41 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6403 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 17 of 41
16 November 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
Whitefish wrote:
[QUOTE=ellasevia]
Another 25 characters today, and I'm proud today say that I've added the phrases 小便
and 大便 to my vocabulary! Could any Mandarin speakers verify that the translations for
"piss" and "shit" are indeed "little convenience" and "big convenience" respectively?

but I don't think that 便 is related to convenience.

Good luck :)

Really? How do you explain this wordplay then:

隨你的大便 :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5071 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 18 of 41
17 November 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Uh... Yeah, more or less. But German is the only one that I've
learned that I haven't had a significant advantage of some sort. English is my native
language, Greek is a language of my family, and I went to a bilingual English-Spanish
elementary school (I consider both Greek and Spanish secondary native languages). From
there, French, Portuguese, and Italian are so close to Spanish that it really was not
much effort, or at least not as much as it would have been coming from a more distant
language to any one of those.

That's still pretty amazing.

On an interesting note, I'm beginning to understand a few words here and there that I
listen to on my iPod. Not enough to decipher sentences or meaning, but it's a nice
reward to suddenly understand a word that you hear.

Got my 25 characters done today as well; didn't get nearly as much listening time as I
would have liked, but life happens.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5127 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 19 of 41
17 November 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Vlad wrote:
smallwhite wrote:
Whitefish wrote:
[QUOTE=ellasevia]
Another 25 characters today, and I'm proud today say that I've added the phrases 小便
and 大便 to my vocabulary! Could any Mandarin speakers verify that the translations for
"piss" and "shit" are indeed "little convenience" and "big convenience" respectively?

but I don't think that 便 is related to convenience.

Good luck :)

Really? How do you explain this wordplay then:

隨你的大便 :)

LOL... maybe it isn't a wordplay and the speaker means it literally; they're just as interested in 大便 as we are ;p

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5071 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 

Message 20 of 41
19 November 2010 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Hey kiddoes. Everything's still going well. I'm not getting as much Chinese listening
time as I would like, but school's been getting pretty busy. Still on track with my
characters; taking a break on Friday to review all of the characters I've acquired so far
(I'm at #200 in the book).

Some of the characters are a lot easier for me to remember. I really like 痲, 林, 要 so
far. They're just so much fun to right. I can't seem, for the life of me, to remember
characters like 王 and 言. Some characters are just easier to remember than others.

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5071 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 

Message 21 of 41
22 November 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Man,am I glad I took Friday off. My retention was brutal! I've pretty much got
things under control over the weekend, but I'm going to need to spend more time
reviewing as it is.

I went to the reference library today and looked at all of the language resources on
the shelves with a sad face. So many great courses... but no good Mandarin books! I
caught myself reading "Colloquial Vietnamese" with a bit of wanderlust...

Back to the Hanzi! I'm at #250 in my book, which pretty great, but my book teaches some
of the most obscure characters ever! I mean, I understand the reason for learning the
character for plum tree, but it's not the most useful character to know. In order to
sate my need for relevant characters, I've added five Hanzi from Yong Ho's "Chinese-
English Frequency Dictionary" on top of my usual 25 per day. My mom also, bless her
heart, bought me a 25$ gift certificate to iTunes to buy *legal* music. I think I'm
going to just buy Anki mobile instead ;). That way I can listen to Mandarin podcasts
and review Hanzi on my half hour commute from school every day.

The first week has gone pretty well. My Hanzi schedule has been established, and I'm at
30 Hanzi a day. It doesn't sound like much, but flipping through my children's novel, I
can make out one or two of the simpler phrases, which is very exciting! I am very
satisfied with how things are going right now.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5961 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 22 of 41
22 November 2010 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Whitefish wrote:
Back to the Hanzi! I'm at #250 in my book, which pretty great, but my book teaches some of the most obscure characters ever! I mean, I understand the reason for learning the character for plum tree, but it's not the most useful character to know.

The reason it does this is, assuming it's laid out like my Japanese kanji book was, because later, more important characters are built from these simpler, but perhaps less useful characters. This way when you get to something complicated with lots of components, it's easier to recognize the components and put them together than to just learn it as a whole and have to memorize way more seemingly random lines and squiggles.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6289 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 23 of 41
22 November 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Whitefish wrote:
My mom also, bless her
heart, bought me a 25$ gift certificate to iTunes to buy *legal* music. I think I'm
going to just buy Anki mobile instead ;). That way I can listen to Mandarin podcasts
and review Hanzi on my half hour commute from school every day.

Yes, do that! I found Anki mobile INCREDIBLY useful to get me to do my Anki reviews
regularly, especially the Chinese deck which is always 300-something reviews per day.
I've never studied so much Anki as since I got the iPhone app. At home, it's more fun and
less distracting than sitting at the computer. On the go, it allows me to turn a waste of
time into the most productive time of the day! ;-)

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5071 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 

Message 24 of 41
25 November 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
The reason it does this is, assuming it's laid out like my Japanese
kanji book was, because later, more important characters are built from these simpler,
but perhaps less useful characters. This way when you get to something complicated with
lots of components, it's easier to recognize the components and put them together than
to just learn it as a whole and have to memorize way more seemingly random lines and
squiggles.

Mmm-hmm, I'm figuring this out pretty quickly now. I'm getting into some good, useful
characters now, which is exciting.

Sprachprofi wrote:
Yes, do that! I found Anki mobile INCREDIBLY useful to get me to do
my Anki reviews
regularly, especially the Chinese deck which is always 300-something reviews per day.
I've never studied so much Anki as since I got the iPhone app. At home, it's more fun
and
less distracting than sitting at the computer. On the go, it allows me to turn a waste
of
time into the most productive time of the day! ;-)

Ugh, it's been a nightmare trying to install the damn thing! First I try and buy it,
then it tells me I'm like 60 cents short because of tax and such. So I quickly popped
out and bought a $15 gift card. Then I download the thing and I find out that I need a
newer version of iPod software (I still have a first generation iPod), which made me
angry, because I just got this maybe two years ago! So then I have to go and BUY the
stupid software, which I spent AGES looking for, until finally found it. Ugh, not fun.
It better be damn worth it! xD

A quick update: I'm really proud of myself for keeping on track with my character
projection. This week has been absolutely crazy in school, but I've never had a day yet
where I didn't do my 25, even if it was a somewhat half-assed job. The characters are
progressing by quickly and, strangely, I'm actually enjoying this step! It's so fun to
see new characters in the Chinese books that I've borrowed from my library; not enough
to make anything comprehensible, but just picking out the characters is fun.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version