youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5211 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 49 of 72
05 January 2012 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
Haha, I'm not sure that last paragraph was any more negative than the rest of your post. :) I'm going to go read something encouraging now...

Humph. >_<

The intent was somewhat to be reassuring to those aspirant polyglots who beat themselves up (proverbially, hopefully) because they feel their language studies aren't progressing as well as they feel they ought to be.

But hopefully you did eventually find something encouraging to read. :)

Iversen wrote:
If you had written "(near)native fluency" in more than five languages I might have accepted this, but it is unclear to me what you mean by "genuine adult-level fluency".

I consider "fluency" and "native fluency" to be one and the same. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't speak like a native, you're not fluent.

I additionally made sure to qualify my statement with the disclaimer, "the average person"—meaning someone who hasn't dedicated his or her entire life—more or less—to studying languages (in the sense of, for example, replacing a contemporaneous career). I don't know your personal allocation of time, but considering your impressive repertoire, you may very well be in this group. ;)

Edited by nway on 05 January 2012 at 5:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 72
05 January 2012 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
We have had long and complicated discussions about the meaning of the word "fluency". It is pretty clear that you can use it about ease and speed of output (in accordance with its etymology), but many or most people also use it about correctness, not only concerning grammar, but also style and pronunciation. When an important element in the discussion is whether you need to 'revive' a language before using it then the first meaning is definitely in play, but not necessarily the second one. This forum operates with the notion "basic fluency", where you can speak in a fluent way about normal subjects (and probably also about your own favorite topics), but you don't have to sound like a native, and you are allowed to make some minor errors now and then as long as they don't disrupt communication.

You can of course choose to demand more than basic fluency from potential polyglots, but that's your own choice - and the result is, as you have noticed yourself, that very few persons qualify, and if they do then with a very low number of languages. Personally I include 'basic fluency' languages in the definition, because the important thing for language collectors in my view is the ease and ever-readiness of your languages rather than an extreme level of perfection. To be sure, this shouldn't stop anybody from trying to weed out their errors and working their way towards advanced fluency, but if you really want to make prospective language learners sad then setting an unrealistically high bar from the beginning is just the way to do it.

Edited by Iversen on 05 January 2012 at 11:14am

2 persons have voted this message useful

anjathilina
Diglot
United States
Joined 6400 days ago

33 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Hindi

Message 51 of 72
05 January 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
... if you really want to make prospective language learners sad then
setting an unrealistically high bar from the beginning is just the way to do it.

Exactly. That is why, nway, your post sounds negative.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5211 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 

Message 52 of 72
05 January 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
anjathilina wrote:
Exactly. That is why, nway, your post sounds negative.

I'm a realist, not an optimist. :)

I suppose I'll reiterate that my point was that, as aspirant polyglots, we shouldn't get too carried away with with the expectation that languages should be easier to master than they actually are, and the positive implication of this is that everything we have achieved is therefore that much more commendable.

I don't think there's anything negative in pointing out that language isn't just another subject—it's the mechanism through which all other subjects are transmitted. Mastery of a musical instrument can be a lifelong endeavor, but it's still limited to the point of self-containment—you can't transpose its functions to the infinite fields of history, science, or literature (which makes mastery of the instrument much more definable and manageable).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 53 of 72
05 January 2012 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
If you insist that "fluency" needs to mean "adult native fluency", the vast majority of Europe is suddenly monolingual. That Swiss banker and Dutch businessman you see in the corner who do complicated business in 6 languages each are suddenly both only 'fluent' in one. Universities are full of people (both students and professors) who have spent their whole academic life in a language and are well-regarded in their field, but suddenly can't use the word "fluent" to describe their level of ability in it any longer. Even people who live off of their language skills, such as proofreaders and authors who work in a language which is not native to them, can suddenly be stripped of use of the word 'fluency', regardless of how useful their work is even to educated native speakers of the language in question.

And, if you stretch it to include understanding regional variation, suddenly no who speaks a language with any cultural differences from place to place, such as English, can claim fluency in it any longer.

Defining "fluent" and "adult (educated?) native speaker" to be equivalent terms has some drawbacks, including making the term "fluent" entirely pointless and redundant.

7 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6664 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 54 of 72
05 January 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
There can be a hair-splitting difference between learning a language and using a language, in that while using it you continue to learn it.

In the same way you can say you never really truly know someone, you are always getting to know them the more time you spend with them.

