53 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>
Neil_UK
Tetraglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5051 days ago

50 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto, Welsh
Studies: Polish, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Scottish Gaelic, French

Message 1 of 53
29 June 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
So I'm an English native but also speak German and Spanish fairly well. I'm currently also learning Mandarin and Polish.

Anyway, my trouble is, although I can speak ok in these languages, as soon as I hear a native speaking them I can't understand a thing! They just speak so fast, and it's so very difficult to understand what I'm hearing, especially with their accents.

I feel that understanding the spoken language is very hard. Do you have any advice about how I can develop my ear training in languages? I have a very highly trained musical ear as I am a musician, so my sense of hearing is very highly tuned...I would like to apply this to languages.

Should I try listening to T.V and radio in the languages I'm learning? I've tried that but I don't understand very much as it's all so fast.

Are there any courses that offer 'ear training' for languages so I can develop my listening skills more?

Thanks.

Edited by Neil_UK on 29 June 2010 at 9:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5116 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 53
29 June 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Listen to music, TV, Movies, etc.
Use the search function, there's a million threads on this.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6732 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 3 of 53
29 June 2010 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
In addition to just listening a lot, consider finding some sources which allow you to listen while reading the transcript of what's being said.

Also, one can listen in a graded manner, start with the news, get good at it, and then move on to harder sources, e.g., movies, which can be harder than talking one on one to a person. Audiobooks are also professionally read.

For Spanish and German (and several other languages), one possible source of news items with transcripts is this site: http://www.euronews.net/.
Movies with subtitles in the target language can be helpful, even though the text won't always follow the spoken version exactly.

I also find "overlistening" to be useful. Alternate between listening to a piece with and without the transcript, as many times as it takes to get comfortable following what's being said.

Edited by frenkeld on 14 July 2010 at 9:53pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 53
29 June 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Listen a lot and watch TV and movies without subtitles. Over time, your hearing will get better. Also try finding some podcasts that are short and come with a transcript and listen to it several times, with and without looking at the transcript.

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6228 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 5 of 53
29 June 2010 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Practice. And remember, some languages are harder than others and will require more work. I find spoken French much more difficult than spoken German for example, and although Irish is the language I speak best, some dialects (the ones most different from my own) are extremely difficult for me to hear.

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5224 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 6 of 53
04 July 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

you could use the free software on linux: perroquet

It works with films and subtitles: It plays a sequence and you have to type the dialogue; you get some help from the software.

http://perroquet.b219.org/fr/special/language/select?languag e=en

try it: it will improve your hearing and comprehension very fast

hope this help :)

Eric!
------

2 persons have voted this message useful

dolly
United States
Joined 5579 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 7 of 53
04 July 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
This is what I use, as a student of French:

For listening comprehension of rapid, idiomatic French: Les Simpson DVDs with transcripts.

Colloquial vocabulary: WordReference online dictionary and forum for lookups, Street French books for instruction. The Street French books have plenty of sample sentences written in contracted French. This is a big help.

Grammar: Colloquial French Grammar: A Practical Guide by Rodney Ball.

5 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 8 of 53
04 July 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
I am having problems with this in Russian, problems I can't remember having with English, French or Spanish.

Basically I can hear a sentence in which I KNOW all words, but because of the complex grammar and different word order the sentence still doesn't make sense.

Has anyone experience this, and is this too a matter of getting more exposure?
Maybe my brain isn't as fast anymore; I am over thirty.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version