Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 33 of 41
15 December 2010 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Polyglot_gr wrote:
It is really surprising for me to read the above posts, where non-natives talk about learning Chinese characters.
Wake-up guys. We live in 2010. You can copy any Chinese text, paste it in those specialized web pages and turn in into pinyin within seconds. Why spend half your life studying something with little practical use, while you could learn 5-10 languages in the same period?

Loipon den einai shmantiko na mporoume na diabasoyme kai to ellhniko alfabhto? Ua htan poly dyskolo na diabaseiw, ma den ua eprepe na mauoyme to "dyskolotato kai axrhsto" alfabhto thw ellhnikhw glvssaw. Alla mporoyme na xrhsimopoihsoyme mia mhxanh poy mporei na maw bohuhsei, alla den ua htan pragmatika ellhnika.

Edited by ellasevia on 16 December 2010 at 4:52am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 34 of 41
15 December 2010 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Polyglot_gr, your post is inappropriate on a language forum and even more so in the
personal log of someone who is working hard to master the language of Confucius. If
someone is longing for sushi, it does not matter how many more portions of French fries
he could get for the money.

Besides, Pinyin is not the answer. Due to homophones, it is actually a lot harder to
understand a text written in Pinyin rather than one written in characters, and this is
the more true the further you go into actual literature. And I'd like to see you copy-
paste a restaurant sign, a registration form, a warning label or even a daily
newspaper... being illiterate is neither fun nor practical.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 December 2010 at 7:36pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4984 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 35 of 41
15 December 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Polyglot_gr wrote:
It is really surprising for me to read the above posts, where non-
natives talk about learning Chinese characters.
Wake-up guys. We live in 2010. You can copy any Chinese text, paste it in those
specialized web pages and turn in into pinyin within seconds. Why spend half your life
studying something with little practical use, while you could learn 5-10 languages in
the same period?

One man's meat is another man's poison. Just because you don't have the interest,
passion or gumption to learn Chinese doesn't mean that you should deride another
person's efforts to do so. In my opinion, part of the allure of the Chinese language
lies in its unique writing system. Strip it away and you've lost the essence of the
language. If we're just going to romanize everything, there'll be no point in learning
alternate writing systems anymore. Culture, history and etymology be damned.

Besides, why stop at just Romanization? If you have to rely on a computer to decode
text for you, you might as well just go all out and have it translate the text for you
in the first place. There'll be no need to study the language in the first place. And
here I thought the whole point of learning languages was so that we didn't have to rely
on computers to do the deciphering.     

Edited by strikingstar on 15 December 2010 at 7:56pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 36 of 41
16 December 2010 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Polyglot_gr wrote:
It is really surprising for me to read the above posts, where non-natives talk about
learning Chinese characters.
Wake-up guys. We live in 2010. You can copy any Chinese text, paste it in those specialized web pages and turn
in into pinyin within seconds. Why spend half your life studying something with little practical use, while you
could learn 5-10 languages in the same period?

Strikingstar and Sprachprofi already addressed the main issues, but I'd like to add my two cents as well.

Firstly, it's not practical to rely on pinyin. If I were ever to go to China, I wouldn't be able to (as Sprachprofi has
mentioned) be able to read the newspaper or, perhaps more importantly, read any of the signs on the street.
Reading anything in print would be impossible, which, because my library has a large Chinese collection, will be
where the majority of my reading would be done. Also, as Sprachprofi has mentioned, Chinese has many
homophones - I'm 500 characters or so into my book and the pinyin shi4 has already been used for several
different characters.

Secondly, you don't seem to understand why I learn languages. A language for me is the gateway into the
culture. Learning Chinese characters will enable me to read the Dao De Jing and classical poetry as well as the
groundbreaking literature of leftist revolutionaries - whereas if you tried to read Beowulf and then Howl
, it would take years of studying the differences between Old English and modern. It opens up a whole new
world which I could easily spend a lifetime exploring.

Languages, to me, are not a race to reach proficiency and then abandon in search of new frontiers or some kind
of puzzle to be solved. If that's what you enjoy, by all means, knock yourself out. But I would expect that you at
least show a modicum of courtesy before waltzing into my log and telling me to "wake up".

Edited by Whitefish on 16 December 2010 at 1:21am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Polyglot_gr
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 4906 days ago

29 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Italian, SpanishC2, DutchC1, Swedish, PortugueseC1, Romanian, Polish, Catalan, Russian, Hungarian

Message 37 of 41
16 December 2010 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Being new in this forum, I was not aware that this was a private log. From now on I'll shut up! Good luck.

Edited by Polyglot_gr on 16 December 2010 at 11:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4959 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 38 of 41
18 December 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Whitefish, congratulations on your consistency! At first I just wanted to understand what the heck these chinese characters meant...so I studied a few chinese characters. Really, that was all i was interested in: learning about a dozen or so characters just so that i could know what they meant. (i used to be around many chinese caligraphies...long story.)

and the next thing i knew: i was learning Mandarin!!! hope you enjoy it as much as i am, and good luck :)

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 4959 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 39 of 41
18 December 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
...and I also did not understand polyglot's "wake-up" call. apparently i missed something... :)

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 40 of 41
19 December 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Polyglot_gr wrote:
Being new in this forum, I was not aware that this was a private log. From now on I'll shut
up! Good luck.

Hey polyglot. There's no need to apologize (or shut up, for that matter). You just be careful on how you make
your opinion known. I would have had no problem with you suggesting studying pinyin (I would have disagreed),
but making it seem like I'm stupid for studying characters is a little annoying.

No hard feelings though!

aerozeplyn wrote:
Whitefish, congratulations on your consistency! At first I just wanted to understand what
the heck these chinese characters meant...so I studied a few chinese characters. Really, that was all i was
interested in: learning about a dozen or so characters just so that i could know what they meant. (i used to be
around many chinese caligraphies...long story.)

and the next thing i knew: i was learning Mandarin!!! hope you enjoy it as much as i am, and good luck
:)

Similar story to me, huh? It's such a fascinating language, and learning Chinese has inspired me to learn more
about Chinese history and art as well. It's becoming a little bit of an obsession, I'm afraid.

Thank you for your wellwishes, and I wish you luck as well.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version