That said, I strongly feel that for most people, the most practical way they look at it is that they learn it and get to know enough to use the language. Spending the rest of their life is unnecessary because they've reached a comfort(able enough) level with their adopted language.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5211 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 

Message 55 of 72
05 January 2012 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
If you insist that "fluency" needs to mean "adult native fluency", the vast majority of Europe is suddenly monolingual. That Swiss banker and Dutch businessman you see in the corner who do complicated business in 6 languages each are suddenly both only 'fluent' in one. Universities are full of people (both students and professors) who have spent their whole academic life in a language and are well-regarded in their field, but suddenly can't use the word "fluent" to describe their level of ability in it any longer. Even people who live off of their language skills, such as proofreaders and authors who work in a language which is not native to them, can suddenly be stripped of use of the word 'fluency', regardless of how useful their work is even to educated native speakers of the language in question.

Just because you're not fluent in a language doesn't mean you can't speak it at all. There's no need to deal in absolutes here.

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5891 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 56 of 72
05 January 2012 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
nway wrote:
I'm personally of the opinion that, for the average person, achieving authentic
hyperpolyglottery (which I'll define here as maintaining genuine adult-level fluency in each of more than five
languages) is actually impossible.

Languages aren't like Pokémon cards that can be collected after a year or so of investment and then thrown
into the back pocket for later use.

Every single distinct language is an entire identity to be constructed and mindset to be
internalized, requiring a study of more or less all the non-specialized and non-jargon terms that its entire
linguistic community has, over the span of centuries, developed in order to frame their entire
worldview—be it cooking utensils, biological terms, intangible conceptual ideas, or the names of hundreds
upon hundreds of contemporary, historical, and cultural figures—both local and foreign alike.

Most native speakers underestimate the fact that they've literally spent their entire lives learning their own
languages. For those of us who are native English speakers, we didn't just learn English in our writing,
grammar, and literature classes at school. We learned it in our math, history, science, and
music classes. We learned it at church. We learned it while watching hundreds of movies
and listening to thousands of songs. We learned it while chatting with our friends on AIM and
later Facebook. We learned it while watching TV and reading magazines. We even learned
it while studying foreign languages (who here knew what fricatives, inflection, agglutination, or
isolating languages were before studying foreign languages?).

For most people, learning their native language(s) is a lifelong endeavor. Those who decide to
forge a new life at the age of 20 or 30 by pursuing an entirely new repertoire of grammatical
conceptualizations and lexical frameworks truly fight an uphill battle.

And finally, most individuals shoulder an entire mountain of obligations—education, career, health, friends,
family, and even other hobbies—which, without actively traveling abroad, typically all occur in their native
languages
. This is why most people don't make (and seriously commit to) a hobby of learning foreign
languages. Balancing a single foreign language with a normal multifaceted life of a multitude of non-related
obligations is difficult enough. But successfully pursuing polyglottery in this context is outright impossible.

In short, time spent doing something is time not spent doing something else. I believe it's possible to
achieve hyperpolyglottery at the expense of all other optional pursuits, but this is an unreasonable sacrifice to
expect of any poor soul.

...except, of course, those who claim to know (not study, but know) dozens of languages, without being
able to validate their claims. I'm not mad at them, as their lies don't hurt anyone at all, but I also don't think it's
uncalled for to call them out on their BS.

I hate to end my post on that last negative paragraph, but I felt I had to tie it into the current stream of
discussion. :)

I almost get what you mean, but i am not fully on board here. Yes, knowing a language like a native is tough
and a lot of work. But this is being near-native and not just fluent. I have read quite a lot of wildly differing
opinions on fluency, and this is up there. By your definition there are native speakers I know, less able to
discuss a variety of topics than me in their mother tongue...indeed some would fail a C2 exam...so they no
longer have a fluent language...??? Nah...

There is a flaw in the logic. Whilst I am all for being able to define levels to accurately describe ability, we
cannot simply throw away a label on a whim and confuse the definitions for a native speaker, near-native
speaker and a fluent speaker of a language. You can then discuss educated native speakers etc. until the
cows come home.

In the real world, being able to work or study or live in a language and have unrestricted ability in daily
activites is considered fluent. This may not be perfect, but certainly fluent in so much as the person has
sufficient command of the language to not have recourse to another language to completes tasks, converse
and have a normal social life in the language.    Just my 2 cents on the matter... :)

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version