United States
atariage.com
Joined 5892 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 49 of 59
20 June 2010 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Regarding listening speeds, the VLC Media Player lets you speed up or slow down audio on the fly. One could try setting the audio to 1.5 X speed while reading for example.

Also, come to think of it, Audacity can also speed up audio - WITHOUT that chipmunk voice effect. (I believe it is called Tempo in the menu item instead of Speed.)

Just a couple ideas.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5198 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 50 of 59
20 June 2010 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Regarding the watching of anime with subtitles vs. the L-R method of reading your native language while listening to target language ...

Although I haven't tried L-R yet, I've been theorizing that these things should be quite different, even though on the face of it, it seems like it should be pretty much the same thing.

With anime (or movies, shows, etc) you can ignore the spoken language totally and just read subs, thus making it not very useful. There is nothing at all forcing you to listen.

With L-R however, it seems like you are FORCED to listen to the audio since that's the only way to know where you are in the text. If you ever stop listening, then you're no longer matched up between the two. Thus the person's attention is going first to the audio and secondly to the text in order to match things up, while in anime it's decidedly the other way around. With anime you're never "searching" to make sure you're in the right spot with the text, as it's always synced to the action of the story.

Edited by Sandman on 20 June 2010 at 8:52am

8 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5556 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 51 of 59
21 June 2010 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Redbeard, I tried to speed up audio with audacity. No chipmunk effect, but it still leaves too much relic so it sounds unnatural to my ears. One one hand, this makes it painful to listen to, and on the other hand I do not even accept the sound as being part of the language I am studying.

Sandman, I always try to match the sounds with the movement of the actor's faces, which means that when I watch subtitled movies or shows, I learn something - but not when I watch subtitled cartoons. (I also have difficulties watching overdubbed movies/tv shows)
1 person has voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5892 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 

Message 52 of 59
22 June 2010 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Redbeard, I tried to speed up audio with audacity. No chipmunk effect, but it still leaves too much relic so it sounds unnatural to my ears. One one hand, this makes it painful to listen to, and on the other hand I do not even accept the sound as being part of the language I am studying.

I've experienced "audio artifacts" before, but I always thought that it was because I had my setting so low. I'm kind of a cheap-skate and rarely record anything above 64 kbps. I suppose it's worth checking into. Thanks for the heads-up.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6229 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 53 of 59
22 June 2010 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
I apologize for posting this 3 days late.

atamagaii wrote:

doviende wrote:

The other big reason I didn't mix my native language with listening in the L2, was because if it worked, I'd be totally fluent in Japanese by now! Do you know how many hours of anime I've watched with Japanese audio and English subtitles? It's a ridiculous number of hours, and I'm still hopeless at Japanese. I think I just tune out the Japanese audio because I pay more attention to the subtitles.

Watching movies is NOT L-R.

L-R is LISTENING-reading, that means you must pay attention to what you’re hearing, analyzing it to derive the meaning (and JOY) out of it.

If you’re unable (or not willing, or don’t care, or refuse, or pay attention to something else – jumping pix or big eyes or short skirts) to LISTEN to what you’re hearing, you can spend two lifetimes on watching anime, it won’t miraculously make you understand haiku or pick up chicks in Japanese.

L-R is not mechanical – it’s not something that comes in through one ear and goes out through the other, missing your brain on the way. It requires conscious effort.

You can call a monkey Willy-Nilly Shake Speare, it does not mean that it will produce a single sonnet, not to mention Hamlet, the Prince of Denmark.

The written text (both in L1 and L2, preferably in parallel vertical columns with matching chucks) is there only as an additional tool to help you with your LISTENING. The faster you read, the more time you have to analyze what you’re GOING TO listen to. It goes without saying that you must remember (and be in love with) what you’ve just read.

You CANNOT read subtitles in advance, they appear on the screen at the same time as the characters are speaking, you have no time to pay attention to what you’re hearing, you concentrate on what is going on in the movie. Quite often, subtitles in L2 have very little in common with what is actually being said in L1. What’s more, exposure (new words/sentences per minute) is very poor.

By the way, L-R (reading in L1 with an occasional glance at L2 and LISTENING in L2) works MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than just reading and listening in L2. I know, I’ve done both, girls and boys and both. The best way is, of course, YOUR own way. But it takes thinking, and people somehow usually think that they think.

It’s always worth remembering:
There are no rule(r)s.

siomotteikiru, atamagaii, aYa, turaisiawase, happy-go-lucky Miss Hopper

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5892 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 

Message 54 of 59
23 June 2010 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
It appears that you got your own words inside the quote. Like a time machine. Cool.

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5788 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 55 of 59
24 June 2010 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Am I the only one who finds it incredibly curious and weird that so many people complain that watching foreign movies with subtitles in your own language is not useful? I find it incredibly useful, and I'm not looking to compare it with L-R here but just to say it is incredibly useful if watching a movie is what you want to spend your time doing. When I'm a novice in a language, turning on the matching subtitles only improves my ability to match audio to written. It does not increase my comprehension of meaning because often I am not advanced enough to understand the full meaning of the sentence with all its implications. When I watch with English subtitles, instead, I get: (1) the FULL meaning, with implications (assuming these have been properly translated (2) the challenge of reverse mapping the meaning to the sounds I just heard and figuring out how to build a sentence in the foreign language that would have the meaning and would be made of the sounds still lingering in my ears.

I've recently very much suspected that watching so many Chinese movies with English subtitles in the early days of my studies was the reason that ultimately Chinese learning went super smoothly, but I struggled terribly with Japanese and still haven't gotten it. (It takes work to find Japanese movies with English subs and Japanese DVDs are incredibly expensive, while Chinese movies are very much the opposite in both those respects.)

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5198 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 56 of 59
24 June 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
I don't know ...

I've spent a couple hundred hours probably watching anime, and it hasn't helped much, at least in terms of learning vocabulary. A few words here and there I've learned and it's always good to hear the language, but at least in terms of efficiency it's without a doubt the least effective thing I've done.

It's been the most fun though :)

I'm sure as my vocabulary gets better I'll see it as more effective. Right now, though, it's pretty hard to remain focused on "blah-blah-blah" speaking while there's an interesting story going on and very handy subtitles sitting right there to tell me exactly what's going on.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version