forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5346 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 25 of 29
08 December 2010 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Coges wrote:
Thanks for that guys. Feeling a bit simple at the moment. I actually learnt a variation (is it the same meaning but in deferential form?) on that in the first Pimsleur lesson. It is (I think) 할 수 있습니다.

Correct. 할 수 있습니다 means the same thing, but in the highest speech register (formal polite). In fact, in one of the first lessons of Pimsleur they teach 조금 할 수 있습니다 (given as: "I speak a little." even though it literally means something more like: "I do a little.") and that phrase has the same meaning as 조금 할 수 있어요, it's just more formal.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Studies: Korean

Message 26 of 29
10 December 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that Warp3. I'm slowly getting there.

Thursday 9th December
Nil Korean

Friday 10th December
This morning I did Pimsleur Lesson 5 on the way to work. This lesson introduces a lot of new words and phrases. Mainly based around basic eating and drinking expressions. Will transcribe these over the weekend.
1 person has voted this message useful

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 27 of 29
14 December 2010 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Friday 10th December
I was down for a little pop culture on the way home and decided to watch The Good, The Bad and The Weird. Got through the first 40 minutes or so. Not bad so far.

Again no Korean on the weekend. Finding it really hard to get time to study but then again, maybe doing it five days a week is enough at the moment.

Monday 13th December
I finished off The Good, The Bad and The Weird over both train trips today. Really an enjoyable movie but most likely useless to the Korean learner considering there is Korean, Chinese and Japanese languages all mixed in there and over the action a lot was not all that audible. Having said that it was enjoyable.

I did get the chance today on my lunch break to go back and redo some exercises from unit 5 of the grammar book. I got nearly all of them correct this time so quite happy with that. That did take me the best part of 45 minutes though.

Tuesday 14th December
Nothing this morning. Was too tired and slept on the way to work. On a side note I have been listening to some Clazziquai and some other Korean music. Not sure it’s really helping at this point but most of it’s enjoyable to listen to.

I read through unit 7 of the grammar book on lunch today and will do the exercises on the way home tonight.

All in all not going too bad.

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 28 of 29
14 December 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Tuesday 14th December
Started Unit 7 of the Basic Grammar book on the way home tonight. It covered off the special particle 은 un / 는 nun as a topic marker. This unit covered off how this particle is used to switch topics and compare and contrast topics. Also, from my understanding it appears at the beginning of a sentence as well making it easier to identify.

The exercises were quite easy and I feel that I am beginning to get a handle on some of this stuff. Obviously it’s much easier in written format than recognizing it during conversation.

I’ve also been a bit slack with the Pimsleur. I will transcribe lesson 5 on the way home tonight and then endeavour to cover off two lessons per week along with two units of the grammar book.

Cheers.     

Coges
Australia
Joined 4933 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 29 of 29
22 December 2010 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Hey guys, been flat out with work and Christmas stuff so no Korean over the weekend or Monday. Do feel the need to stay on top of this though. It’s as if you take two steps forward and one step back if you miss a couple of days.

Tuesday 21st December
Revisited Pimsleur lesson 5. Have still not transcribed this and I see the need for a good dictionary in order to do it. By just doing it off the top of my head I am often transcribing incorrectly which makes for terrible revision as the pronunciation ends up completely wrong.

Wednesday 22nd December
Basic Grammar Unit 8 this morning. This unit focuses on pronouns and was quite interesting. I am actually finding the grammar book more interesting at this stage than the Pimsleur study. This is probably because of the exercises that you can do at the end of each unit and you generally feel that you have accomplished something. I finished all but one exercise this morning (translating some sentences) so will complete this on the way home tonight.

Btw, has anyone had any success in using software to hardcode subtitles to media files? I have a couple of TV series that I want to hardcode the subtitles on so that I can watch them on my phone.

Cheers.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version