Joined 5217 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 9 of 59
11 June 2010 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
Interesting point, Jeff.

So you're saying L-R would be useful, but that is just too hard or requires too
much effort for the average person to be considered an established favourite method.
Now, I'd like everyone who participates in this thread to try and think not so much of
the average person, but rather of someone who would be ready to undergo whatever activity
is required from him.

What if the person were to spend the entire 120 hours all in one go with no breaks in
between (only with the exception of sleeping and eating)?
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6229 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 59
11 June 2010 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
LangOfChildren wrote:
Volte, I'm glad you're saying that. :)

I was actually thinking that myself, but needed someone else's oppinion.
So I guess what you're saying is that all of the 120 hours should be spent L-R'ing?

Supposedly 50 hours of L-R can be enough to reach natural listening and thus basic fluency.

If you need someone else's opinion, that's a bit of a counter-indication. Natural listening in Polish took me more like 80 hours, but I did it in several semi-intensive sessions rather than properly. I didn't pursue it farther or develop speaking ability (which is supposed to take perhaps another 20 hours - I haven't bothered with that, for better or worse).

I am not a model student, by any means. Atamagaii calls me a butterfly (I switch between language projects far too frequently) and s/he is right.
datsunking1 wrote:
LangOfChildren wrote:
Volte, I'm glad you're saying that. :)

I was actually thinking that myself, but needed someone else's oppinion.
So I guess what you're saying is that all of the 120 hours should be spent L-R'ing?

Supposedly 50 hours of L-R can be enough to reach natural listening and thus basic fluency.

That's it? maybe thats why my listening skills are horrible :(

How intensively have you worked? With what materials? Atamagaii once indicated that under two hours a day is basically pointless with L-R; that roughly matches my experience. That number is for closely related languages; for slightly more distant ones (say, a first Slavic language for an English speaker), I regress if I drop to that intensity before hitting natural listening.

magictom123 wrote:
being unemployed at the mo I have a lot of free time and would like to know if indeed
anyone has had the success of reaching basic fluency from scratch using the l-r method
only.

volte, have you done this? I spent a long time reading through the old thread and I saw
that you were an advocate of this technique and had at least begun to use it
extensively. I'm guessing since above you mention it you had a good experience with
the language but could you please expand a bit more on what you did over a certain
timeframe and your level of progression. Please note, I am not cynical in any way - I
would just like to know if it is something I could feasibly do.

Outside of L-R, I would do MT (both courses - not the vocab courses though) and then
start assimil (maybe with some crossover if you like). As I start assimil I would
begin to watch TV online in the target language (dvd's too if I could afford them or
knew where to get them for free).

People here seem such champions of assimil although there are many people here too who
like FSI. Having looked at FSI it is not something I could stomach, regardless of the
results. I hope to learn languages for practical reasons but the journey has to be
fun. The same could be said for pimsleur as it is boring.

I've reached natural listening for Polish, and have lost it through two years of disuse. I haven't reached basic fluency. The L-R roundup thread has various logs; no one else has either.

It is extremely demanding; after a few days of L-R, I'm exhausted. At heart, I'm a computer geek; I can work with the required level of intensity on, say, learning a new programming language. I have not been able to maintain the level of enthusiasm and passion necessary to work this intensively with languages.

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I have dabbled a bit with L-R, not really from scratch though. It has felt most beneficial in Spanish, but I already have some experience in that language. I think that some of the explanations why people are skeptical to the method is that:
1 they don't think it's possible
2 they don't want to spend a lot of time (especially not on the same activity)

Not that ~50 (even 120) hours is "a lot of time"...

Even if the method guaranteed "native fluency" after, say, a couple of hundred hours, I'm pretty sure that nobody but the most avid polyglots would even try.

It feels like a lot of time if you're trying to do it in a few days.

LangOfChildren wrote:
Interesting point, Jeff.

So you're saying L-R would be useful, but that is just too hard or requires too
much effort for the average person to be considered an established favourite method.
Now, I'd like everyone who participates in this thread to try and think not so much of
the average person, but rather of someone who would be ready to undergo whatever activity
is required from him.

What if the person were to spend the entire 120 hours all in one go with no breaks in
between (only with the exception of sleeping and eating)?

That is what atamagaii strongly recommends. It is far more difficult than it sounds, unless you become deeply engrossed in the stories.

Good luck.

2 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5375 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 11 of 59
11 June 2010 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Volte- I wouldn't say any of my work is "intense" I never have the opportunity to find a book with an accompanying audiobook. I listen to just audio books sometimes, and I can feel things clicking and all of that. I've done L-R with songs and lyrics though. Should I set aside a time greater than two hours for L-R?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6229 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 12 of 59
11 June 2010 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Volte- I wouldn't say any of my work is "intense" I never have the opportunity to find a book with an accompanying audiobook.

Spanish parallel texts and audiobooks. See also the L-R roundup thread's resources section - it's the only link in my first post in this thread.

datsunking1 wrote:

I listen to just audio books sometimes, and I can feel things clicking and all of that.

That's a nice thing to do, and I do it as well. It's also remarkably inefficient in comparison.

datsunking1 wrote:

I've done L-R with songs and lyrics though.

