bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5224 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 25 of 100
11 September 2010 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
I´m happy with French and English as native tongues. My French is just a tad bit better than my English. If I could change it though I would. Make it so my native language is Dutch and French instead of French and English. Or, Russian and Dutch, that´d be quite something. If just one option then Dutch for sure. 2 options then Dutch and French or Dutch and Russian.
1 person has voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5177 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 26 of 100
11 September 2010 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't change my native English, but I would have loved to have been raised bilingual. I'm not sure what language though....Spanish would be the most useful, Finnish and Swedish were the languages of my maternal grandparents so I feel some affinity. And I would love to have learned a language with highly complex grammar much different than English. (Finnish would probably fit the bill there). Something really unique and different maybe, like Georgian or Basque.

I know my family geneaology extremely well thanks to my sister's research, so I actually know that virtually all of my paternal ancestors came from Southern Engand to Virginia and ultimately North Carolina in the 1600's and 1700's. My mother's father was a Swedish speaking Finn, and her mother's family is a bit of a mystery. Most likely English though, from what we know. So I know that I'm pretty much 1/4 Swedish/Finnish and 3/4 English.

I do feel an affinity for English, since I know my ancestors were speaking English all along. I am American, but I love England and my goal is to visit there someday, along with my great grandfather's home town in Finland.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5446 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 27 of 100
11 September 2010 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't necessarily give up English, but I wish I was raised bilingual with Korean, as I should have been. To me, a Korean having to learn Korean is ridiculous...

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5132 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 28 of 100
11 September 2010 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't change my native Dutch for anything but I would have loved to have been raised bilingual, with French as my secondary native language, or even trilingual with English as well. The ideal upbringing for me would be to have been raised in the UK with a Dutch father and a French mother, spending a lot of time in France and the Netherlands as well and maybe Italy and Greece to put a dent into those languages as well. ;-)

CommanderK
Bilingual Triglot
Israel
melearninglanguages.
Joined 4986 days ago

24 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 29 of 100
11 September 2010 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
I will never change my native language! :)
F***ing Hebrew patriot :P
3 persons have voted this message useful

jtdotto
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5026 days ago

73 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, German

Message 30 of 100
11 September 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
tritone wrote:
Levi wrote:

The only people in this country who proclaim any kind of Anglophone pride, frankly, seem to be motivated more
by fear/hatred of Spanish than by a fondness for English.

I have never heard anyone, not even super-conservative people, proclaim any sort of pride in the English
Language - in the same manner that the French for example, pride themselves in their language. This
phenomenom just doesn't exist. Even the word "anglophone" to collectively label all English speakers is seldom
used.

English is not even actively promoted by any English speaking body (like the francophonie promotes french), it
just kind of spreads on its own. Nobody says "English is so beautiful, learn English!". We don't care.

True, conservatives do not often espouse a sincere pride in the language, but rather use 'English as the Official
Language' movement as political oppression of immigrants. Keep in mind what Levi said though. The biggest
motivating factor is fear of Spanish, not love of English.

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5130 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 31 of 100
11 September 2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Being a native speaker of a Romance Language pays off. I was able to understand Spanish since always, and I have learned to speak it decently from exposition alone. French required some effort, but after after breaking down the initial barrier, I suddenly could understand nearly everything. And then Italian, it seemed very transparent after I was already competent in three Romance Languages.

So I was wondering if I should swap my Portuguese for Mandarin... it would be an unfair trade, as it would have costed me four languages not one.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6379 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 32 of 100
11 September 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
luhmann wrote:
So I was wondering if I should swap my Portuguese for Mandarin... it would be an unfair trade, as it would have costed me four languages not one.

Dude. There's something like 14 different languages closely related to Mandarin.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version