United States
Joined 4412 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 297 of 360
28 May 2014 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:

From a practical point of view, I’m still trying to figure out how to keep track of what I do in the most efficient way possible: the problem is compounded by the fact that I’m twitting for the 6wc almost daily with the time spent on each activity, whereas I plan to log only completed books and films/TV series for the Super Challenge. I’m currently juggling three files with different lists hoping to keep track of everything, but right now I can’t wait for the 6wc to be over so I don’t have to bother with it. Probably I won’t sign up again in August unless the urge to “study in earnest” strikes me before then and the 6wc becomes meaningful for me again.

I'm having the same trouble as you are: keeping track/tweeting things for the 6WC while trying to put just completed things on the SC...it's not easy. I had never done a 6WC before and even though you're supposed to focus primarily on just one language, that isn't practical if you're doing a SC in three of them!
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3934 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 298 of 360
28 May 2014 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
I can't wait for the 6WC to be over either. i think that I'm a one challenge kind of girl! After this one, I don't think I'll
be signing up for any more. Ill just stick to the Super Challenge.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 299 of 360
28 May 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Well, there is nothing wrong about having periods of lower activity on the forums. I
can't remember any such negative threads but I am more busy and less interested in some
topics these days. :-) I'm glad you have time and mood for your log!

I agree about the tv series. I am not such an art film fan to complain about some aspects
of the matter but I feel like the tv series makers are much better at pacing a story
these days. They can afford to go into details (which is better for book series
adaptations), to have more and less "full" episodes, they can afford to reveal things
gradually. Movie makers often appear to have lost this race. They even take the worse
aspects of tv series for their movies (such as all the horrible 3rd or 4th sequels). And
it is probably harder to put everything into 100 minutes or so.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 300 of 360
02 June 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
@BAnna and @Stelle
Thank goodness I’m not alone. It’s encouraging to know that I’m not the only one having trouble juggling two challenges at the same time!

@Cavesa
I’ve been following your log for the past year at least, and I’ve read how beneficial you find watching TV-series in your TLs.

The only problem here in Italy is that the availability of the original audio track for TV-series is a little hit-and-miss. There are several series I’d love to watch in the original (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Good Wife to name just a few) but at the moment the channels that broadcast them don’t offer that option, which for me is really a missed opportunity! :-(

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4005 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 301 of 360
21 June 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:

The only problem here in Italy is that the availability of the original audio track for
TV-series is a little hit-and-miss. There are several series I’d love to watch in the
original (Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Good Wife to name just a few) but at
the moment the channels that broadcast them don’t offer that option, which for me is
really a missed opportunity! :-(

You do know there are other ways to watch those, right? *wink wink*

Edited by Sarnek on 21 June 2014 at 10:40am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 302 of 360
21 June 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Sarnek wrote:
[...] You do know there are other ways to watch those, right? *wink wink*

Of course I know! :-)
But I try to make do with what is legally available. Does that make me sound like I belong to another (older) generation?

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4005 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 303 of 360
21 June 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Sarnek wrote:
[...] You do know there are other ways to watch
those, right?
*wink wink*

Of course I know! :-)
But I try to make do with what is legally available. Does that make me sound like I
belong to
another (older) generation?

No, but since there's no other way around it, you shouldn't feel morally guilty. And
frankly said,
the translated versions suck, so I'd watch them in the original either way.

They even tried to bring Netflix in Italy, but obviously entertainment industries are
too powerful
and so they have prevented it, trying to make one of their own instead, so there's now
a half-wit
twin version of it, with zero films or series of interest whatsoever.

Edited by Sarnek on 21 June 2014 at 3:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 304 of 360
30 June 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
So, another month is over. Time for an update.

I’m pretty satisfied with the Super Challenge so far. At the moment I’ve accumulated these credits:

English Book Units: 47.5
English Film Units: 40.9
German Book Units: 12.1
German Film Units: 37.6

As expected the English challenge is going much better than the German one. Actually, it’s only in the reading part of the latter that I’m struggling, even though I realize that the word “struggling” is probably a bit strong for what’s happening. The truth is that I’m enjoying the English novels I’ve been reading so much that I find it difficult to make time for their German counterpart.

Anyway, I’ve dedicated the past couple of days to finishing my Donna Leon novel of the month, so that more or less I’m on track with the “book units” required. I’ve calculated that to read the 5,000 pages of the Super Challenge one regular-sized novel (250-300 pages) a month is enough. And whereas it seems feasible to aim for a double challenge in English from the beginning, I’m still proceeding with German with caution: first I have to complete the Super Challenge and only then decide if I can do more. In any case, reading twenty novels in German in twenty months is an achievement for me and if I can do only that and nothing more, it’s still something I can be proud of.

Turning to the English part, I’ve noticed that my reading consists only of novels. Nothing wrong with that, but I should probably try to explore other genres like short fiction and non-fiction. And if short stories don’t belong to the Super Challenge as envisioned by Cristina, who’s pushing us all to tackle extensive reading of entire books, and would therefore be better postponed to a later time, I think I could start reading some non-fiction. In particular, I think I should read some (auto-)biographies and popular science books in fields that I may find interesting but about which I know little. I’ll have a look in my local library to see if I can borrow something that piques my curiosity.

Finally, June was also the month when the May 6wc finished. My performance was really dismal: I finished 30th with only 1,001 minutes of Spanish logged. That means an average of just over an hour twice a week, which is pretty ridiculous as efforts go. On the other hand and to my utmost surprise, I found myself in 2nd place behind the indefatigable Serpent in the overall ranking of all languages studied with 13,548 minutes.

However, I’ve decided I won’t take part in the coming 6wcs until I go back to real, actual, intensive study. The hassle with timing and Tweeting is just not worth it when in reality I’m not studying.

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version