Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6899 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 9 of 72
08 December 2010 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
What I find utterly bizarre about some of the "feedback" provided is the outrage and personal offence taken by these <insert noun of choice here> as if someone tied them down in front of the computer, forced them to type in the url and threatened them with terrible consequences if they didn't sit through the video...

Top tip: It's like a TV folks - Don't watch it if it's going to p*ss you off that much.
11 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6715 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 72
08 December 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
Good point. I remember when I was in college back in the 80s and my goal was to learn more than 50 languages. I bought every book I could find about every language (no internet then) and I thought I could even get into the Guinness World Record Book. Sometimes we get a little jealous of the 20 year-olds who seem to have years of language-study time ahead of them (with better resources that we did). However, what the 20 years olds do not realize is that real life soon intervenes (you have a job, family and other responsibilities and you get tired faster) and you realize you simply do not have time to study and maintain more than a limited number of foreign languages. Like most of us, they will more than likely have to eventually pair down their ambitions to a dozen or so languages. You could not tell me that in the 80s and you cannot tell them that now. This is something that every polyglot (regrettably) has to learn on their own.

Journeyer wrote:
      Most of us have probably had similar excited notions of speaking several languages fluently and build it up in our heads.   

Edited by translator2 on 08 December 2010 at 1:55pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6715 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 11 of 72
08 December 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Article: Empty Compliments and the Language Learner

"...Meeting a new Thai person I simply said “Sawadis krap.” Without a second’s hesitation, he said, in English “You Speak Thai very well.” Was I supposed to feel encouraged? Should my head have swollen to monumental proportions because of this meaningful recognition of my linguistic prowess?..."

Edited by translator2 on 08 December 2010 at 2:03pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6715 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 12 of 72
08 December 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Learn Ossetian
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4926 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 13 of 72
08 December 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
Learn Ossetian

While maybe interesting, what does this have to do with the topic at hand?

R.
==
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 72
08 December 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
I guess I'm thinking of threads like the infamous one about Ziad Fazah. He was regarded as a bit like a hero until that thread got into full swing.

Ziad Fazad was regarded as something of a hero until we had the opportunity to see that infamous video where he was asked in Russian which day in the week it was and couldn't answer - just to mention one example. There are cases where people overstate their abilities grossly and get whacked, and he is the best example of that. In such a case you can't expect clemency. On the other hand there are examples where people make a really good video and receive vicious comments from a number of viewers who mostly haven't contributed anything themselves. But criticizing others can apparently be a lifestyle.

With my videos I always block the evaluation of comments because I can see the absurd results it gives for other videos on Youtube, but I have - with much hesitation - left the possibility of commenting open for everybody. And so far without being as viciously attacked as some other uploaders. Of course I have received some critical comments, mostly about my pronunciation in some languages (including speaking too fast in English). I have always emphasized that speaking is my weakest skill, and I actually I made some of the videos without ever having spoken those languages so I have no illusions about the level of my pronunciation in those videos. I can't say that I have got any criticism yet that wasn't constructive and wellfounded. So I have in a sense been lucky ... so far. But the troubles probably start when you get too successful for some viewers' taste.

translator2 wrote:
"...Meeting a new Thai person I simply said “Sawadis krap.” Without a second’s hesitation, he said, in English “You Speak Thai very well.”

Which just goes to show that unwarranted lavish praise also can be a problem.

hrhenry wrote:
I think the negative remarks come when we see people come around with "I speak xxx number of languages. What do you all think?" There's no asking for feedback, just stating that they speak however many languages. And I suppose when you're not actually asking for feedback or tips on improvement, you're bound to get negative criticism.

Hm, I had to think this one over. I rarely ask for comments, and as far as I remember I haven't done it in any of my 28 or so videos so far. If I get constructive criticism I will of course read it thoroughly through and try to learn from it, but my purpose with those videos wasn't to elicit comments.

Some see language learning as a process where you make statements in a target language and get criticism from a teacher or a (near)native speaker, and you are supposed to learn from that kind of communicative interaction. I see my language learning as a very personal process where I absorb knowledge from my sources and try out my skills by thinking, writing and speaking (in that order). It is not really important whether anybody listens, and while I appreciate the effort people lay in giving me constructive criticism it isn't something I see as a central element in my learning process. To me it has the same function as reading a passage in a grammar and suddenly realizing that I have been making some persistent kind of error. It doesn't matter whether I have made that error in a video or how I noticed it, the point is that I should stop making it.

So making a video has in the main two functions: it is a documentation of my level here and now (in the same way as a vocabulary count) and it forces me to do something about my vocal skills which I have a tendency to neglect. But it isn't a plea for corrections.

Until now this habit of NOT asking for feedback or tips hasn't brought me problems. I hope it will stay that way.

Edited by Iversen on 14 December 2010 at 7:46am

3 persons have voted this message useful

djc463
Heptaglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5597 days ago

51 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, German, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 72
08 December 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
People shouldn't be surprised by this... why do topics like this exist on this website? Look at politics, athletics,
cinema... if you're in the spotlight, you're going to have people criticize. However, if you receive overwhelming
criticism, you may want to consider if the critics are right, and learn something from them.

"If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
-Bill Cosby

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
-Winston Churchill
4 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4926 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 16 of 72
08 December 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
... but my purpose with those videos wasn't to elicit comments.

... I see my language learning as a very personal process where I absorb knowledge from my sources and try out my skills by thinking, writing and speaking (in that order). It is not really important whether anybody listens, and while I appreciate the effort people lay in giving me constructive criticism it isn't something I see as a central element in my learning process.
So making a video has in the main two functions: it is a documentation of my level here and now (in the same way as a vocabulary count) and it forces me to do something about my vocal skills which I have a tendency to neglect. But it isn't a plea for corrections.

Indeed, I think self-documentation is important to gauge your progress. But I differ in opinion when it comes putting the video(s) online. Then it ceases to become a purely personal tool and you are implicitly asking for feedback.

I just can't see any other reason a person would put such a video online (I mean a video of a single person showcasing their language skills, not actually imparting any method used in learning, etc.)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version