Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6990 days ago

75 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 1 of 28
01 March 2006 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Does anyone know anything about the Chinese Assimil course for English speakers?

They (Assimil) told me it would be released at the start of 2006, and I also read a post by another forum member saying they had heard the same thing. But as March and Spring has just begun, I'm beginning to wonder whats happening!

I'm tempted to buy a secondhand version off Ebay for German speakers. Do you think this would be a bad idea? My German is not very good at all, so I would probably not understand many of the explanations, but maybe I could manage with a dictionary. It's all just extra hassle you don't really need when study an already difficult language though I guess.
1 person has voted this message useful

owshawng
United States
Joined 6683 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 

Message 2 of 28
01 March 2006 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Assimil responeded to an email I sent them in January and told me that Chinese for English speakers would be available in February. I just checked their website and Mandarin chinese isn't available yet. I'm a bit disappointed. I bought their Spanish WithEase a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. Makes Pimsleur seem so boring and slow.

Edited by owshawng on 01 March 2006 at 11:28pm

duffdude
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6990 days ago

75 posts - 72 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 3 of 28
02 March 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
I've never used Assimil programs, but from what I hear they sound just the kind of program that I would enjoy.

On your Spanish With Ease course, is there much in the way of explanations in English? If there are not, then I will seriously consider getting the Chinese course in French or German (I speak neither). Also, I think I read this somewhere, but it's just worth checking, is the audio all in the target language?

Thanks!

Guanche
Hexaglot
Spain
danielmarin.blogspot
Joined 6843 days ago

168 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanC1, RussianB1, French, Japanese
Studies: Greek, Mandarin, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 28
02 March 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
I have the version for French speakers and is quite interesting, although it contains some outdated expresions.

owshawng
United States
Joined 6683 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 

Message 5 of 28
02 March 2006 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
duffdude wrote:

On your Spanish With Ease course, is there much in the way of explanations in English?

The audio cds are entirely in Spanish. In the book, the dialogue is in Spanish on the left page and english on the right page. There are some grammar explanations in english as well. I definitely want to get the assimil chinese for english speakers when it is available.

Edited by owshawng on 02 March 2006 at 3:59pm

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6900 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 6 of 28
03 March 2006 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Guanche wrote:
I have the version for French speakers and is quite interesting, although it contains some outdated expresions.

Daniel,

Is this 1981 version? If so, then it's the same one I have - the English version is also exactly the same (in terms of the Spanish taught). There is, however, an updated French version which is just called L'Espagnol - presumably learning Spanish is no longer "sans peine" for the French :¬).

Andy.

Guanche
Hexaglot
Spain
danielmarin.blogspot
Joined 6843 days ago

168 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanC1, RussianB1, French, Japanese
Studies: Greek, Mandarin, Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 28
03 March 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, Andy. I was talking about Chinese Assimil for French speakers!
Anyway, this is a 2004 edition, but it's a revised edition from the mid-eighties.

InsanePenguin
Wales
Joined 6668 days ago

248 posts - 248 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 28
04 March 2006 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Owshawng, I'm waiting for Spanish with ease to arrive, I've also just started Pimsleur Spanish II would it be ok to start Assimil at the same time?

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version