Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 1 of 41
13 November 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
OK let's get real. I started this log because I was afraid that someone would steal my
"Putong-What" title xD

Hi! I'm Whitefish, a sixteen year old student from Canada. I'm in my final year of high
school right now and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. It will probably
be somewhere in academia somewhere, but, if you aren't aware, tenure-track positions in
the humanities aren't exactly a hot commodity right now, so I really don't now. Either
way, learning a language is something I've been trying to do for a while now.

I think the odyssey began nearly a year ago. My frequent trips to the library led to
myself passing the language section of the library several times a week. It was always
interesting, but I never did anything about it because I never actually pictured myself
being able to teach myself another language. One day, i saw a course called "Colloquial
Croatian. My friend is a Croat, and I told her about it; she said I should pick it up
so that we could speak Croatian together. That was fun, but I never got past the second
chapter or so; I figured that if I was going to spend a lot of time learning a
language, it wouldn't be Croatian.

From there, language was on the back-burner for a while,(except for a brief interest in
Hindi) until this past summer. My somewhat eclectic reading diet had led to myself
becoming interested in Buddhism. I thought that I would spend the summer teaching
myself Sanskrit and Pali. I went out and bought Michael Coulson's "Teach Yourself
Sanskrit", did five chapters and promptly broke down crying. OK, I didn't actually cry,
but it went way over my head. I still have the book, and I want to pick up Sanskrit
eventually, but not now.

And now here we are. I have attempted to study the following in my spare time:
Croatian, Sanskrit, Arabic, Hindi and Cree. All of them have been massive, colossal,
uterrly complete failures.

If you had told me a few weeks ago that I would have picked Mandarin, I might have
laughed at you. Mandarin? Are you kidding me? It's so cliche. It's so, "I want to get
ahead in life". I just picture Young Republicans entering business school and learning
Mandarin only because they want to make more money in the future.

No, I would have probably said I'd be studying, like, Coptic or Armenian or Vietnamese
or some small, quirky language.

So what gives? Coincidence, really. I was at the library again and I saw a copy of
"Elementary Chinese". When someone puts my in the library, I become a kind of
compulsive borrower. Everything and everything that interests me goes into the bag
(which is why I have more than 30 books checked out now >.>. Most of them are for
school, but still.)A lot of my friends are Chinese (they speak mostly Canto though!),
so I'd sort of practice with them. Little by little, I became more interested. At the
time, I had been trying to study Latin and German, but Chinese began to take up more
and more of my time.

Today I went and bought two books: "Reading & Writing Chinese: Traditional Character
Edition" and "Oxford Beginner's Chinese Dictionary." I have officially committed myself
to learning this language.

I'm so excited! To celebrate, I've also checked out a bunch of children's books in
Chinese from the library as well ("No David" in Chinese, a book with a festive-looking
penguin on the front, one about a grandmother and her child, and a short novel with a
bunch of plucky-looking young girls jumping out of a castle. Oh, an a nature
documentary on the migration of the red crab and Dora the Explorer in Mandarin.)

My goals:
  • Learn 25-30 Hanzi every day
  • Listen to at least six hours of audio
    every day
  • Anzi sentences once I have 250~ hanzi

Some might look at my past failures and think "Pfft! There's no way." Go on. Say that.
I dare you.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 

Message 2 of 41
13 November 2010 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Haha. Wow. That was a bit of a mess - I can't help it. I'm excited to start learning.

I just need to be careful not to work too hard at the beginning and then get bored.
Slow and steady wins the race.

I easily got to #50 in my hanzi book today, mostly because the first bunch are either
radicals or super easy words I already knew (我, 也, 好, etc.) I learned a few new ones
too. Vocabulary is probably roughly ~75 characters, including the ones I've already
learned.

Easily got 6+ hours today, and I'm watching Dora the Explorer in Mandarin right now.
It's really great because it's subtitled in Mandarin, so it allows me to sort of bridge
my written knowledge with the audio input. Plus, it's hilarious.
3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 41
14 November 2010 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Catchy title. Good to see someone with so much energy. I predict you will succeed.
Welcome to the forum.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 

Message 4 of 41
14 November 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Catchy title. Good to see someone with so much energy. I predict you
will succeed.
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much for your kind words!

As fascinating as it may seen, I'm not going to update this page daily just saying
"finished my characters/listening/sentences for the day". So I'm thinking I'll just
record thoughts on what's going on with my progress, successes, failures etc.

Right now, I'm really impressed with how much vocabulary I can identify already. Just
scanning the pages of the books I have/reading the subtitled text in my "Dora" movie
(which has a few nasty scratches unfortunately, so it freezes at some part), I can make
out a fair amount of the characters. It's easy to exaggerate the amount of the
conversation I understand (it's really a tiny, tiny sliver) - but when I think of
French, of which I have taken 10 years of lessons, it was much more difficult. Hell, I
still can't make out most of the news I hear. So it's encouraging.

I'm tempted to get to 100 characters in my book today, just because I have the time.
The important thing is really that I set up a stable schedule for review though. I
learn five when I wake up and review yesterday's characters. Then I learn five at
lunch, five when I get home from school, five before I leave to go swimming, and five
before I go to bed; then the whole cycle is repeated.

I'm impatient to get started with the sentences. Maybe I will go for 100 today.
1 person has voted this message useful

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6395 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 5 of 41
14 November 2010 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Good luck! The longer you manage to keep this kind of motivation, the better.

Tropi
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 5242 days ago

67 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 41
14 November 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Just a hint: Don't overdo it. If you get frustrated at some point you might want to take a break. That's fatal. You lose them very easily, so be careful. ;)

BTW. You're in your final year and still have time to listen 6 hours a day to Chinese? Either you don't sleep or you have an awesome timetable. ;)

I would also appreciate which audio material you listen to. Also, how much of it do you understand?

Élan
United States
Joined 5255 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 7 of 41
15 November 2010 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
I have some of the same questions as Tropi. What kind of audio material are you using? Also, if you're looking for music in Mandarin other than pop, I posted some of my favorites
here.

Such a cute title! Good luck and enjoy the awesome motivation while it lasts!
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version