That's not L-R. For it to be L-R, it needs to be done intensively, with long texts: not short stories, and definitely not songs. I like listening to songs while reading the lyrics (in English, the original language, or both), but this too is way less efficient.

datsunking1 wrote:

Should I set aside a time greater than two hours for L-R?

Only you can answer that. If you want to do L-R, yes; if it's not a method that appeals to you, no - there are many other ways of learning languages under the sun.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5271 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 13 of 59
11 June 2010 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
I really really really really want to take a few days this summer and just do L-R for like 10 hours a day or something
crazy like that, JUST to see if it works. I'd probably do it with Russian, and possibly a little with German to do some
improvement. I know this has probably been asked before, but how long should the material be for one cycle
(listening, reading, speaking, translating, etc.). A couple of pages from a book per cycle? Or did Atamagaii suggest
doing a whole book in one sitting.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6229 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 14 of 59
11 June 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
I really really really really want to take a few days this summer and just do L-R for like 10 hours a day or something
crazy like that, JUST to see if it works. I'd probably do it with Russian, and possibly a little with German to do some
improvement. I know this has probably been asked before, but how long should the material be for one cycle
(listening, reading, speaking, translating, etc.). A couple of pages from a book per cycle? Or did Atamagaii suggest

I strongly recommend reading about the most important parts of L-R. It is not compatible with the idea of exercising all 4 language abilities at once.

The core of L-R is the "incubation phase", where you listen to audio in the target language, intensively; this audio is made more comprehensible by a variety of means - usually parallel texts. This is why it helps to read the text ahead of time in your native language, why parallel texts help, why pop-up dictionaries help, why interlinear word-by-word translations help (especially during the first few hours, for remote languages) if available, etc. Listening to audio with no idea of the content ahead of time is not L-R, and is remarkably inefficient.

You do not speak or write or translate during this phase. Atamagaii also claims that if you care about accent, you should not read without audio in this phase; I haven't conclusively demonstrated this to my own satisfaction, but my minor personal experimentation does point to this being true. All of this waits until after hitting natural listening; if you care about accent, it's worth working on it before reading/writing/translating/speaking too, but AFTER hitting natural listening. Acquiring a decent accent is too much of a digression for this post, but there are some key points, including making sure you can distinguish all the phonemes, not saying anything you can't say correctly, working on intonation, etc; a basic knowledge of phonetics and a good book on the phonology of your target language are helpful.

I prefer going through a whole book at a time, but this isn't so important. Atamagaii has said "IF you're not capable of doing it without stopping the tape (audio file, tempora mutantur, there are no tapes any longer), you might decide to read a page (or a paragraph) and listen to the passage once or twice and go on. "

Good luck.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5271 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 15 of 59
11 June 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
ruskivyetr wrote:
I really really really really want to take a few days this summer and just do
L-R for like 10 hours a day or something
crazy like that, JUST to see if it works. I'd probably do it with Russian, and possibly a little with German to do
some
(listening, reading, speaking, translating, etc.). A couple of pages from a book per cycle? Or did Atamagaii
suggest

I strongly recommend reading about the language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21162&PN=1&TPN=1">mos t important parts of L-R. It is not
compatible with the idea of exercising all 4 language abilities at once.

The core of L-R is the "incubation phase", where you listen to audio in the target language, intensively; this audio
is made more comprehensible by a variety of means - usually parallel texts. This is why it helps to read the text
ahead of time in your native language, why parallel texts help, why pop-up dictionaries help, why interlinear
word-by-word translations help (especially during the first few hours, for remote languages) if available, etc.
Listening to audio with no idea of the content ahead of time is not L-R, and is remarkably inefficient.

You do not speak or write or translate during this phase. Atamagaii also claims that if you care about accent, you
should not read without audio in this phase; I haven't conclusively demonstrated this to my own satisfaction, but
my minor personal experimentation does point to this being true. All of this waits until after hitting natural
listening; if you care about accent, it's worth working on it before reading/writing/translating/speaking too, but
AFTER hitting natural listening. Acquiring a decent accent is too much of a digression for this post, but there are
some key points, including making sure you can distinguish all the phonemes, not saying anything you can't say
correctly, working on intonation, etc; a basic knowledge of phonetics and a good book on the phonology of your
target language are helpful.

I prefer going through a whole book at a time, but this isn't so important. Atamagaii has said "IF you're not
capable of doing it without stopping the tape (audio file, tempora mutantur, there are no tapes any longer), you
might decide to read a page (or a paragraph) and listen to the passage once or twice and go on. "

Good luck.

In the post that Simoteikeru (SP?) wrote, it said that there was translation and speaking required. Would this be
particularly necessary?

And yes I will probably be taking on this challenge, and I will definitely post my progress, especially with a
language such as Russian.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6229 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 16 of 59
11 June 2010 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:

In the post that Simoteikeru (SP?) wrote, it said that there was translation and speaking required. Would this be
particularly necessary?

Those are useful steps, for gaining active use of the language. They are NOT to be done before you hit natural listening, so you definitely do not want to be doing them every few pages as you begin, if you are trying to L-R.

If you do decide to do them before you hit natural listening, it'll be interesting, and please write about it - but it wouldn't be something I'd call L-R.

ruskivyetr wrote:

And yes I will probably be taking on this challenge, and I will definitely post my progress, especially with a
language such as Russian.

I'm looking forward to reading it; good luck.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version