Groupie
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin

Message 1 of 30
12 July 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged 

Would you recomd. your strategy to someone wanting to learn your target language?

Considering all the various learning materials I have used, some very obscure; the random disorganized, and disjointed learning process, I would not recommend this strategy to someone wanting to learn my target language. At the same time I don't know of any organized and straightforward efficient approach or program that would help someone to reach fluency or I would probably be fluent by now.

1 person has voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6324 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 30
12 July 2010 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
1. Start with Assimil (plus another method if you want). At the mid of the book, start trying to read simplified text (at this step,
you won't understand everything, but the more you read, the more words you'll recognize and know).
2. After having finished Assimil, begin with some other workbooks and exercises books and watch TV in the target language, even though
you won't understand more than 20% at the beginning (do watch the news, they are the easiest to understand due to the clear speakers). And the most
important part: try to think in the language (specially in dead-times like the bathtime) and speak in every oportunity. The material
used should be more and more advanced. This step is the longest in my opinion: it starts in the third month and it takes at least 1 year (2 or 3 if
the language is very different to the ones you already speak).

Oh, yes, the more time you spend on the language, the faster you'll learn it. My recomendation: 2 or 3 hours a day for step 2.
It's simple: Assimil --> reading + exercises + TV/radio ---> think and speak (and write).

Hope it helps and have a nice day!
Guido.-

Edited by Guido on 12 July 2010 at 3:55am

4 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 30
12 July 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
If I wouldn't recommend it to someone, I wouldn't use it myself.

ibraheem
Groupie
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 

Message 4 of 30
12 July 2010 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:

If you believe that your strategy has been efficient and easy to follow for an average person... otherwise some people might not recommend their approach to language learning and would not want to repeat the same strategy but rather try to improve on it.

ibraheem
Groupie
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 

Message 5 of 30
12 July 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Guido wrote:
1. Start with Assimil (plus another method if you want). At the mid of the book, start trying to read simplified text (at this step,
you won't understand everything, but the more you read, the more words you'll recognize and know).
2. After having finished Assimil, begin with some other workbooks and exercises books and watch TV in the target language, even though
you won't understand more than 20% at the beginning (do watch the news, they are the easiest to understand due to the clear speakers). And the most
important part: try to think in the language (specially in dead-times like the bathtime) and speak in every oportunity. The material
used should be more and more advanced. This step is the longest in my opinion: it starts in the third month and it takes at least 1 year (2 or 3 if
the language is very different to the ones you already speak).

Oh, yes, the more time you spend on the language, the faster you'll learn it. My recomendation: 2 or 3 hours a day for step 2.
It's simple: Assimil --> reading + exercises + TV/radio ---> think and speak (and write).

Hope it helps and have a nice day!
Guido.-

Personally I could never get through any teach yourself language courses but I keep hearing about Assimil haven't got around to trying it though.

As far as step 2 it really depends on ones personal habits and the materials they use, and it seems that it should take some less than a year if they are very dedicated, others may take longer than 3 years.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5123 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 6 of 30
12 July 2010 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
ibraheem wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

If you believe that your strategy has been efficient and easy to follow for an average person... otherwise some people might not recommend their approach to language learning and would not want to repeat the same strategy but rather try to improve on it.
If you feel it's inefficient, change it. I guess you could always find a better way to learn a language after you've already learned one.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 30
12 July 2010 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
ibraheem wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

If you feel it's inefficient, change it. I guess you could always find a better way to learn a language after you've already learned one.

At which point, you're stuck either recommending something inefficient, or something you think is better but which is still untried (by you, at least).

It's perfectly possible to have language learning strategies you've used that you wouldn't recommend, with the benefit of hindsight - I've had plenty.

kidshomestunner
United Kingdom
Joined 6201 days ago

239 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: Japanese

Message 8 of 30
12 July 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
One advice would be to research your opponent. Know how many characters there are to learn, know what the grammar is, have a look at the sound system, chart the territory. You should then decide how well you want to learn it. For me I wanted good reading skills as I have always wanted to be a translator, thus listening was not as important for me.

You should then gather learning materials like nobody's business. Use as many as you can

You should then get a Japanese friend be it online or in real ife

You should be honest with yourself

You should believe in yourslef and in God

You should listen to music when studying

You should do study things which may seem unimportant

You should network with other linguists but

You should be independently minded

You should use milestones like 2000 kanji, this grammar boook that grammar book etc

You should take pride in what you are doing

You should learn like a parrot

You should learn in context.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version