in English, German, and Russian, and she was one of the first female agents in the CIA.
She worked as a spy in Austria during the cold war. She used to tell me stories when I was a kid about how she
had to learn to drive in two weeks in order to get the job and how she had a purse with a camera hidden in it
that she used to take covert pictures. She also used to complain about how Austrians would snub her because
she was speaking "German, not Austrian" and would claim they couldn't understand her even when they clearly
could!
She eventually left the CIA due to political disagreement with the direction the agency was going.

She also has a close friend who has worked as a UN translator most of his life and is fluent in five or six
languages.

I have no interest in working for the government, and simultaneous interpretation scares the heck out of me, so
neither of these jobs would be my ideal polyglot job; but these people in my life inspire me anyway to become as
fluent as possible and pursue my dream of using my languages for my job every day!
I'll probably start as a translator but I want to write travel books, and use my languages to explore each place I
write about.
2 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5665 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 44 of 57
08 June 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Did anyone here mentioned this: FSB (formerly know as the KGB) agent

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5766 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 45 of 57
11 June 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Greatest job for polyglots?    Either:

1. International jewel thief; or
2. Autocractic and heavy-handed World Dictator.

Absolutely worst job for a polyglot:   Mime.

Edited by Spanky on 11 June 2010 at 1:26am

7 persons have voted this message useful

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6421 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 46 of 57
14 June 2010 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Here is my polyglot pick for coolest job around.
United States Army Special Forces Solder (AKA the "green berets").

Every Special Forces soldier MUST speak at least 1 foreign language. Several speak 2 or 3. As part of the training process, any recruit that does not already speak a foreign language (or perhaps wants to pick up an additional one) receives several months of full-time intensive language training. To my knowledge, other than the Defense Language Institute (DLI) in Monterrey and it's satellite campus in DC, the JFK Special Warfare Center (where special forces soldiers are trained) has the only full-time, permanent foreign language school in the military.
Current Language they teach at the School include:
Spanish
French
Russian
Tagalog
Thai
Indonesian
Persian/Farsi
Chinese
Korean
Arabic

Their primary missions (what sets them apart from other American spec ops units) are unconventional warfare and foreign internal defense. Unconventional warfare is training rebels in a country to help them overthrow their government. Foreign Internal Defense is training a government to help them defeat rebels. Army Special Forces are divided into numbered groups (like regiments). Each group has a certain part of the world as its area of responsibility, where they do most of their operations.
1st group covers Asia
3rd Group covers Africa
5th Group covers the Mid-East
7th Group covers Latin America and the Caribbean
10th Group covers North Africa

So, if you are in 1st group, there are opportunities to deploy to the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, South Korea, Malaysia, etc, and help train the military in those countries. Currently, Special Forces are deployed in over 70 countries around the world. It is not uncommon for an SF soldier to have been deployed to 20+ countries in his career. It is also not uncommon for a soldier to switch groups one or more times during his career. So, if you are tired of seeing all of Asia with 1st group, you might switch to 10th group and check out Europe.

Edited by mcjon77 on 14 June 2010 at 5:58am

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5443 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 47 of 57
16 June 2010 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I worked as a youth hostel receptionist. It was the most fun ever :D They hired me because of my language skills. Obviously (as mentioned before) anything in the tourist industry works, but youth hostels are special places :) I still remember the huge grin of relief from exhausted tourists from Spain on arrival when hearing that I spoke Spanish :)

Although as far as "cool" goes, it has the one drawback that it was the worst paid job I ever had :P

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6039 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 48 of 57
17 June 2010 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
My "day-job" is being a physician.

I can't tell you how many times I've used my language skills to break the ice with non-English speaking patients
and soothe them. Several places I have worked have had large numbers of immigrants and or refugees. Nothing could be
more frightening than being sick or injured in a country where one can't communicate. Having a physician smile and say
even a few words in a patient's native tongue, puts that patient at ease, and that physician in far greater esteem than the
countless other physicians who simply scream louder in English or simply demand an interpreter.

Once I struck up a very basic Hindi conversation with a Hindi-speaking patient, and for the rest of the afternoon
the patient's family followed me around calling me " Dr. Hindi-Walla". It was awesome!

Equally helpful is not having to call in the Spanish or Portuguese interpreter at 2AM. ( or any other time for that
matter) It is truly amazing how few US doctors have second language skills! .... Must have been all that time
studying in Bio-Lab.

My true love, and the area where language skills come most in handy is in International Medicine. The
opportunities abound for well trained physicians to volunteer in just about every developing, non-English speaking
country in the world. I don't get paid a cent for it, but the work is amazing. Again, most volunteers do little to
understand the language or culture of the people they are helping. They rely on the translators and go home learning only
a few words. If there is one area where speaking a language opens up doors, this is it! I can't tell you how many times I
have been invited to peoples homes, taken on free excursions, etc., etc. because I simply spoke their language.

Don't be a CIA agent. Be a volunteer. If you still think you want to do the CIA, read Blowing My Cover: My Life
as a CIA Spy
by Lindsay Moran. She does an excellent job at illustrating how awful it is to work undercover and how
badly the CIA takes advantage of desperate people!

Edited by liddytime on 17 June 2010 at 3:38am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version