Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 17 of 29
18 November 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
Is anyone else's shill-alarm going off?

Nope. I don't agree with the guy -- I think he's been duped by the marketing, but I think he genuinely holds that opinion.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 29
18 November 2010 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
nebojats wrote:
I'd like to hear people's feedback about Rosetta Stone V3...
Only from people who have used it extensively however!
As in, you have gone through levels one, two, and three.
(...)For those of you who have gone through levels 1-3 in V3 of Rosetta Stone, how was it? What was missing from it? What other materials did you use to supplemt RS V3?

I would like to remind participants in this discussion about the original question. It was not what members of the forum think about it, but about the concrete experiences its actual users have had with it - though this should include those who tried it and dropped it (otherwise we will have an overrepresentation of the satisfied customers).

Magnus13
Triglot
United States
mybestwaytolearnspan
Joined 4951 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 19 of 29
19 November 2010 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
Magnus13 wrote:
I for one actually like Rosetta Stone, aside from the
price of course. I am not opposed
to the use of grammar books, word lists, etc., but I think when you're starting out it
is
a great tool given the sheer amount of time it has you listening to native speakers,
and
practicing your pronunciation. Also, I find that I don't have to think about the rules
for a lot of the material it covered (present tense, irregular verbs, preterit, etc.).
It
seems to come naturally after a while. I'm not sure about other languages, but for
Spanish it seemed to be a good tool. I hope this answer could help.

I understand that if I were in your position I would likely think that I am a shill.
However, this is simply not the case. I was merely expressing my opinion of Rosetta
Stone, based upon my experience using it.

@ Cainntear

I haven't been duped by the marketing, as I am fully aware that it is a hyped product
and that there is no one system that can teach you everything you need to know about a
target language.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5155 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 20 of 29
19 November 2010 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
I think of Rosetta Stone in the same way that I think about Pimsleur, Michel Thomas or Livemocha: as valuable complements to my main textbooks that nicely round up particular competencies, altogether facilitating and enhancing my study regimen.

But since by themselves they won't take you very far at all, they should be priced just like what they are, secondary aids and complements, not as if they were complete and robust language learning programs, which they definitely are not.

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Italian

Message 21 of 29
19 November 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Juan!

Ignoring price for a second, if you could identify some of RS' biggest shortcomings, what would they be? What program or type of book would you use to address those shortcomings and why?

Magnus13 says a grammar book is a good complement to Rosetta Stone, since RS doesn't explain grammar at all. Cainntear mentions improvisation/comminicating in the language as something lacking from RS, which might be addressed by using programs like Livemocha. Thoughts?

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6931 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 22 of 29
19 November 2010 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Magnus13 wrote:
Chris wrote:
Magnus13 wrote:
I for one actually like Rosetta Stone, aside from the
price of course. I am not opposed
to the use of grammar books, word lists, etc., but I think when you're starting out it
is
a great tool given the sheer amount of time it has you listening to native speakers,
and
practicing your pronunciation. Also, I find that I don't have to think about the rules
for a lot of the material it covered (present tense, irregular verbs, preterit, etc.).
It
seems to come naturally after a while. I'm not sure about other languages, but for
Spanish it seemed to be a good tool. I hope this answer could help.

I understand that if I were in your position I would likely think that I am a shill.
However, this is simply not the case. I was merely expressing my opinion of Rosetta
Stone, based upon my experience using it.

Well, if that is your opinion, you are certainly entitled to it, and if you found benefit from the program, then good luck to you. I hope you will post more about your experiences with language learning. As a new-comer to a forum posting positive comments about a course that, otherwise, receives a lot of criticism, I would ask you understand why you aroused (arouse - you're not off the hook yet in my books!) suspicion. Such is the way of the Internet!

Magnus13
Triglot
United States
mybestwaytolearnspan
Joined 4951 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 23 of 29
19 November 2010 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for (sort of) understanding Chris. In my original post I said what I liked
aside from the price. Rosetta Stone is very overpriced, but if it were to cost say $50
for all 3 levels, there really isn't a reason to not get it.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5155 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 24 of 29
19 November 2010 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
nebojats wrote:
Juan!

Ignoring price for a second, if you could identify some of RS' biggest shortcomings, what would they be?

That it is not substantive enough. Not by far. After completing all three levels you'll have an exceedingly limited vocabulary and no formal understanding of the grammar. You'll be able to ask for directions, but not give your opinion on politics or literature.

I think if you were to bundle Rosetta Stone with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, and offer them as "companions" to a real textbook like Langenscheidt's Optimal for German or Hachette's Alter Ego for French, you'd be onto something. In my opinion USD60 for all three levels of Rosetta Stone with no installation restrictions would be a fair and reasonable price, and I would gladly pay it. Same for Pimsleur and Michel Thomas, all levels included.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version