Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 273 of 360
10 January 2014 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
I think it's worth noting that the rules regarding capitalization after a colon
differ between British and American English.

I should have pointed out that I can only reasonably comment on BrE. A good proportion of my reading
has been authored by Americans, although the UK publishers may well tweak the manuscripts to fit
their particular house style.

geoffw wrote:
Using nr to abbreviate number is fine to me, and something I would do.

I don't remember seeing it before (and over half of the internally written specifications at work
are produced by people living in California - although a number of them are not of American
descent).

geoffw wrote:
Using nr to abbreviate number is fine to me, and something I would do. And every
dictionary I have says that "foresee" is correct and "forsee" is not. Saying "I don't
foresee" rather than "I'm not foreseeing" is probably better prose, but the latter is
more what I would say in colloquial speech, so that could be a UK/US preference thing. I use a lot
of progressive tenses in my speech.

My fingers meant "foresee" but slipped and my brain failed to proofread adequately. My dictionary
does have "forsee" although it's marked as Obsolete and hasn't been seen since ~1300 :-)

Emme wrote:
Funny, because when I see “nr” in Italian I always think it’s an Anglicism.

I can find sample abbreviations in oed.com but I cannot find that one. If it's in common use in the
US then I'd probably withdraw my objection.

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 274 of 360
10 January 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

geoffw wrote:
Using nr to abbreviate number is fine to me, and something I would do.

I don't remember seeing it before (and over half of the internally written specifications at work
are produced by people living in California - although a number of them are not of American
descent).
Emme wrote:
Funny, because when I see “nr” in Italian I always think it’s an Anglicism.

I can find sample abbreviations in oed.com but I cannot find that one. If it's in common use in the
US then I'd probably withdraw my objection.

I actually don't know if it's in common use in the US, just that *I* occasionally use it in the US. The most common
"official" abbreviation is "No." and the # sign is used in many contexts. I would probably only use one of those in
any formal documents or something for publication. Writing "nr" is more like what I'd use in personal notes, and I
have no idea where I may have seen it before.

For all I know, it's something I picked up in Germany.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 275 of 360
13 January 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
[...] For all I know, it's something I picked up in Germany.

Great catch, geoffw!

After reading your observations I got curious to see where the “nr” I wrote might have come from. And guess what? Nr. is the abbreviation for “number” in German, according to my Duden Deutsches Universal Wörterbuch. So, like you, I probably picked it up learning German.

Just to make sure, I also checked my Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary and the only nr you can find there is defined as “a written abbreviation for ‘near’; used especially as part of an address”.

See also: wikipedia

EDIT: added link.

Edited by Emme on 13 January 2014 at 11:58pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 276 of 360
14 January 2014 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your efforts Emme. I love Italy, and that's an understatement.
If you don't mind, which city do you live in?

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5637 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 277 of 360
14 January 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
geoffw wrote:
[...] For all I know, it's something I picked up in Germany.

Great catch, geoffw!

After reading your observations I got curious to see where the “nr” I wrote might have come from. And guess what? Nr. is the abbreviation for “number” in German, according to my Duden Deutsches Universal Wörterbuch. So, like you, I probably picked it up learning German.

Just to make sure, I also checked my Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary and the only nr you can find there is defined as “a written abbreviation for ‘near’; used especially as part of an address”.

See also: wikipedia

EDIT: added link.

Ihr habt beide Recht, geoff und Emme! "Nr." ist die gebräuchliche deutsche Abkürzung für das Wort "Nummer" und wird sehr häufig benutzt, vor allem auch als Abkürzung in Tabellen. Ich benutze "nr." klein geschrieben auch auf Niederländisch. Ich wusste gar nicht, dass diese Abkürzung auf Englisch nicht verwendet wird.

Fasulye

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 278 of 360
20 January 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
@renaissancemedi
I’ve PMed you.

@Fasulye
Danke für die Bestätigung unserer Theorie!

---

The first three weeks of 2014 have flown pretty fast and I can’t believe there’s already a thread for February’s 6wc, but that means it’s time I planned for my first 6wc in Spanish.

I’m currently going through the first chapter in all the Spanish textbooks I can lay my hands on.

Please, don’t think that this goal is too extravagant. I just want to see how the textbooks are structured and which one suits me best. I don’t want to repeat with Spanish the same mistake I made with French. When I was studying French, I “only” did Assimil. I believe Assimil has a lot of qualities, but encouraging the learner to start using the language more actively and with a certain freedom is not one of them. The result is that I have pretty good passive skills in French, but I feel absolutely at a loss if I have to speak or write it.

That’s why I intend to accompany Assimil Spanish with a more traditional textbook. But I haven’t decided which one yet. I own a couple and there are a few in my local library which I’ve borrowed so I can work through the first chapter in each. This shouldn’t take up too much time as first chapters usually deal with pretty easy things and once I’ve done it I’ll be in a much better position to choose the textbook that has the right “vibe” and that I want to use for the rest of the year.

---

In other news: I’m still catching up with all my teammates’ logs. As I’m on four teams they are really numerous and it will take me some time to be perfectly up-to-date with everybody. But I promise I’ll read everything. Just be patient with me knowing that I will need a few more days/weeks. I know that the natural drop-out rate will makes things easier for TACers down the line, but January is always pretty intense!

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4005 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 279 of 360
21 January 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if you're already aware of the Teach Yourself series, but I've used it for
German for a couple of months in the past and I've liked it a lot. It focuses on grammar
explanations much more than Assimil does, and although the usefulness of this aspect is
debatable it provides articles from newspapers and different kind of conversations
(which range from the colloquial ones to the very most formal ones).
You can then translate these articles and dialoges and post them on lang-8.You can get
articles from this website as well.

As far as actually using the language is concerned, what I do is, since I like playing
online videogames, joining communities based on the languages I'm learning. But there
are other good alternatives that you are very probably already aware of, such as Skype
partners and sharedtalk.com
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4147 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 280 of 360
28 January 2014 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
4 teams? You're crazy Emme ;)

I was just browsing some of the Asgård member logs and found this link on Mareike's log:
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/gruppsida.aspx?programid=4457&g rupp=19183

I gave it a listen and it's great to train your listening skills with. Give it a try :)

Hope all is good with the studies!

Hej då!

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version