Groupie
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Italian

Message 1 of 29
11 November 2010 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
I'd like to hear people's feedback about Rosetta Stone V3...

Only from people who have used it extensively however!

As in, you have gone through levels one, two, and three.

Plenty of people on these forums gripe about RS, as I discovered in a recent search, although very few gripers seemed to have actually gone through an entire program... or even a significant portion of a program. In my brief glimpses of RS, it seems to have a naturalistic method which forces the learner to figure things out on their own, which for me is a preferred method (I dislike reading through grammar books and memorizing lists of vocabulary... that sort of study sucks the life out of a language for me).

Obviously Rosetta Stone is overpriced, but besides that...

For those of you who have gone through levels 1-3 in V3 of Rosetta Stone, how was it? What was missing from it? What other materials did you use to supplemt RS V3?
1 person has voted this message useful

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Italian

Message 3 of 29
11 November 2010 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Arabic, although I'd be interested to hear thoughts from people who have tried any language with RS V3.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 29
11 November 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm willing to bet the reason you're seeing gripes from people who've not completed all three levels is because they're unwilling to sit through that many levels without feeling any real progress.

I know I certainly wouldn't consider going past level one if I didn't feel some progress.

R.
==

Magnus13
Triglot
United States
mybestwaytolearnspan
Joined 4951 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 5 of 29
11 November 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I for one actually like Rosetta Stone, aside from the price of course. I am not opposed
to the use of grammar books, word lists, etc., but I think when you're starting out it is
a great tool given the sheer amount of time it has you listening to native speakers, and
practicing your pronunciation. Also, I find that I don't have to think about the rules
for a lot of the material it covered (present tense, irregular verbs, preterit, etc.). It
seems to come naturally after a while. I'm not sure about other languages, but for
Spanish it seemed to be a good tool. I hope this answer could help.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 29
11 November 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
nebojats wrote:
Plenty of people on these forums gripe about RS, as I discovered in a recent search, although very few gripers seemed to have actually gone through an entire program... or even a significant portion of a program.

This now sounds like a criticism of our criticisms. If you don't want us "gripers" posting, don't goad us!
Quote:
In my brief glimpses of RS, it seems to have a naturalistic method which forces the learner to figure things out on their own,

That's marketing mate -- make something appeal on first glance, because it's first impressions that sell.

I compare it to sofas and chairs. You go into a showroom, you sit down for 5 minutes, you think "that's comfy", you buy it. You may or may not find later that it gives you a sore back sitting down to watch through a full film (="movie" in US English). In my experience, most home furniture has bad ergonomics, because the first impression of a truly comfortable chair is that it's a bit stiff and (ironically) uncomfortable.

Quote:
(I dislike reading through grammar books and memorizing lists of vocabulary... that sort of study sucks the life out of a language for me).

Very few people do, and very few modern courses would ask you to do this.

2 persons have voted this message useful

JustinJ
United States
Joined 4940 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 29
12 November 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I worked through 80 percent of French 1. I realized that it was just not worth the effort.   The program was very laborious and never seemed to go anywhere.   I could have gotten an Assimil Course, Pimsleur or another course and been a lot further ahead for the time invested.

At first, I did not mind the course but after a while, I knew that it would not going to get me the fluency in the language.

I do not mind grammar books. Grammar books can be good in the sense of a road map of a language.   

If you find that you like Rosetta Stone then by all means use it. It just does not work for me. I can remember the vocabulary but even this seems limited. Another problem with the course is the generic pictures that do not relate to the culture that you are studying. I believe they use the same pictures in every course but can not verify this.   After a while, the clicking with the mouse on screen becomes quite boring at least for me.

Faraday
United States
Joined 5928 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 8 of 29
12 November 2010 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
"naturalistic method"

Can someone explain to me what this means? What's a natural method, and what's an artificial method?

Is cooking with fire a natural method of eating, or an artificial method?

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version