Message 9 of 41
15 November 2010 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Vlad wrote:
Good luck! The longer you manage to keep this kind of motivation, the
better.

Thank you!

Tropi wrote:
Just a hint: Don't overdo it. If you get frustrated at some point you
might want to take a break. That's fatal. You lose them very easily, so be careful. ;)

This is good advice, I know. I did go for 100 characters today, but right now I'm just
trying to set up stable work habits so that I can get ~25 characters a day. I find that
if I break it up into 5-character blocks, it's easier to memorize and much more
manageable.

Tropi wrote:
BTW. You're in your final year and still have time to listen 6 hours a day
to Chinese? Either you don't sleep or you have an awesome timetable. ;)

I would also appreciate which audio material you listen to. Also, how much of it do you
understand?

School is *kind* of a joke. The university I'm applying to I'm almost guaranteed to get
into, but I need to get an average of 95%+ in order to get a scholarship - something
that is *not* happening. (I don't know why I'm using the asterisks...) So ya, I'm kind
of coasting this year. That sounds awful. I just really don't need to do that much work
to get good marks, and everything else seems like overkill.

I'm just listening to Mandarin news podcasts. Voices of America, Radio Free Asia, the
BBC Mandarin podcasts, etc. I understand roughly -5% of what's going on. I put -5
because I'm sure that I'm guessing wrong half of the time. The reason why I'm
inundating myself in all things Mandarin is because I'm trying to follow the AJATT
method, which suggests total immersion - he says 24 hours a day, which would kill me. I
need my sleep! So although I'm somewhat doubtful of its efficacy, I have - so to speak
- put my trust in him and drank the Kool-Aid. I figure that it won't distract too much
from my math homework, and a little Mandarin is better than no Mandarin.

Élan wrote:
I have some of the same questions as Tropi. What kind of audio material are
you using? Also, if you're looking for music in Mandarin other than pop, I posted some
of my favorites here.

Such a cute title! Good luck and enjoy the awesome motivation while it lasts!

Thank you for the music! I was going to put off making this log for a while, until I at
least became proficient enough not to be an embarrassment, but the name just came to me
and I was paranoid that it would be stolen.

paranday wrote:
Putong-What is available as a domain name.

Espany'all is already taken.

Shotty!

Thank you everyone for the comments I've received. It's only day two!

I can really see how the hanzi-grind could begin to wear on you after a while.
Especially because my book insists on teaching some of the lesser used characters
first. I know it's to lay down solid foundations so that I can easily recognize
radicals when I see them, but it really isn't the fastest thing in the world.

On the plus side, I find that it's much more logical than the book I was using before
hand 250 Essential Chinese Characters, and I find that this makes the characters
easier to memorize.

I think I'll spice up my character memorization sessions with Dora the Explorer
episodes. Not to mention the fact that I have a documentary entitled The Global
Family: The Migration of the Red Crab
, which is sure to give me tonnes of fun,
usable vocabulary.

EDIT: I almost forgot! I have access to Pimsleur Mandarin I-III for complete, 100% free
through my municipal library. Is it worth it, or should I just stick with my
memorization skills? I'm semi-trying to follow the AJATT methods, and I'm not sure if
it's worth my time to be doing Pimsleur on the side as well.

Edited by Whitefish on 15 November 2010 at 4:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 10 of 41
15 November 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your goals. I'm in my second-to-last year of high school, so we're probably similar ages.

I did a similar regimen for learning kanji for my Japanese from this past January to June, but only ten characters per day. I started off knowing 300 in January and ended with about 2000 by the end of June. Even this smaller amount was really tiring and I got completely burned out by June and then ended up abandoning my reviews, which are essential, for about four months. Even now I'm in the process of relearning and recovering them all.

In short, make sure that you're comfortable with your speed. It's not that hard in the beginning, but once you have about 1000 characters you might begin to wonder if this will ever end as you have more and more seemingly endless characters jammed into your brain. If this happens, I would recommend slowing down your pace and making sure you know all of the previously learned ones first before moving ahead. I made the mistake of assuming that it would all sort itself out and kept trudging along, and ended up burning out and forgetting much of what I knew as a result--NOT FUN AT ALL.

Anyways, good luck. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 11 of 41
15 November 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
I'd say the main difficulty of Mandarin is not the grammar, nor the vocabulary, nor
even the characters. It's that it takes forever till you reach a base, e. g. till you
can engage in meaningful conversations, understand movies without subtitles, read the
news, read a novel or the like. Working with textbooks for so long is tiring. With
Arabic it's the same issue.

