Joined 5594 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 59
16 June 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
I've just started L-R with Harry Potter, I've probably put in two
hours total but I'm already noticing improvements!

I don't have very many sources to do L-R (I don't have time to sit at the computer ALL
DAY) so I figure if I go through Harry Potter a couple times I should really be seeing
major improvements.

Where did you find matching book and audio? One of my benchmarks for progress in French
is reading Harry Potter; but, they usually only have a shortened version.
1 person has voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5775 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 34 of 59
16 June 2010 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
LangOfChildren wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that you recommend reading the L2 text while listening to L2.
I've done that once, and it seems much less rewarding than "true" L-R.

It was my understanding that the goal of L-R is always leading up to only using L2. Using L1 at any point is just to get you started when you've got nothing to grasp. You need it even less if the content is very familiar to you, which is why I chose a Star Trek series for TV, and The Hobbit for reading. Harry Potter was new to me, although I'd seen one of the movies before so I knew the basic characters and idea. Any amount of familiarity can help you go straight to L2.

LangOfChildren wrote:

I believe that for closely related languages, it's totally fine to do L-R right from the start, and probably the best thing one could do, period.

What about Chinese, or a language like Japanese or Turkish (or Finnish)? (i.e. if you're a native English or German speaker)
I wonder if L-R right away is always a good thing to do in terms of time efficiency.

Yes, go back and read what I wrote, because this is exactly what I said. For closely related languages you should move to all-L2 sooner. For languages that are much different from what you already know, I'm not sure what the best course of action is, since I haven't attempted L-R in that situation personally.

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 59
16 June 2010 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Doviende is right. For very different languages one might have to listen to L2 while reading L1 over and over again, and for languages you're more familiar with, you can probably skip the L1+L2 part (at least just do it once). I've done the "L1+L2 once (then L2+L2)" approach twice, for books by Dan Brown (where the L2 was Spanish), but for the Chinese version of Little Prince I still have to do a couple of more rounds before going to Chinese+Chinese.

LangOfChildren
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5216 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 36 of 59
16 June 2010 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
May I ask you, what version of 小王子 are you using? The one Sprachprofi provided?

I'm currently trying to L-R it using my German version of The Little Prince as my L1 text.
I'm just not sure if I'm going to make progress if I just keep L-R'ing it.

How have your experiences been with the Chinese Little Prince so far?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 37 of 59
16 June 2010 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
LangOfChildren wrote:
May I ask you, what version of 小王子 are you using?

Wow, I caught that (i.e. little-king-child) simply by knowing some very basic kanji. And when I say basic, I mean after learning no more than the meanings of a couple of hundred kanji so far. It seems Khatzumoto was spot on about getting the joyo kanji down first.

As regards L&R, I think Doviende is right on about bootstrapping. Once you've got to the point where you can understand the gist and perhaps even some of the finer details from time to time, you should throw away the native water wings and dive straight into the target language where and when you can. I tend to opt for easier texts at first, and then move on to more challenging novels as my confidence and ability increases.

Another important question is how to spend those next 120 hours. What I'm trying to do right now is activate what I've learned through daily conversation with a native speaker and lots of preparation on various designated themes. It's amazing how much you can pick up passively whilst listening and reading in the initial weeks, but it takes time and patience to consolidate this through further practice in speaking and writing afterwards.

@Doviende
It's cool to hear how well you're progressing in German already, and I hope you don't mind another couple of questions in the mix today...

I'm interested in how you approached Swedish pronunciation recently. I spent some time this month comparing the phonetic inventories between English (as well as various accents of English) and Spanish, and found this to be really quite useful. I also tried to follow some of the principles laid down by Olle Kjellin, and learned to recite a page of an interview in Castellano, paying special attention to prosody, rhythm and intonation. What did you find particularly useful in getting to grips with the more challenging vowel sounds in Swedish?

The other question centres on how you acquire (rather than consolidate or review) new vocabulary after the initial bootstrapping period. You mention highlighting persistently evasive or curious words and putting these into Anki for later review. I also imagine you pick up quite a few words and phrases along the way from a variety of contexts and repetition. What would you say are the successful key ingredients in expanding vocabulary after this initial bootstrapping period?

All tips much appreciated. :)

Edited by Teango on 16 June 2010 at 11:31pm

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5374 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 38 of 59
17 June 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
budonoseito wrote:
datsunking1 wrote:
I've just started L-R with Harry Potter, I've probably put in two
hours total but I'm already noticing improvements!

I don't have very many sources to do L-R (I don't have time to sit at the computer ALL
DAY) so I figure if I go through Harry Potter a couple times I should really be seeing
major improvements.

Where did you find matching book and audio? One of my benchmarks for progress in French
is reading Harry Potter; but, they usually only have a shortened version.

I found the book in a small bookstore in a mall, I bought it immeadiately because I've never seen Harry Potter in another language (in real life) I knew it was produced, I just never had the opportunity to buy a copy. It was $9.99.

As for the audio, I typed it in on google and downloaded it. I sure there is Audio for French also. :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 59
17 June 2010 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
LangOfChildren wrote:
May I ask you, what version of 小王子 are you using? The one Sprachprofi provided?

I'm currently trying to L-R it using my German version of The Little Prince as my L1 text.
I'm just not sure if I'm going to make progress if I just keep L-R'ing it.

How have your experiences been with the Chinese Little Prince so far?

Yes, Sprachprofi's version. So far, I think I've listened-read the story in Chinese/Swedish three (maybe four) times, and still think it's quite difficult to follow. Although the story isn't too difficult itself, I wasn't familiar with it before I started (something that usually helps a lot), which may distract me. However, I haven't studied it that intensively. One hour here, one hour there...

I wonder if I'd experience something different with, say, "Da Vinci Code"/"Angels and Demons" if I were to find them in Chinese. Those needed just one round of Spanish/Swedish.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5555 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 40 of 59
17 June 2010 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
As this seems to have become a thread about L-R anyways, I'd like to ask the ones with experience how you manage to synchronize listening and reading.
I find this awfully difficult! For Japanese with Japanese text I have trouble following the text, especially in kana-heavy lines. (That's probably just a matter of practice, it still takes me longer to decode the sound value of the kana and then change it into something meaningful)
When I'm doing French with German/English text, I have the problem that as soon as the story gets me, I end up reading faster than the audio. So usually I read two pages, realize the audio is a paragraph behind, jump backwards and pay attention to every single word I hear, follow the audio for a page or two - over and over again.
Having to keep myself from reading faster is very exhausting.

About the 120 hours ... I am not sure how I'd use them, but I know I'd listen to the spoken language in every spare minute.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version