Tags: Native Language
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
100 messages over 13 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 12 13 Next >>
luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5130 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 33 of 100
11 September 2010 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:

Dude. There's something like 14 different languages closely related to Mandarin.

Oh, quite truth. But none is a big national language which could be useful even when living far from where it is spoken.
3 persons have voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5330 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 34 of 100
11 September 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I Agree with Ari and jtdotto about this "having English as native language is like
winning a lottery" thing. To me it's exactly the opposite. Since English is so
ubiquitous, you would have ended up learning it anyway, no matter what your native
tongue would've been. So you would end up at least two good languages, whereas being
"lottery winner" would give you a chance to get by with just language. Which may be
convenient but which sure hasn't got anything to do with being lucky.

I, for one, wouldn't want to have been born with English as my native tongue. I feel it
would've been a handicap for me personally. I feel that if I wouldn't have been as keen
to learn languages then as I am now. After all, there would be so fewer compelling
reasons to get off my lazy behind and learn another language.

As for picking another language as my native language - no.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 35 of 100
11 September 2010 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
I'd go with Inuktitut.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5132 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 36 of 100
11 September 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
aabram wrote:
I, for one, wouldn't want to have been born with English as my native tongue. I feel it
would've been a handicap for me personally. I feel that if I wouldn't have been as keen
to learn languages then as I am now. After all, there would be so fewer compelling
reasons to get off my lazy behind and learn another language.

I agree with this. Even though I would love to have a native command of English, I wouldn't want it as my native language unless I could be bilingual because if it were, I would still be monolingual by now and I might not even have developed an interest in languages at all. I actually feel very lucky that I was born in a place where I got a language of my own as well as so much English exposure that I got another language almost for free, and such a useful one too!

Being able to talk about others without them understanding you is a plus factor as well. ;-)

Edited by ReneeMona on 11 September 2010 at 6:56pm

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5469 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 37 of 100
11 September 2010 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
On one hand I'm really glad that my native language is considered to be one of the more complex ones in general to almost everyone, and I've come to greatly appreciate how imaginative and (almost) unique it is many ways. You don't think about this stuff often with your native language. On the other hand, I'm a little jealous of everyone whose native language greatly resembles another language, that's to say people speaking Romance or Germanic or Slavic languages as native languages for example. In all of these language families you have plenty of languages that are really worth learning, as in not close to extinction, and I'm sure it is very fascinating to dive into a language that resembles your native one a lot. With Finnish, I only get Estonian for a "discount", and even the relationship between these two isn't as close as Russian and Ukrainian or Swedish and Danish etc.

Of course, since I can speak English I do sort of get a discount for other Germanic languages now too, so yeah.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6379 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 38 of 100
12 September 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Thatzright wrote:
With Finnish, I only get Estonian for a "discount", and even the relationship between these two isn't as close as Russian and Ukrainian or Swedish and Danish etc.

What about Hungarian?

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6379 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 39 of 100
12 September 2010 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
luhmann wrote:
Ari wrote:

Dude. There's something like 14 different languages closely related to Mandarin.

Oh, quite truth. But none is a big national language which could be useful even when living far from where it is spoken.

Cantonese might not be a national language, but it's quite big and it's certainly useful even when living far from where it's spoken. Fukkienese is spoken by 70% of Taiwan and also has a strong presence in Chinatowns around the world.

And if you were raised with Mandarin, chances are big you'd be bilingual. And you'd get a discount on Japanese (writing system and vocabulary) and even Korean (vocabulary). Just sayin'.

Edited by Ari on 12 September 2010 at 2:09am

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 40 of 100
12 September 2010 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Thatzright wrote:
With Finnish, I only get Estonian for a "discount", and even the relationship between these two isn't as close as Russian and Ukrainian or Swedish and Danish etc.

What about Hungarian?

Finnish, while related to Hungarian, is not a close cousin. It would be about as much help as knowing Icelandic while studying its relative Bengali.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version