With European languages you can enjoy native materials much sooner. Even Latin. Latin
is certainly among the harder European languages, but I created a course that enables
you to start reading the Roman classics after just 35 hours of study (including review
& Anki time). Volte did an abbreviated version in 3 days. And for languages like
Spanish, Italian and the like, you could conceivably read novels on your own after just
3 weeks of L-R. Granted this is not speaking, but for me, this kind of achievement
holds me over until the rest of my language abilities have caught up.

Going for Mandarin as a first foreign language is like trying to run a marathon before
you've run even 5 km. Anyway I wish you success and I'll be following this log!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 November 2010 at 11:16am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Whitefish
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5063 days ago

49 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 12 of 41
16 November 2010 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Good luck with your goals. I'm in my second-to-last year of high
school, so we're probably similar ages.

I did a similar regimen for learning kanji for my Japanese from this past January to
June, but only ten characters per day. I started off knowing 300 in January and ended
with about 2000 by the end of June. Even this smaller amount was really tiring and I
got completely burned out by June and then ended up abandoning my reviews, which are
essential, for about four months. Even now I'm in the process of relearning and
recovering them all.

In short, make sure that you're comfortable with your speed. It's not that hard in the
beginning, but once you have about 1000 characters you might begin to wonder if this
will ever end as you have more and more seemingly endless characters jammed into your
brain. If this happens, I would recommend slowing down your pace and making sure you
know all of the previously learned ones first before moving ahead. I made the mistake
of assuming that it would all sort itself out and kept trudging along, and ended up
burning out and forgetting much of what I knew as a result--NOT FUN AT ALL.

Anyways, good luck. :)

I guess I'll have to be careful, you're right. 25-a-day doesn't sound like much right
now, but I guess I'm just anxious to get going. If it becomes unpleasant or painful,
I'll be sure to ease up a bit. I'm also contemplating taking every Friday off and just
using it as a kind of "review" day, where I spend the day SRS-ing old characters and
don't learn any new ones, because I think retention is important.

PS: you're in your second-last year of high school and already know
sevenlanguages? I am in awe!

Sprachprofi wrote:
I'd say the main difficulty of Mandarin is not the grammar,
nor the vocabulary, nor
even the characters. It's that it takes forever till you reach a base, e. g. till you
can engage in meaningful conversations, understand movies without subtitles, read the
news, read a novel or the like. Working with textbooks for so long is tiring. With
Arabic it's the same issue.

With European languages you can enjoy native materials much sooner. Even Latin. Latin
is certainly among the harder European languages, but I created a course that enables
you to start reading the Roman classics after just 35 hours of study (including review
& Anki time). Volte did an abbreviated version in 3 days. And for languages like
Spanish, Italian and the like, you could conceivably read novels on your own after just
3 weeks of L-R. Granted this is not speaking, but for me, this kind of achievement
holds me over until the rest of my language abilities have caught up.

Going for Mandarin as a first foreign language is like trying to run a marathon before
you've run even 5 km. Anyway I wish you success and I'll be following this log!

Thanks for the advice as well.

Another 25 characters today, and I'm proud today say that I've added the phrases 小便
and 大便 to my vocabulary! Could any Mandarin speakers verify that the translations for
"piss" and "shit" are indeed "little convenience" and "big convenience" respectively?

Edited by Whitefish on 16 November 2010 at 1:25pm

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 41
16 November 2010 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Whitefish wrote:
EDIT: I almost forgot! I have access to Pimsleur Mandarin I-III for complete, 100% free
through my municipal library. Is it worth it, or should I just stick with my
memorization skills?
I highly recommend Pimsleur Mandarin, but don't know if it will fit into your program.
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 14 of 41
16 November 2010 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
Whitefish wrote:
PS: you're in your second-last year of high school and already know sevenlanguages? I am in awe!

Uh... Yeah, more or less. But German is the only one that I've learned that I haven't had a significant advantage of some sort. English is my native language, Greek is a language of my family, and I went to a bilingual English-Spanish elementary school (I consider both Greek and Spanish secondary native languages). From there, French, Portuguese, and Italian are so close to Spanish that it really was not much effort, or at least not as much as it would have been coming from a more distant language to any one of those.

Edited by ellasevia on 16 November 2010 at 4:36am

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5861 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 15 of 41
16 November 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
My two cents; characters aren't that important; the words they make are.

加油!

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5119 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 16 of 41
16 November 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Whitefish wrote:
[QUOTE=ellasevia]
Another 25 characters today, and I'm proud today say that I've added the phrases 小便
and 大便 to my vocabulary! Could any Mandarin speakers verify that the translations for
"piss" and "shit" are indeed "little convenience" and "big convenience" respectively?

小便 and 大便 are correct. They're both both nouns (the product) and verbs (the process). 小 and 大 do refer to small and big, but I don't think that 便 is related to convenience.

Good luck :)

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version