2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 29
12 November 2010 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Lil' off topic but
Cainntear wrote:
film (="movie" in US English)

We know that one. It's the "Bob's your uncle" thing that confuses us.
Faraday wrote:
Is cooking with fire a natural method of eating, or an artificial method?

Neither. It's a natural method of cooking:)
Sleeping now....
3 persons have voted this message useful

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Italian

Message 10 of 29
12 November 2010 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
@Magnus13:

What you say pretty much lines up with what I was guessing about Rosetta Stone. I've learned languages mostly through language institutes abroad where you have to hammer out understanding on your own... and I think that results in an intuitive manner of speaking. Like you say, it means you don't have to think about the rules constantly, it just sort of comes forth because it sounds right. What appeals to me about RS is it seems to sort of mimic that approach. Any suggestions on which materials to use in conjunction with RS to make for a fuller learning experience?

@JustinJ:

I definitely can understand where you're coming from. Even in the brief time that I tested RS, it did seem repetitive, culturally irrelevant, and laborious. So what is it missing exactly? Any suggestions for specific other programs that address RS' deficiencies and why?

...and now for the first and last time I'll respond to posts not dealing with the thread topic...

@hrhenry:

I think you must be right.

@Cainntear:

What I said was criticism, yes. I feel about the RS griping the same way I would about a review that judges a film by the first five minutes or a book by the first few pages (aside note: I am an American and I use the terms "movie" and "film" interchangeably). I hope you can understand where I'm coming from and not take offense. I think your sofa analogy might be accurate, and it might not. I simply don't know because I haven't used the program for more than an hour or so. The point of this thread is to ask people who have sat on the "sofa" through an entire movie, not to ask people who have sat on it for five minutes in the showroom. If anyone who has used RS extensively agrees with the sofa analogy, please say so.

@Faraday:

An iffy term that means many things for many people. I'm working for a fairly well-renowned development program, and the way that we were taught Thai was through "naturalistic" methods. These methods, along with cultural immersion, were by far the most effective language learning epxerience I've ever had. I also am working to train local English teachers to adopt such methods in classrooms. I would say that for me, the "naturalistic" approach to language learning usually entails the following: no translation, little explicit explanation of grammar (and if so, only in the target language), using the second language communicatively (always to express ideas to others, never in isolation), addressing different intelligicences (listening, speaking, reading, writing, total physical response). I may be forgetting some things... The general idea, though, is to mimic the natural language learning process as much as possible. I'd be glad to talk about it more in another thread.

Edited by nebojats on 12 November 2010 at 4:31am

1 person has voted this message useful

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 

Message 11 of 29
12 November 2010 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Also, another thought:

Can't you choose various courses? Like... condensing the lessons? I'm pretty sure that you get to choose different focuses (read, speaking, etc.) as well as time frames. Would that help with the repitiveness and slowness?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 29
12 November 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I know you're not going to listen to me, but as anyone around here will tell you I have an inflated opinion of my own self-worth and love the sound of my own voice so I'm going to tell you what I think anyway.
nebojats wrote:
I've learned languages mostly through language institutes abroad where you have to hammer out understanding on your own... and I think that results in an intuitive manner of speaking. Like you say, it means you don't have to think about the rules constantly, it just sort of comes forth because it sounds right. What appeals to me about RS is it seems to sort of mimic that approach.
Even in the brief time that I tested RS, it did seem repetitive, culturally irrelevant, and laborious. So what is it missing exactly?
I would say that for me, the "naturalistic" approach to language learning usually entails the following: no translation, little explicit explanation of grammar (and if so, only in the target language), using the second language communicatively (always to express ideas to others, never in isolation),
The general idea, though, is to mimic the natural language learning process as much as possible. I'd be glad to talk about it more in another thread.

The idea of "mimicking the natural language learning process" is marketing, pure and simple. Anyone who has studied infant language development can tell you that.

With Rosetta Stone or any "naturalistic" classes, you are being fed specific language points to learn at a specific time.

RS mimics your earlier classes in one way -- it presents the language without explanation or translation. The majority of your class time was not spent on the presentation of language, though, was it? The majority of your class time was spent using the language in meaningful ways in games and discussion activities.

You don't like rules. Well, if you get rid of "rules", you still end up teaching "patterns", and that's what RS does.

So while you may not be learning and regurgitating a rule, you are simply learning and regurgitating a pattern. The testing in RS does not get you to apply the pattern creatively, it only asks you to prove that you can regurgitate it in the limited context of the software, which is identical to the teaching.

Furthermore, the mechanics of Rosetta Stone restrict it to very concrete constructions. It is difficult to fully express the subtleties of time, desire and personal motivations in a little photograph, so they stick to very simplistic, direct language.

What you liked about the classes you took is not replicated in RS, and sadly it's something that computers can't really do yet. (Although I took part in an experimental language class in Second Life with the Open University a year or two ago that showed some promise.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

carlonove
United States
Joined 5796 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 29
12 November 2010 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
(Although I took part in an experimental language class in Second Life with the Open University a year or two ago that showed some promise.)

That sounds interesting. Can you share a link to more info about the project?

Magnus13
Triglot
United States
mybestwaytolearnspan
Joined 4951 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 14 of 29
12 November 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
nebojats wrote:
@Magnus13:

What you say pretty much lines up with what I was guessing about Rosetta Stone. I've
learned languages mostly through language institutes abroad where you have to hammer
out understanding on your own... and I think that results in an intuitive manner of
speaking. Like you say, it means you don't have to think about the rules constantly,
it just sort of comes forth because it sounds right. What appeals to me about RS is it
seems to sort of mimic that approach. Any suggestions on which materials to use in
conjunction with RS to make for a fuller learning experience?

I do agree with the other members of this board who say that there isn't really a
"naturalistic" method of learning, and that methods that try to mimic it are not as
effective as they could be. I still like RS nonetheless. Given that I have
never studied Arabic I don't have any specific books to recommend to you. I have,
however, had a good experience with the Practice Makes Perfect series of books. In my
opinion it is good to have a grammar reference with RS, because some rules will take
you 20x longer to infer than to read and learn (however, for the rules you can infer, I
think it becomes easier to remember them through RS). For instance, it would have
taken me forever to learn the subjunctive tenses in Spanish through immersion alone.
And yet, I was able to learn them and thoroughly understand them after about a week of
more "traditional" methods. I hope this helps.

Edited by Magnus13 on 12 November 2010 at 4:11pm

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 

Message 15 of 29
18 November 2010 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Magnus. Very specific and helpful advice.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6931 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 16 of 29
18 November 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Magnus13 wrote:
I for one actually like Rosetta Stone, aside from the price of course. I am not opposed
to the use of grammar books, word lists, etc., but I think when you're starting out it is
a great tool given the sheer amount of time it has you listening to native speakers, and
practicing your pronunciation. Also, I find that I don't have to think about the rules
for a lot of the material it covered (present tense, irregular verbs, preterit, etc.). It
seems to come naturally after a while. I'm not sure about other languages, but for
Spanish it seemed to be a good tool. I hope this answer could help.

Is anyone else's shill-alarm going off?

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version